Home

OS Book Club Pt II

This is a discussion on OS Book Club Pt II within the OS Neighborhood forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-21-2022, 12:35 AM   #1313
All Star

OVR: 8
Re: OS Book Club Pt II

Ballplayer is a great baseball book. I'm certainly bias, but Chipper Jones has a lot of great stories to tell. It was funny at times, and overall just very insightful as to some of the inner workings of being a ballplayer.

I don't read a ton mystery books, but a few that I enjoyed are: House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski falls into the mystery category. It's a bit of a mind **** in more ways than one. The Davinci Code and Angels and Demons by Dan Brown are also both entertaining, much better than their movie adaptations.

Sci-Fi has a wide range from more grounded works like the Martian to Space Operas like Ender's Game. I'll list a few that are generally well received across the spectrum.

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. A comedy/sci-fi book that is a must read if you've never experienced it.

Dune is a good option if you enjoyed the movie. It gives context to a lot of what you would have seen there as well as extending beyond where the movie ended. It is very heavy on the politics of the universe though. Don't expect a lot of action.

I'll also list Hyperion by Dan Simmons. I haven't read this yet, but it's near the top of my reading list. It seems to hit every sci-fi book recommendation list that I've ever seen.
Old 04-10-2022, 10:10 PM   #1314
All Star

Skyward
-Brandon Sanderson

As is evident by my postings on here. I've read a lot of crap over the last year or so. Skyward was thoroughly enjoyable beginning to end though.

When the main character's father is branded a coward for his actions against an alien race some 10 years earlier the main character Spin grows up being known as the daughter of a coward. Eventually she joins the pilots academy to try and prover herself and also prove that her father is not the coward that everyone says he is, but she faces many hardships along the way.

Spin is a bit more brutish than I typically care for in a MC. She grew up with a chip on her shoulder, and so it is easy to justify. Fortunately, the story didn't take it too far. She was quick to anger, but she also was able to show restraint to the point that there were only a few times that she really blew up on people.

The true highlight of the story though comes in the form of an ancient (yet advanced) fighter ship that she stumbles upon. This ship has a sentient AI that I could easily see being in a Douglas Adams story. It's last pilot gave it the standing order to "lie low, take stock, avoid fights". It took this quite literally, and so when Spin finds it buried in this cavern, it keeps asking her to bring it new mushrooms to catalogue. It's also quite insistent on that last order to avoid fights. Clearly this means that it was simply a research ship. There are numerous comical lines throughout, but this one was my favorite.

As Spin explains to this ship who the aliens are, how they send squadrons of ships down with some bombs that can penetrate down into the caverns where humanity lives:

Quote:
"Why don't they bombard you from orbit?"
"What?"
"Not that I'd know anything about things like that," it added. "Being a noncombat machine. Obviously."
"You have four guns"
"Someone must have stuck those on when I wasn't looking"
Old 04-17-2022, 04:54 AM   #1315
Just started!

OVR: 0

I'm reading The Sound and the Fury - the magnum opus of the American writer William Faulkner. It is quite difficult to perceive the text. In the novel, the author uses the principle of "double vision" to reveal the same problem and the flow of consciousness. I will reread Shakespeare's most famous works, I will read them regularly. On the website https://studydriver.com/othello/ when I was preparing for a class at university I knew a few interesting articles about Othello and decided to reread the drama. It's unforgettable.

Last edited by Donald Allen; 04-20-2022 at 07:16 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-17-2022, 11:06 AM   #1316
MVP

Hammerhunker's Arena

OVR: 22

I'm rereading one of my favorite football books, America's Game, by Michael MacCambridge. It was written in 2004 which seems like yesterday but holy smokes this book is getting old. MacCambridge masterfully spins the aspects of the game's evolution with politics and social conditions into a thorough depiction of the NFL's unique role in America's history.

As I read through this again, I could see it made into a multi-year series on Netflix either as a documentary or a creatively done story.
Old 04-22-2022, 11:27 AM   #1317
Hall Of Fame

mkharsh33's Arena

OVR: 35

Reading the entire ACD Sherlock Holmes series - in order and in their entirety. It's a task, but I'm enjoying them immensely.
Old 07-13-2022, 06:21 PM   #1318
All Star

Warhammer 40k: Horus Rising

“IN THE GRIM DARKNESS OF THE FAR FUTURE THERE IS ONLY WAR.”

This is the tagline for the Warhammer 40K franchise, and it has always made me want to get into it. The setting of the 40K universe is not one of exploration that you see in something like Star Trek. Even Star Wars can't really hold a candle to the extreme belligerence of this sci-fi setting. It's a story about conquest and Humanity's struggle to survive among the stars.

Warhammer 40K largely follows the human faction known as the Imperium, followers of the Emperor of Man. A being who is considered like a god by many for his supreme power. Horus Rising actually takes place 10,000 years before what is known as Warhammer 40k (40k meaning the 40th millennium), and it is about one of the Emperor's sons, Horus, and his expedition fleet which is tasked with uniting lost human colonies and exterminating xenos (aliens) anywhere they are found. There is too much background lore to explain in a few sentences, but suffice to say that the universe is expansive.

Despite all of this, the book started out surprisingly slow. The expedition fleet is engaged in some form of conflict at multiple times throughout the story, but there is very heavy exposition leading up to and encircling those conflicts. While the pace does eventually pick up some later on, it never really builds into a climax. This makes sense to an extent because this book just starts the events of what will eventually become a civil war, but still somewhat surprising. It reminded me a bit like reading Dune. Dune speaks of conflict that occurs during the setting and events of the book, but it never shows it. Horus Rising shows the conflict, but it was never a focus of the writing. I actually appreciated this the more it went on though. It allowed for deeper character progression and introduction into the universe.

Overall a very enjoyable story.

As a side note. This was my first ever audio book, and it was a weird experience. I'm a binge reader. I will usually read an entire book, cover to cover, the same day that I open to the first page. It took over a week to listen to this story though. I wanted to continue the story at many points, but I found that I can only really listen whenever I'm doing specific tasks like working out or driving. Any other time I tried to listen it would make me sleepy or my attention would be too split to really retain anything. So, I'm still not sure how I feel about it.
Old 07-17-2022, 11:40 AM   #1319
BING BONG

DieHardYankee26's Arena

OVR: 10

I wish I could read a book in a day, I get so distracted, I have to take a break after every chapter lol. I'm with you on audio only, it's impossible for me. I usually have the book right there and follow along and just use it for pace, or for sci-fi books with lots of weird pronunciations. I do like the way everything syncs between Kindle and Audible so I can read on my own and then pick back up with the audio when I'm ready, Project Hail Mary was great to read that way.
I can't hide who I am, baby I'm a gangster
In the Rolls Royce, steppin' on a mink rug
The clique just a gang of bosses that linked up
Old 07-17-2022, 03:59 PM   #1320
MVP

Gramps91's Arena

OVR: 22

I don't think I could do audiobook only. I like holding the book in my hands, which is why I'm also opposed to things like Kindle. I do like using audiobooks for pacing though. Sometimes, on my own I'll skip over entire paragraphs and wind up getting confused. Listening to the audiobook as a guide while I read keeps me on pace and some audiobooks are pretty cool, actually. I like to take my time with books to make them last longer so I'm usually a one chapter a day kind of reader.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood »