Home

The Food and Beverage Thread

This is a discussion on The Food and Beverage Thread within the OS Neighborhood forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-21-2009, 12:29 PM   #33
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: The Food and Beverage Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgx2thez
Stumble does the damn thing in the kitchen.
No shiggity...

Never thought I'd be looking for this on OS but, Stumble, I SERIOUSLY want to make a good ginger sauce. Either for chicken or maybe a catfish. Got any ideas?
Old 07-21-2009, 01:25 PM   #34
Livin' the dream

Stumbleweed's Arena

OVR: 39

Grate/mince ginger really finely (a microplane would be great because it gets lots of juice out also), add to some soy sauce (not too much so it doesn't overpower the ginger) and rice wine vinegar in a sauce pan. Add some brown sugar (or honey), garlic.. and chilies if you want. Make a "slurry" with a teaspoon of corn starch and some hot water (just dissolve it and make sure there are no lumps).. add that to the mixture and let it come to a boil, where it will start to thicken quite a bit.

If it gets too thick, just add more soy/vinegar and whisk.. keep in mind that it will thicken as it cools as well. Pour that over cooked chicken (or simmer the chicken in it, even better).

Kind of an Asian ginger sauce/glaze... not sure if that's what you were looking for or not.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:30 PM   #35
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbleweed
Grate/mince ginger really finely (a microplane would be great because it gets lots of juice out also), add to some soy sauce (not too much so it doesn't overpower the ginger) and rice wine vinegar in a sauce pan. Add some brown sugar (or honey), garlic.. and chilies if you want. Make a "slurry" with a teaspoon of corn starch and some hot water (just dissolve it and make sure there are no lumps).. add that to the mixture and let it come to a boil, where it will start to thicken quite a bit.

If it gets too thick, just add more soy/vinegar and whisk.. keep in mind that it will thicken as it cools as well. Pour that over cooked chicken (or simmer the chicken in it, even better).

Kind of an Asian ginger sauce/glaze... not sure if that's what you were looking for or not.
Yep, exactly what I was looking for. Gonna try it out. Thanks man
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2009, 01:44 PM   #36
Livin' the dream

Stumbleweed's Arena

You could throw some orange juice into that as well in place of the soy if you wanted a sweeter ginger/orange glaze without the saltiness of the soy. Use honey if you do that, as it will make it hold to the chicken better and taste sweeter than with brown sugar. This is similar to how Chinese places make their orange chicken/honey chicken/sesame chicken sauces... just different levels of ingredients depending on which taste you want to dominate.
Old 07-21-2009, 02:10 PM   #37
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

This thread is going to turn into Stumble's own cooking show

"You're cooking with Stumble"
Old 07-21-2009, 06:09 PM   #38
Strike Hard and Fade Away

Fresh Tendrils's Arena

OVR: 51

Thanks, Stumble. I'll have to check Martin's tomorrow. How much soy sauce/rice wine vinegar and then sugar do you use?

I still can't find rock salt for my ice-cream maker to save my life. I guess I'll have to order it online.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:44 PM   #39
Livin' the dream

Stumbleweed's Arena

Eh, I don't usually measure. I almost always have more vinegar than soy because the soy is so strong-tasting and will take over the other flavors if it's laid on too strong. I'd guess it's about 4 tablespoons of vinegar to 2 tablespoons of soy sauce and 1 teaspoon of sugar... Really, it's all to taste -- some people want the sweetness to kill the vinegar completely and others like the vinegar twang (me being one of those) and just want a little sweetness to kill the soy saltiness a bit.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:44 PM   #40
Go Wings!

OVR: 41

I've been liking G2 lately (specifically the grape flavor, but others are ok (just not as good)). I'm drinking more water as well, but sometimes I need something with flavor. Plus G2 goes on sale more often, 10 32oz bottles for 10 bucks, not a bad deal.

It's part of my attempt to not drink as much diet pop, I figure G2 is a halfway decent middle ground.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood »