Home

The Astronomy and Physics thread. And things of the like.

This is a discussion on The Astronomy and Physics thread. And things of the like. within the OS Neighborhood forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-28-2018, 05:58 AM   #401
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: The Astronomy and Physics thread. And things of the like.

Hate to be that guy, but I don't buy UFO stories.

Not saying your mothers are lying, but these are stories from when they were kids. I'm critical of my own childhood memories, so when I hear fantastic childhood tales from other people I'm immediately skeptical.

While I do think advanced intelligent life is out there, I don't think they've visited us. Of course I could be wrong, but I remain unconvinced.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-28-2018, 02:14 PM   #402
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
Hate to be that guy, but I don't buy UFO stories.

Not saying your mothers are lying, but these are stories from when they were kids. I'm critical of my own childhood memories, so when I hear fantastic childhood tales from other people I'm immediately skeptical.

While I do think advanced intelligent life is out there, I don't think they've visited us. Of course I could be wrong, but I remain unconvinced.
Yeah I understand. I don't doubt she saw something but she was a kid, and it could have been any number of things other than an actual UFO with alien occupants.

It's still interesting none the less.
Old 07-28-2018, 11:32 PM   #403
NL MVP

Sportsforever's Arena

OVR: 23

I'll add to the UFO story. I'm a military helicopter pilot...about 10 years ago I was flying off the coast of California at altitude (well, for a helo...we were up at 5,000') and cruising south towards San Diego just south of Los Angeles. All of the sudden our TCAS (Traffic Collision Avoidance System) started going off.

Now, the odd thing about that is the range on the TCAS is set out pretty far so you see a target on it well before it becomes a collision threat...when it goes off you already know the traffic is in the area. There had been no traffic on it and now it was going off. I looked at the TCAS screen and saw the object moving at an exceedingly high rate of speed coming up and off the right side of the helicopter. As I looked out, I saw a round, silver disc go past us at an unbelievable speed...I mean...like I have never seen ANYTHING move at this rate of speed. It was by us and gone off the horizon in a matter of seconds.

Both myself and the other pilot just looked at either other in disbelief...but here's the thing; our TCAS system only gets triggered if the other object has a transponder and is transmitting on Mode C. This tells me that it was manmade...I know they test a lot of stuff in that area, so I always have assumed it was something being tested/developed. But I swear...if it hadn't been transmitting, I'd absolutely believe it was something from another world.

Last edited by Sportsforever; 07-28-2018 at 11:35 PM.
Old 07-28-2018, 11:48 PM   #404
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

That's a good story. It reminds me of the video the CIA released of the fighter jets just off the coast of San Diego who saw what they described as a "fleet" of UFO's travelling at ridiculous speeds.

I know military pilots have seen stuff they can't explain a lot.

My sisters father-in-law is a former military pilot and now a commercial pilot and he's seen a bunch of stuff he can't explain.

I don't know if all this stuff is alien, but there is definitely some sort of phenomenon happening. The CIA admitted they were investigating UFO's up to 2012. And someone who worked on the project says they still are.

Oh, I meant to say something about it transmitting. That's interesting because most of these sightings like this don't mention if the object is transmitting.

Did you ask if it was being picked up by ground radar?

Last edited by PVarck31; 07-29-2018 at 12:35 AM.
Old 08-01-2018, 03:13 AM   #405
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

Did anyone get to see Mars tonight? It was at it's closest point to Earth in 15 years.

It was beautiful. Just a huge red ball of light in the southern sky.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-01-2018, 03:15 AM   #406
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVarck31
Did anyone get to see Mars tonight? It was at it's closest point to Earth in 15 years.

It was beautiful. Just a huge red ball of light in the southern sky.
Is it no longer visible outside? I'm in California right now.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 08-01-2018, 04:06 AM   #407
Dave

Dave_S's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
Is it no longer visible outside? I'm in California right now.
You can see Mars tonight by looking to the southwestern sky. Weather permitting, Mars will be visible low on the southwestern horizon, with the moon shining to the upper left. Saturn will also be visible, as shown in the map below

It's not like super huge, I think the moon still looks like 75x bigger. It's easy to spot in the sky without light pollution.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:22 AM   #408
MVP

NolanRyansSnowmonkey's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S
You can see Mars tonight by looking to the southwestern sky. Weather permitting, Mars will be visible low on the southwestern horizon, with the moon shining to the upper left. Saturn will also be visible, as shown in the map below

It's not like super huge, I think the moon still looks like 75x bigger. It's easy to spot in the sky without light pollution.
Yeah Mars has been one of the things that just draws your attention lately when you are outside here. You can't really miss it unless your view is blocked or have a lot of light pollution. Its hard to believe that men are from there, and women are from Venus but i will take their word for it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood »