Home

Quirky things you do...

This is a discussion on Quirky things you do... within the OS Neighborhood forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-10-2020, 09:35 PM   #305
All Star

LambertandHam's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: Quirky things you do...

I tend to notice myself looking at my PS4 controller at eye level after play sessions to see if my buttons are still level with each other.

PSN: BigGreenZaku

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-11-2020, 12:57 AM   #306
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
no, I'd love to, though I'm also afraid the neighbours would think I'm watching them

but I live out away from a lot of lights in rural Alabama so I bet I'd get some great views
Oh man, you should get one. There is a light pollution classification chart called the Bortle Scale. It goes from 1-9. 9 being the most light polluted. 1's are very few and far between. Most in the southwest deserts. I'm a Bortle 5 so I can see a lot of stuff. I'm interested what your area is.

Here is a link to how to find where you are on the Bortle scale. https://astrobackyard.com/the-bortle-scale/
Old 03-11-2020, 01:53 AM   #307
Hall Of Fame

l3ulvl's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVarck31
Oh man, you should get one. There is a light pollution classification chart called the Bortle Scale. It goes from 1-9. 9 being the most light polluted. 1's are very few and far between. Most in the southwest deserts. I'm a Bortle 5 so I can see a lot of stuff. I'm interested what your area is.

Here is a link to how to find where you are on the Bortle scale. https://astrobackyard.com/the-bortle-scale/
Bortles 5?

Old 03-11-2020, 07:46 PM   #308
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVarck31

I'm a 5, thought there was a chance at 4, but 4's are about a mile away from me.

A Work in Progress
Old 03-11-2020, 09:23 PM   #309
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
I'm a 5, thought there was a chance at 4, but 4's are about a mile away from me.
A 5 is still really good. You can see a lot. The coolest part of it is when you look in the sky and see nothing, then you look through the telescope eyepiece and there are stars everywhere. But that depends on the type of telescope and eyepiece you use.

If you are thinking about getting a telescope at some point, let me know, I can give you some recommendations.
Old 05-20-2020, 03:43 PM   #310
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

I tend to microwave food on extremely low power settings (and compensate with longer run times). I'll rarely go higher than 6, and on several foods I'll do anything 2-4.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 05-20-2020, 06:06 PM   #311

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
I tend to microwave food on extremely low power settings (and compensate with longer run times). I'll rarely go higher than 6, and on several foods I'll do anything 2-4.
I dont think I've ever microwaved food on anything but high power.

Although maybe I should. Some things I microwave feels like half of it is burning hot, while half is still cold.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-21-2020, 04:29 AM   #312
Hall Of Fame

Master Live 013's Arena

OVR: 0
Post Re: Quirky things you do...

I have the benefit of having read the whole thread so I wrote those that are similar and others that are just mine (or are they?).

-TV volume has to end in 0 or 5.

-Music volume has to end in 0 since when I use the preset volume bottoms on my keyboard they only go up or down in 2's. So, I guess I just skip the "5's".

-I eat my cereal and milk separately and I find the mixing of those 2 disgusting.

-When I eat, I eat as much as the "limiting reagent" allows. If I'm eating French fries and the ketchup runs out I either go and buy more ketchup or I don't eat the rest. If I'm eating rice and beans I will eat until the beans run out etc.

-Regarding music (at least 3 people mentioned this):
  • if the song has a featured guest it goes in the name of the artist so it would go: Empire State of Mind (song name), Jay-Z Ft. Alicia Keys (artist). And it has to be "Ft." with the F capitalized and the period after the t and no "feat" or "featuring" or whatever. I check all the spelling of my songs manually before or when listening to them for the 1st time.
  • Minimum quality I accept for my music is 320k or higher. Many songs/albums aren't part of my collection because I can't find 320k versions of it.
  • Music has to be organized by album. Needless to say, that each album needs their cover or if unavailable then I select a photo/picture of the artist.
  • Everything must be spelled correctly, in Spanish that includes "accents" or diacritic: "Reggaetón" etc. Meh, this applies to everything, even to e-mails and text messages (I'm that guy!).

-After I burp, I always say "excuse me" even when I'm by myself.

-When driving I always lock the doors and if I'm driving a car without automatic locks, I always ask the passenger to lock it which usually annoys the hell out of people. I have this paranoia that at a red light someone is going to come and open the door

-Whenever possible I watch movies and series with subtitles but with a 1.2second delay (found this by iteration) since sometimes a character might pause mid-sentence but the subtitle spoils the dialogue!

-I sleep with my phone on my bed and set 5 alarms which I constantly check. If I need to get up at 7:00 I will set alarms for 7:00, 7:15, 7:30, 7:45 and 8:00.

-I always park in reverse whenever it is possible.

-I shave in 2 phases? First, I trim down the "thick" stuff and use the vacuum to get all the hairs. Then after I shower, I do the "actual" shaving. I would do it all at once but the drain clogs

-I like to synchronize all my watches, phone, computer to the second.

-One of my favorite channels is channel 99 which in my living room is the "TV guide" channel with the scrolling thingy. It is the first thing I do whenever I turn on the TV and I need to do "1 lap" before watching anything but usually I do 2 or 3 laps . Sometimes I just like to be on my laptop with "99" (which happens to be a channel without sound) just there in the background. But this is just in the living room since the cable box there isn't HD. The bedroom box is HD and has the TV remote control guide thingy in which you can go forward and backward to see what it is going to be on hours, days later and yet I still kind of prefer channel 99.

-Last but not least whenever I think "something bad" or have a negative thought I like saying in my mind a short phrase: "I shouldn't think that way". That's it, short and sweet but I always do it and the phrase has evolved throughout the years. It used to include God or whatever but that isn't currently my inclination so I have modified it, twice!

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood »