Home

The Astronomy and Physics thread. And things of the like.

This is a discussion on The Astronomy and Physics thread. And things of the like. within the OS Neighborhood forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-30-2016, 12:17 AM   #49
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46
Re: The Astronomy and Physics thread. And things of the like.

Also something to keep in mind, the radio signals that have been broadcast from Earth have only traveled about 300 light years in diameter. That's a pretty small space in our galaxy. And radio waves travel at the speed of light. Just goes to show that even the speed of light is relatively slow in the grand scheme of the universe.
Old 01-30-2016, 12:24 AM   #50
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

http://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/...-to-our-galaxy

This is awesome! More stars could lead to more planets and more chance for life in our galaxy in the future.
Old 01-30-2016, 12:28 AM   #51
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

Related to the "are we alone" discussion, the CIA released some previously confidential documents related to UFOs. Nothing groundbreaking, but interesting nonetheless.

Watch me play video games
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-30-2016, 12:32 AM   #52
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr.
Related to the "are we alone" discussion, the CIA released some previously confidential documents related to UFOs. Nothing groundbreaking, but interesting nonetheless.
I saw that! They even dubbed them The X-Files.
Old 01-30-2016, 12:42 AM   #53
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickey1331
I think it was the great filter that seems to fall into the Fermi Paradox.

The problem with getting to where we are currently at is too many things that have to go right. A little more oxygen and we all die. A little hotter or colder and we all die. It's very possible we are the one in a billion chance of getting to this point.
Here's a good article about the Fermi Paradox: http://waitbutwhy.com/2014/05/fermi-paradox.html

Watch me play video games
Old 01-30-2016, 01:04 AM   #54

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVarck31
I agree everything has to go right, but the sheer amount of planets that exist that are in their stars habitable zone are astronomical. Plus who is to say that life on another planet has to breathe the same ratio of oxygen that we do? They my sustain themselves totally different. It's like things we have discovered deep in the oceans that have no right being able to survive in those conditions. Yet they defy everything we know and do.
That's what i always thought too. Why exactly do other lifeforms have to have same living environment as us in order to survive? Just cause a planet doesn't have water and/or oxygen, doesn't mean nothing could live on it. It just means nothing Earth related could survive.

It took hundreds of millions of years for species on earth to go from basically nothing, into creatures that could swim,fly,walk on land, ect. Who's to say on some other planet, same didn't happen. Give some far away planet hundreds of millions of years to have things adapt and evolve into something and it probably will.

And the whole radio signals,music and so on they send in space, how does that help? Even if aliens got it, it'd mean nothing. They dont speak english,french,spanish ect. They were all earth created languages. People here can barely understand diff languages,despite most words being translatable. Same with ancient egyptian writing. People spend lifetimes trying to figure it out.

Just seems like most alien thinking is just assuming there's other oxygen breathing,water drinking,electronic device using species out there.
Old 01-30-2016, 01:23 AM   #55
Everyday is Faceurary!

dickey1331's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majingir
That's what i always thought too. Why exactly do other lifeforms have to have same living environment as us in order to survive? Just cause a planet doesn't have water and/or oxygen, doesn't mean nothing could live on it. It just means nothing Earth related could survive.

It took hundreds of millions of years for species on earth to go from basically nothing, into creatures that could swim,fly,walk on land, ect. Who's to say on some other planet, same didn't happen. Give some far away planet hundreds of millions of years to have things adapt and evolve into something and it probably will.

And the whole radio signals,music and so on they send in space, how does that help? Even if aliens got it, it'd mean nothing. They dont speak english,french,spanish ect. They were all earth created languages. People here can barely understand diff languages,despite most words being translatable. Same with ancient egyptian writing. People spend lifetimes trying to figure it out.

Just seems like most alien thinking is just assuming there's other oxygen breathing,water drinking,electronic device using species out there.

Because every living thing known has to have liquid water. Without liquid water you have no life. I would bet anything you won't find life especially intelligent life without water.
NFL: Dallas Cowboys
NHL: Dallas Stars
NBA: Dallas Mavericks

I own a band check it out
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-30-2016, 01:25 AM   #56
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

So about aliens...lol I take my dog outside earlier tonight and I look off to the east over some trees and I see a light in the sky flashing bright red every couple seconds. I think nothing of it at first, I just pass it off as a plane. I'm watching my dog do his thing and then a minute or two later I look back up and catch the light again...In the same exact place! I'm like WTF man. So I continue to look at it and it just sits there flashing red on and off. I take my dog in and go back about about 10 minutes later and its still there! Hasn't moved an inch. It's cold as hell out so I go back in for like 20 minutes then come back out to check it and its gone.

Now I'm not saying its aliens, but.....
Spoiler

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood »