Home

What do you consider "rich"?

This is a discussion on What do you consider "rich"? within the OS Neighborhood forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-25-2009, 02:55 PM   #33
All Star

SuperBowlNachos's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: What do you consider "rich"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsfan203
I live kind of close to Southlake. That's what I call rich.
Southlake is the richest town in America.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:58 PM   #34
Hall Of Fame

superjames1992's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by fistofrage
Its all relative. The thing I find interesting is that the person making $25K most likely has a cell phone, cable and roughly the same diet as the person making $100K per year. The main difference between the 2 is going to be difference in housing and possibly vehicle in most cases, quite a few of the other components are relatively similar.

If you live in small town USA, $25K per year can live relatively decent. In fact probably has more amenities and room in their house than the person in a major metropolitan area making $100K.
Yeah, the USA's "poor" would be the rich in many other countries.

$100K isn't as much as you would think. Between housing payments, bills, taxes (and $100K puts you in a much higher tax bracket), and everything else, you don't have much money left over. You can't just blow it. Just watch the Dave Ramsey Show on Fox Business. It's pretty hilarious to see all these people making $100K+ that are broke simply because they can't manage their finances.

Last edited by superjames1992; 03-25-2009 at 05:01 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:22 PM   #35
MVP

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by superjames1992
Yeah, the USA's "poor" would be the rich in many other countries.

$100K isn't as much as you would think. Between housing payments, bills, taxes (and $100K puts you in a much higher tax bracket), and everything else, you don't have much money left over. You can't just blow it. Just watch the Dave Ramsey Show on Fox Business. It's pretty hilarious to see all these people making $100K+ that are broke simply because they can't manage their finances.
Read last week's Sports Illustrated. They had a pretty long story about professional athletes who have gone broke because they squandered their money or put it into the wrong hands/bad investments. It's really mind-boggling that a person who makes as much as seven figures per year could be bankrupt. 60 percent of NBA players are broke within five years of retiring from the league.

New York Giants- 1927, 1934, 1938, 1956, 1986, 1990, 2007.

PSN ID- matt8204
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-25-2009, 05:23 PM   #36
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46

Rich is an opinion. Like others have said, it depends on location, upbringing (a poor family will more likely have kids that see a smaller amount of cash as rich, while a wealthier family will have a differently value of rich).

Wealthy, I think is entirely different. When I think someone is wealthy, they can buy pretty much anything they want with cash and not break a sweat (or check their bank account). Those are the Billionaires and Millionaires of this world.

I'd love to make 100K. I would be rich if I did because I don't really need much to be happy. IfI made 40% of that number I would have everything I need in life. Of course, if I got married, had kids, needed a bigger house, then that 40K would never be enough.
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Old 03-25-2009, 05:29 PM   #37
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt8204
Read last week's Sports Illustrated. They had a pretty long story about professional athletes who have gone broke because they squandered their money or put it into the wrong hands/bad investments. It's really mind-boggling that a person who makes as much as seven figures per year could be bankrupt. 60 percent of NBA players are broke within five years of retiring from the league.
I stopped being confused by this when I realized a long time ago that for most people an increase in cash means an increase in expenses. People don't know how to live within a means.

A lot of people (and this is a fact. Just look around) want a raise at work. They think that by getting a raise, they'll be happier. But what happens when they get that raise? They just end up enhancing their personal life. So, the money is still spent and they have more bills.

These athletes go from making nothing to making millions. So they go out and buy multi-million dollars mansions, expensive cars, and spend money on ridiculous things. By the time they know it, they are buried in debt (owing money on those things). Instead of buying something straight up with cash - something affordable, they see they have a lot of money and take a step up. "I can now afford that 50 million dollar house instead of the one million dollar one. I make $10 million a year anyway. It'll be paid in five years."

Yes, it will, and now you have a major injury or decline and you no longer make as much money to match the new expenses in your life. That's why a guy like Sprewell feels justified to say that millions of dollars couldn't feed his family. He's right. It wouldn't feed his family because they are living in a more expensive lifestyle and didn't realize that being an athlete is not a life-time money maker.
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer

Last edited by CMH; 03-25-2009 at 05:32 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:32 PM   #38
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeePride
Rich is an opinion. Like others have said, it depends on location, upbringing (a poor family will more likely have kids that see a smaller amount of cash as rich, while a wealthier family will have a differently value of rich).

Wealthy, I think is entirely different. When I think someone is wealthy, they can buy pretty much anything they want with cash and not break a sweat (or check their bank account). Those are the Billionaires and Millionaires of this world.

I'd love to make 100K. I would be rich if I did because I don't really need much to be happy. IfI made 40% of that number I would have everything I need in life. Of course, if I got married, had kids, needed a bigger house, then that 40K would never be enough.
The more you have, the more you want. Its human nature. $100K doesn't go nearly as far as you'd think it would.

Here's a breakdown on $100K:

Taxes $25,000
Childcare $10,000
House Payment $20,000
Car Payments $9000
Health Insurance $3000
Utilities $6000

By the time you throw in Food, Gas, and other, there isn't a whole lot leftover. Like I said the main difference between someone making $30K and $100K will be the housing and possibly the car. Cell phone, diet, cable, electronics will be basically the same.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:33 PM   #39
MVP

OVR: 15

It's impossible to agree on a figure here because we all come from different parts of the country where prices and average salaries vary so much.

A friend of mine's family moved to the San Francisco Bay Area from Texas and bought a house for about $150k that was absolutely tiny. Eventually they went back to Texas and bought a huge property in rural Texas for $125k. 10 acres of land and their house's size must have quintupled. Part of me doesn't believe that price but they have no reason to lie. That just goes to show how different prices can be.

If I had to pick a figure for the Bay Area, I'd estimate $250k would make you "rich." But I do agree with whomever mentioned this above that being truly rich has more to do with having financial freedom to do what you want. This freedom comes from what you own and hold.

If you're making $250k but slave away for 60-80 hours a week and can only save 5% of your salary, are you really free? Those who are truly rich are those who have so much in the bank they don't have to work anymore and still live comfortable and pleasurable lives.

Last edited by GeePee20; 03-25-2009 at 05:36 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:17 PM   #40
MVP

Matt Diesel's Arena

OVR: 20

I'd say a net worth of over 5 million is rich. 250k a year is really not that much money. It is comfortable, but not rich.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood »