Home

Do You Watch Esports, Why or Why Not?

This is a discussion on Do You Watch Esports, Why or Why Not? within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-19-2019, 09:00 AM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
Do You Watch Esports, Why or Why Not?

Roundtable Question: A lot of the biggest esports events related to sports games either started or...

Written By: Operation Sports

Click here to view the article.
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-19-2019, 12:45 PM   #2
Rookie

ToughJuice's Arena

OVR: 0
Nope .* *If ive got time to watch Esports* Ive got time to watch real sports or game myself*
Old 11-19-2019, 12:52 PM   #3
Rookie

Balldude777's Arena

I've never been interested in esports and I'm not sure I will. I love playing video games as much as anyone but I think my main motivation for playing is my competitive nature and I just like to play any sort of game whether it's board games, arcade games, or fantasy football, video games is easy because I can just play against the CPU or online.

eSports is something that I think is trying to fit in the athletic sport category but I just don't think I can ever give it that respect. No disrespect to those who are good enough to be apart of these competitions and make money off of it, that's great for them. I'm just old school I guess and it actually makes me cringe at the thought of people playing video games for a living, I think I just consider it nerd culture. Don't get me wrong I'm a huge nerd but I just can't accept this as a sport. I guess I have to look at it more as a comparison to a competitive chess player except there is actually more money to be earned it seems because of the following. I just dread the idea of kids pursuing the dream of playing video games instead of going into another field that could benefit society. Just my opinion for now.
Old 11-19-2019, 02:17 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 4
No. I have no interest in watching scrawny nerds puff out their chests like they're actual athletes when they've performed well in a video game.* I also can't stand all of the childish nicknames all of the players have for themselves and the immature trash talk (Madden tournaments, especially). Finally, I'll just play the games myself instead of watching others play if I get in the mood to be entertained by them.

But as a 37 year-old, I know I'm not the target audience. They're setting the foundation for the future by attracting young fans to grow with them over the years. I think e-sports will be huge in the next 10-15 years. And for those e-sports "athletes," I applaud them for getting paid for playing video games. They've worked the system well.
Old 11-19-2019, 10:25 PM   #5
Pro

Retropyro's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Do You Watch Esports, Why or Why Not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kings
I think e-sports will be huge in the next 10-15 years.
Umm, it's already huge.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...e-viewer-type/

I have zero interest in watching sports games, but I'll watch tournament for games like Rainbow Six etc.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-20-2019, 07:38 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retropyro
Umm, it's already huge.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...e-viewer-type/

I have zero interest in watching sports games, but I'll watch tournament for games like Rainbow Six etc.
By huge, I mean being more popular than actual sports.
Old 11-20-2019, 09:30 AM   #7
Rookie

Can't wait for this bubble to burst. There's nothing less appealing than watching some random dude play a game that you don't even enjoy playing yourself and looks nothing like the real sport.

The strange thing is that sports games were more entertaining to watch before companies decided to invest in esports. But instead of an honest competitive scene it's just an elaborate new marketing campaign/advertisement for their pay to win micro transactions. It's no surprise that the meta is laughable, companies are offering in-game rewards just to get decent viewing numbers, contestants hardly make a living and no one else cares.
Old 11-20-2019, 10:18 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 13

While I would never consider watching e-sports, and cannot remotely understand the interest in it, I would say the same about bowling, golf, figure skating, car racing, etc. To each his own!

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »