Home

Would you be in Favor of Standardizing Holidays to Certain Days of the Week?

This is a discussion on Would you be in Favor of Standardizing Holidays to Certain Days of the Week? within the OS Neighborhood forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-31-2019, 07:07 PM   #33
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Would you be in Favor of Standardizing Holidays to Certain Days of the Week?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
You’re contradicting yourself then.

Halloween (Day of the Dead) is the start of the three day Holiday which culminates with All Souls Day.
Thats probably where I get offtrack, I tend to think of holiday as 1 day.

A Work in Progress
Old 07-31-2019, 07:15 PM   #34

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: Would you be in Favor of Standardizing Holidays to Certain Days of the Week?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
Thats probably where I get offtrack, I tend to think of holiday as 1 day.
I just think you back yourself in a corner by saying you don't consider something a holiday unless people get off work or school because of it.

In PA (probably elsewhere as well) schools are out for the first day of hunting season every year. Out of everywhere I've ever lived (3 states previously including Montana), I'd never encountered that until moving here in 2000.

I don't consider that a holiday.

I'm off for Columbus day and get paid for it but without getting into the conversation behind it, I don't personally consider that a Holiday I should be paid to not go to work for.

And then you have some holidays like Passover which are multiple days (I believe) that should be Holiday's for those that it's relevant to.

For obvious reason's we can't get into a lot of those discussions but I think the "holiday's" we celebrate or don't often times don't really land as they should.
Old 07-31-2019, 07:36 PM   #35
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
In PA (probably elsewhere as well) schools are out for the first day of hunting season every year. Out of everywhere I've ever lived (3 states previously including Montana), I'd never encountered that until moving here in 2000.

I don't consider that a holiday.

now that would fit what I think of holiday. used to be, holidays were only special religious days. Holy Day. but now it also encompasses special days of rest. I guess thats why when I hear ''holiday'', I dont think of Holy Day, but I think ''rest'' lol I dont rest on Valentine Day or April Fools Day but I can see how people (not me) would say those are holidays. holiday pretty much means vacation from work for me. I definitely dont expect people to view holidays the way I do. I guess if I was less secular, I'd view holidays like a lot of traditionalists.

A Work in Progress
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-31-2019, 07:41 PM   #36

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
now that would fit what I think of holiday. used to be, holidays were only special religious days. Holy Day. but now it also encompasses special days of rest. I guess thats why when I hear ''holiday'', I dont think of Holy Day, but I think ''rest'' lol I dont rest on Valentine Day or April Fools Day but I can see how people (not me) would say those are holidays. holiday pretty much means vacation from work for me. I definitely dont expect people to view holidays the way I do. I guess if I was less secular, I'd view holidays like a lot of traditionalists.

Ha, it’s not a day a rest though. Hunters are in the woods before the sun is up.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:12 PM   #37
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33

We get Columbus Day off in my new district. I've never gotten that day off before as a student or teacher 🤷🏾*♂️

Sent from my SM-G950U using Operation Sports mobile app
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

Old 07-31-2019, 10:11 PM   #38
Hall Of Fame

NYJets's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShizNo1
We get Columbus Day off in my new district. I've never gotten that day off before as a student or teacher 🤷🏾*♂️

Sent from my SM-G950U using Operation Sports mobile app
We get it off. I did as a kid, but that district doesn't anymore, and neither did the other 2 districts I worked in before, so I figured they did away with it until I got this job.
Old 08-02-2019, 04:00 PM   #39
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

I stand corrected. No less an authority than the United States military recognises Halloween as a holiday. Mea Culpa.
also, apologies for going so far off on a tangent.

and steering back on topic, I really wouldnt be surprised if Halloween starts getting celebrated mainly on Saturdays. The candy companies (aka the lollipop guild) are getting behind the push. I think its the Snickers bar company thats offering to give away a million free snicker bars if it gets a solid Saturday observation

A Work in Progress

Last edited by Caulfield; 08-02-2019 at 06:14 PM.
Old 08-04-2019, 10:36 AM   #40
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

Halloween should absolutely be standardized to the last Friday/Saturday of October.

As a father of 2 little kids, it absolutely sucks trick or treating in the middle of the week. Try getting a 3 year to sleep after they've eaten s***load of candy.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood »