Home

Who is the most hated team in US sports?

This is a discussion on Who is the most hated team in US sports? within the OS Neighborhood forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Who is the most hated team in sports?
Yankees 92 59.74%
Lakers 7 4.55%
Celtics 2 1.30%
Patriots 15 9.74%
Cowboys 21 13.64%
Duke University 11 7.14%
Other 6 3.90%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-05-2009, 04:14 PM   #9
Hall Of Fame

J0nnD0ugh's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: Who is the most hated team in US sports?

How'd you forget the Irish?

Personally, you know who I hate the most. Nationally, I'd go this order....

1. Yanks
2. Cowboys
3. Irish football
4. dook basketball
5. Lakers
6. Celtics
7. Patriots
-August 17, 1960
Thanks, dookies!
Old 11-05-2009, 04:15 PM   #10
MVP

Trevytrev11's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBH3
The Cleveland Browns have just as much a chance to sign Adrian Peterson (if he was a free agent), but is he going to go there or is he going to go to say Dallas or New England?

So that makes the advantage sort of moot doesn't it?

Nobody wants to play on the Cavs if there's no Lebron, and IF Lebron goes they'll be sorry as hell again.
Your example doesn't tell the whole story. Regardless those teams are capped and can only offer AP a limited amount of money, so he's going to go where his best fit is.

Besides, the Pat's, not too long ago were the laughing stock of the NFL like the Browns are now. They're just better at running their organization and were able to right their ship.

The Yanks can offer the world when other teams can't and face no punishment for doing so and if turns out to be a bust (Pavano) they are able to aborb that with little damage, while that same move would have crippled the majority of the teams out there who are under a much tighter belt.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:21 PM   #11
Rookie

gez20's Arena

OVR: 8

I picked the Lakers since most of my sports time is devoted to the NBA. I also hate the Yankees and Duke Basketball (although they are a far #3 from Lakers and Yanks).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-05-2009, 04:21 PM   #12
MVP

Stroehms's Arena

OVR: 55

RED WINGS
CUBS
SEAHAWKS

astros
brewers
phillies
blue jackets

Boy, do they boil my water.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:22 PM   #13
MVP

Trevytrev11's Arena

Quote:
Nobody wants to play on the Cavs if there's no Lebron, and IF Lebron goes they'll be sorry as hell again. The deal Tex got wasn't that much bigger dollars and cents wise than Washington's or Baltimore's offer, but Tex choose to play in NY over smaller-baseball cities w/ little to no tradition.

THAT has nothing to do w/ how big an owners wallet is, and until you all actually know how big the owners wallet is and how much they value their bottom line profit for their larger businesses to spening bocoo dollars on their franchise than I think your hate is rather misplaced.

I saw something on Forbes where the Minny Twins owner was one of the more wealthy owners in baseball. However, they're known to be "small" market, and refused to pay Johan getting next to nothing in return. Why is that if this owner is so wealthy?
Most owners make their money in other places other than their sport. The bottom line is the Yankee's organization (by itself, not with the owners other earnings) is by far richer than any other and is in a position to absorb those losses.

I'm not blaming the Yankee's for doing what they do, they play by the rulse, but they have an advantage over every other team. They can make mistakes with their draft and free agent signings and still sign other top players. Other teams have to be perfect or they can instantly become financially crippled.

Ex: Pavano ate up millions of dollars a year on the DL and the Yank's still went out every year and signed top players. The A's are paying bucks to Chavez and getting no production as he's been on the DL for the last three years...they can't afford to go out and do the same and just sign another productive third baseman.

Last edited by Trevytrev11; 11-05-2009 at 04:24 PM.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:26 PM   #14
Marvel's Finest

JBH3's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevytrev11
Your example doesn't tell the whole story. Regardless those teams are capped and can only offer AP a limited amount of money, so he's going to go where his best fit is.

Besides, the Pat's, not too long ago were the laughing stock of the NFL like the Browns are now. They're just better at running their organization and were able to right their ship.

The Yanks can offer the world when other teams can't and face no punishment for doing so and if turns out to be a bust (Pavano) they are able to aborb that with little damage, while that same move would have crippled the majority of the teams out there who are under a much tighter belt.
I didn't say it was entirely moot (the AP/cap example), but it is noteworthy because it wouldn't change the fact now that the Yankees would still hold an advantage in free agency WITH a cap solely based on their organizational history and where they play. So then we'd just hate them for being in New York right?

I also strongly urge you and others to look into HOW your organizations are run, what businesses the owners of your teams have, and how well THOSE do. Some owners might just value their personal investments moreso than their toy baseball team.

I know for the Phillies they could be right up there in spending with the Yankees if they wanted to, but they're not because they're not owned by one person but a conglomerate where there is a lead member but all budgetary decisions are voted on. Which spawns into these individuals valuing their profit versus shelling out more and more dollars on player/personnel.

They've only NOW opened up the wallets a little given the recent success of the Phillies, and attendance in all home games as increased from 88% in 2007, to 97% in 2008, to 102.2% in 2009. We're probably one of, if not THE most successful NL team "business-wise" over the last 2-3 years, but yet are still in 8th in league payroll. With all the money coming in they could've competed w/ CC or AJ had they wanted too, but those in baseball know that 'making money' for the Phillies brass is priority #1 and I guess they figure they've already spent enough money to make enough money.

Last edited by JBH3; 11-05-2009 at 04:32 PM.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:34 PM   #15
MVP

Trevytrev11's Arena

Quote:
I didn't say it entirely moot (the AP/cap example), but it is noteworthy because it wouldn't change the fact now that the Yankees would still hold an advantage in free agency WITH a cap solely based on their organizational history and where they play. So then we'd just hate them for being in New York right?
We'd find out in about 5-10 years when they actually had to depend on their scouting and farm system and become creative like some of those smaller teams.

Obviously if two teams are equal in quality, people would love to play in NY for it's history and mystique. I get that and appreciate it. You also have people that want to stay close to home in equal situations, but eventually you can pay someone enough to change their mind.

But in this theortical capped world, if salaries are equal and the Yankee's turn out to be a .500 team, you're not going to see players pass up on playing for a winner just to play in NY.

I don't think the Yank's drafts are as bad as a lot of people think they are, but their signings are what makes them a top team every year. Obviously Jeter, Rivera and Pettite are home grown and are some of the greatest Yankee's ever and Cano is going to be a stud and Posada's always been a top catcher, but their signings of Clemens, Sabathia, A-Rod, Texiera, Damon have made them great and perennial playoff teams.

Last edited by Trevytrev11; 11-05-2009 at 04:42 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-05-2009, 04:35 PM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 4

Being from Boston, watching A-Fraud lift the WS trophy made me sick to my stomach, more so when Boggs and Clemens did. I also hate the Habs, Jets, Dolphins, Colts, Cowboys, Lakers, and Jimmy Clausen.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood »