Home

How Close Are Sports Games to Reaching their Graphical Peak?

This is a discussion on How Close Are Sports Games to Reaching their Graphical Peak? within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-12-2018, 11:10 AM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
How Close Are Sports Games to Reaching their Graphical Peak?

If you grew up during the explosion of video games as entertainment in the ‘80s and...

Written By: TJ Henderson

Click here to view the article.
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-12-2018, 12:21 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: How Close Are Sports Games to Reaching their Graphical Peak?

I think as big of a question could be: Will we ever see the end of the yearly release cycle? Obviously 2k and EA are making insane money off of 2k and Madden, respectively. But I wonder if slowing things down to an every other year or every third year wouldn't allow for more innovative features, enhanced graphics, and refined gameplay. I'll look at 2k as an example.

Obviously this is all moot as 2k would never get away from forcing people into the VC cycle every year. However, if they did, imagine the kind of game we could get. Putting more emphasis into a seamless gameplay transition from PlayNow into Career and, within Career, Park to Rec Center to ProAm to a Career game. Each play unique enough now but what if the cap breaks took longer? What if you knew that if you could get to 99 with your player, you could keep him for another year or two? Imagine how much sweeter getting that Gym Rat badge would taste or hitting the next cap level if you knew you didn't have to redo this entire process next year? It could be treated like something like Destiny with large updates (maybe redefine the concept of the neighborhood. Move it out to, say, a coast and have the first set of parks on the beach with future DLC bringing inner city). They already have the continously updated rosters, courts, and uniforms. Would it be that much more of a stretch to see them simply skip a year to really hone in and focus on making the game better and different rather than small changes each year?

Yes, because VC.
Old 11-12-2018, 01:28 PM   #3
Rookie

@Bryan
We are starting to see some of the indie sports games (The Golf Club, Project CARS) working a semi-annual development cycle, and Codemasters still manages to crank out an incredible F1 experience annually.
EA's problem is, well, EA itself.* The NHL series is having to get by on miniscule budgets compared to Madden, but that does not in any way excuse Rammer's go-to answer to all the legacy issues on this generation being, essentially, "Look!* Squirrel!"
A man so oblivious to customer demands,* who seems to think that the solution to stagnation in flagship modes is to introduce even more modes, and who, after years of demand for better servers, puts even more of the core game online, does not belong in game design; he belongs in politics.
Old 11-12-2018, 01:30 PM   #4
Member of Rush Nation

CujoMatty's Arena

OVR: 4
Being 44 and a gamer my whole life it has been amazing seeing where we are and where we came from. I think graphics will always improve but it will be more the technical aspects. We already see it with NVIDIA Ray tracing and little things that add to the realism will be what drastically improves. Take hair for example. It’s much much better now on ps4 than even ps3 but still has a long way to go. There’s a bunch of things that will improve with technology. I think the bigger aspect that changes drastically now is how it all is offered to the consumer. Streaming advancements, smaller consoles if even we have consoles, phones as powerful as a cpu or console, *VR,.

Last edited by CujoMatty; 11-12-2018 at 01:35 PM.
Old 11-12-2018, 03:57 PM   #5
MVP

I'm fine with how graphics are now.* Give me 60 frames per second across the board , smarter adaptive A.I., better real time physics & better collision detection.* Eliminate player clipping!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-12-2018, 04:34 PM   #6
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

They are pretty close. However I can honestly say the weather effects could be way better in Madden. They haven't touched the weather effects in Madden in over a decade now. It is a shame really for it to be 2018 and to have such basic weather in Madden. I mean even FIFA have fog, drizzle, heavy rain, flurries and heavy snow. I never did like the snow in Madden, just don't look natural. Other then that, they could better portray sweat on players in sports games.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:29 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 19

graphics will continuously improve, to say that they have capped out is very shortsighted. full 4k technology and power have yet to reach its full potential, and these media companies are already pushing 8k as the next great big thing.

greater processing power means greater things. improved AI, graphics etc.
gaming has yet to unlock a full breathing complete graphical environment.

there is so much more that can be done with sports game as far as graphics, AI and functionality. I am not worried about the advances in sports games but more so the lack of developers making these games due to licensing agreements.
Old 11-13-2018, 07:02 AM   #8
MVP

timmg's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
They are pretty close. However I can honestly say the weather effects could be way better in Madden. They haven't touched the weather effects in Madden in over a decade now. It is a shame really for it to be 2018 and to have such basic weather in Madden. I mean even FIFA have fog, drizzle, heavy rain, flurries and heavy snow. I never did like the snow in Madden, just don't look natural. Other then that, they could better portray sweat on players in sports games.

It would be cool if it started raining during the game, or rain turned to snow. Basically the weather changed during the game. Im ok with the graphics, how about improved AI

Last edited by timmg; 11-13-2018 at 07:03 AM. Reason: Up

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »