Home

The Death of Customer Service...

This is a discussion on The Death of Customer Service... within the OS Neighborhood forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-08-2016, 03:40 PM   #1
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51
Angry The Death of Customer Service...

So while I appreciate the idea that companies set up ways for us all to self service online, it should not be the be-all end-all way that companies promote customer service. Until we consumers speak up and demand we get customer service we will continue to see very little improvement. Call these companies to task. We don't pay all of these huge monthly fees for just the product, it should be backed up...

This chat I just logged with AT&T, who I just paid $189 for my monthly service btw, is WHY PEOPLE HATE PHONE COMPANIES....

SHAUN: Hello, I'm checking on the status of my iPhone to ascertain that it is unlocked pending the request that I submitted yesterday.

(I give the woman my case #)

Sandy : this is the status it displayed:
Apple "iPhone 6 Plus" "iPhone 6 Plus A1522"
Unlock Status Result: LOCKED
Device is locked. Shaun, can you tell me when you submitted the device unlock request/
Sandy : ?

SHAUN : yesterday
SHAUN : i have a copy of the chat log, spoke to HAHREMM
SHAUN : did you find the request and it's just not done yet or did you not even find the request?

Sandy : ok. so it is still being determined.
Sandy : no, I searched for the imei, one moment
Sandy : Shaun, this is a case#, this is not a device unlock request number, they begin with CUL

SHAUN : that's what Hahremm gave me..

Sandy : also, can you tell me the first and last name of the account owner please.
Sandy : he set a case up for you
Sandy : can you tell me the first and last name of the account owner please.

SHAUN : Hahremm: Great news! I have successfully file an unlock request for you and the your device expected resolution date will be on December 9, 2016 (within 2 business days) your phone will be unlocked! Here is your Unlock Reference Number Shaun
SHAUN : Shaun Hough
SHAUN : Shaun Hough is the first and last name of the account owner, that is me
SHAUN : I need this unlocked today, I'm selling this in the morning
SHAUN : so is a case that Hahremm going to get it unlocked by the morning? I'm having a buyer come and get it and it needs to be unlocked by 12/9 as Hahremm promised it would be
SHAUN : hello?

Sandy : I'm here, that was a case that was set up by that rep. He may have typed that to you but what is in the notes is a case set up.
Sandy : Shaun, did you attempt to unlock the device on your own?

SHAUN : no, i'd have no idea how to unlock it
SHAUN : i need this unlocked though as I have a buyer coming in the morning to get the phone, and hahremm said it would be unlocked by 12/9

Sandy : ok, you will need the phone number and the imei and the first and last name of the account owner (you) and your At&t passcode. The website for customers to unlock their device is: www.att.com/deviceunlock

SHAUN : why would I need to do that, i've already spoken to your customer service and they took care of it, that shouldn't be on me, it's your mistake

Sandy : or you can click on the blue link I provided named: "Click Here"
Sandy : You can Click Here to open the page in a new window/tab, I will be here on this window/tab when you are ready to continue.

SHAUN : No, you fix your error and unlock it, I pay you guys $200 a month and quite frankly I spent 20 minutes talking to a guy yesterday and I'm not going to go off on my own and create a case, i've already done my part, it's up to you to do yours

Sandy : Shaun, he didn't submit the unlock request, he submitted a case and cases will take up to 72 hours to be completed.

SHAUN : then fix it, submit an urgent unlock request to get it done
SHAUN : your agent made the mistake, not me
SHAUN : I am not opening a new request, first of all I shouldn't have to because AT&T made the mistake and opened up the wrong ticket, and secondly if I do it won't be done in time by tomorrow, which is when your agent Hahremm promised that it would be completed
SHAUN : If you cannot do it then please transfer me to a supervisor and I will speak to them

Sandy : give me few moments

SHAUN : ok, thank you

Sandy : Shaun, I checked the status of the case that was submitted yesterday. Our back office team is currently working on the case, you should have a determination by 12/9/16 which is tomorrow.

SHAUN : ok, well thank you and i will hope its done in time by the time the buyer comes to get it

What are some examples you may have of bad customer service and what, if anything, did you do to try to get a resolution?

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven

Last edited by ODogg; 12-08-2016 at 03:51 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-08-2016, 03:49 PM   #2
Rookie

dsallupinyaarea's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: The Death of Customer Service...

So.................... you got what you wanted, right?

twitter - @dsallupinyaarea
psn - dsallupinyaarea8
xbox - dsallupinyoarea
Old 12-08-2016, 03:52 PM   #3
Strike Hard and Fade Away

Fresh Tendrils's Arena

I have to be honest. I have no horror stories with customer service and I've dealt with plenty (Verizon, Comcast, DTV, Amazon, Anthem, etc).

For the most part I've noticed if you're reasonable, logical, and forthright then the service rep will be the same. I have never had to resort to any type of aggressive ultimatums to get what I wanted or thought was fair from my conversations with service reps.

I know there are plenty of examples and horror stories of the opposite, but I don't see how the above example is a killing stroke for customer service quality.

Old 12-08-2016, 03:55 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsallupinyaarea
So.................... you got what you wanted, right?
No, if you see at the end she didn't even say the phone would be unlocked on 12/9, only that I would receive a "determination". I hope the phone works for the guy, he's on T-Mobile and they told him it would work but I don't know.

But even if I had gotten exactly what I wanted, I take issue with the "oh well our guy screwed up and did the wrong ticket so you can just go here and enter a new one.."

NO..that is not how it should work. If the company messes up then proper customer service would be for them to apologize, input the correct solution and get the issue resolved.

Not simply to tell me to go fix their mistake... that is not good customer service.

P.S. I never did see any form of apology in that chat for them screwing this up either...

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

Old 12-08-2016, 03:58 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Tendrils
I have to be honest. I have no horror stories with customer service and I've dealt with plenty (Verizon, Comcast, DTV, Amazon, Anthem, etc).

For the most part I've noticed if you're reasonable, logical, and forthright then the service rep will be the same. I have never had to resort to any type of aggressive ultimatums to get what I wanted or thought was fair from my conversations with service reps.

I know there are plenty of examples and horror stories of the opposite, but I don't see how the above example is a killing stroke for customer service quality.

Oh no, it's not the worst, it's not even close to the worse, it's just the latest example that has made me fed up. It's not even really a rude chat, it's just one that seems somewhat apathetic and lazy. But my point isn't that this was such a horrible example, but rather it shows a pattern that people have come to expect very poor, if not apathetic, customer service and that is just awful.

People seriously need to speak up and demand better.

And yes, as you said, don't yell, scream, cuss and be an idiot..that never works. Simply state your issue, show a bit of backbone and don't be afraid to be aggressive without being unruly. And use some "please" and "thank you".

If you're just a total @sshole you will get nowhere. But you also can't be a sad sack who just takes whatever excuse they're giving you either. It's a fine line to walk and most people just choose to give up and just take it..

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-08-2016, 04:27 PM   #6
YNWA

ImTellinTim's Arena

OVR: 32

I've always thought if I want something done right, I'll do it myself.

I just went on to the AT&T website. Clicked in the search bar at the top of the website. Typed "Unlock iPhone". Up popped results.

1st result: "Learn how to unlock your AT&T wireless phone or tablet"

https://www.att.com/esupport/article...less/KM1008728

2nd result: "Submit an unlock request for your AT&T wireless phone or tablet"

https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/#/

The links contain all the information you would need. Clearly states how to complete what you want to do step by step. Clearly states how long it will take and how you will be notified. And there is a link to check the status of your request.

If you hate customer service so much why do you involve them? That took under 10 seconds to find and I've never done this.

As a consumer, you should know that these companies outsource their phone/chat help. It's a fact that no amount of complaining is going to change. A much better option for you if you didn't want to submit the request yourself would have been to visit one of the dozen-plus AT&T store locations in Columbus to talk to a live rep who is much better trained to help you. I've had very good experience with all the reps I've dealt with in-store.

Last edited by ImTellinTim; 12-08-2016 at 04:45 PM.
Old 12-08-2016, 04:58 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

LowerWolf's Arena

OVR: 19

AT&T's standard customer support is pretty bad, but their social media support is top notch. And, if you're like me and don't do the standard social media (FB, Twitter), you can access that support through their online forum.

Had a terrible experience with DC Comics online shop. They sent me the wrong item. Four times, over a couple of months, they told me a replacement was on the way, only to never send it. I finally gave up and asked for a refund. They refused to refund me the shipping cost because "while we shipped the wrong item, we did ship you something."

On the flip side, Amazon, Fanatics, Nautica and Bose have all been terrific when I've needed them.
Old 12-08-2016, 05:39 PM   #8
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46

About a month ago I had an crazy experience with Verizon customer service. I got a new phone from a newly activated line and I wanted to switch that phone with another phone already on my plan. Seems simple. I first did verizon chat. Took 2 hours and still couldn't get it work. Then I called customer service. Almost another 2 hours and still couldn't get it to work. So I figured I would try chat again, maybe get someone who is more knowledgeable on the subject and they screwed it up bad. The one phone wasn't able to make or receive calls or texts.

So then I did what I should have done in the first place and went to the Verizon store, and they literally had it fixed in 10 minutes.

I do have to say that everyone I dealt with was very polite and tried hard to fix the issue. But it does seem like the online people and the phone based customer service aren't the best route for getting what you need done.

It was frustrating, but worked out in the end so I can't complain too much.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood »