Home

OS Lets Talk (Mental Health Thread)

This is a discussion on OS Lets Talk (Mental Health Thread) within the OS Neighborhood forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-10-2018, 03:28 PM   #17
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18
Re: OS Lets Talk (Mental Health Thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVarck31
It definitely ties into it. It's potentially a form of OCD.
This is the kind of stuff that really shouldn't be in a thread like this.

I would strongly suggest refraining from attempting to diagnose people when you don't have the credentials/training/etc to do so.

Watch me play video games
Old 02-10-2018, 06:43 PM   #18
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr.
This is the kind of stuff that really shouldn't be in a thread like this.

I would strongly suggest refraining from attempting to diagnose people when you don't have the credentials/training/etc to do so.
First of all, I didn't diagnose anything. The question was asked if the posters issues belonged in this thread. I simply said it could potentially be a form of OCD. I answered a question and didn't even remotely offer a diagnosis. My response wasn't even to the poster who made the post you're referring to.

I don't see that as a diagnosis in any way shape or form. And in a mental health thread I feel like it pertains to the discussion. ie Let's talk.

He was obviously looking for some type of response. There have been many threads here where people talk about being down, feeling depressed and it is suggested that they might have depressions issues and should see someone.

I don't see how this is any different than that.

I am a mental health advocate I fight everyday to end the stigma. And I would never diagnose someone on a message board. Or anywhere else for that matter. If it came off like that, it certainly wasn't my intention.

Last edited by PVarck31; 02-10-2018 at 07:34 PM.
Old 02-10-2018, 08:08 PM   #19
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

Quote:
First of all, I didn't diagnose anything. The question was asked if the posters issues belonged in this thread. I simply said it could potentially be a form of OCD. I answered a question and didn't even remotely offer a diagnosis. My response wasn't even to the poster who made the post you're referring to.

I don't see that as a diagnosis in any way shape or form. And in a mental health thread I feel like it pertains to the discussion. ie Let's talk.
But it is a diagnosis. When you state that something seems like a form of a disorder, that's exactly what you're doing.. offering a suggested diagnosis. While it may seem innocent, you don't know the psychological effect of telling something that their behavior could potentially be a disorder.

Imagine telling someone that a mole they had removed could potentially be a form of cancer. Don't you think that would plant the idea that they might have cancer? It's the same idea with mental health. While you didn't address him directly, you were speaking about his post and offering a possible explanation for his behavior (which is what a diagnosis is).

Quote:
He was obviously looking for some type of response. There have been many threads here where people talk about being down, feeling depressed and it is suggested that they might have depressions issues and should see someone.

I don't see how this is any different than that.
And I don't believe anyone here should be saying that another person is depressed from a post on a message board. You're right, it's not any different.

Quote:
I am a mental health advocate I fight everyday to end the stigma. And I would never diagnose someone on a message board. Or anywhere else for that matter. If it came off like that, it certainly wasn't my intention.
That's really great that you advocate for mental health. Unfortunately, there aren't enough people that do. The issue is that your intent doesn't matter, only how the other person perceives it. If the poster sees your comment about potentially OCD tendencies in their behavior, who knows how they'll take it. Maybe it's valuable insight, but it could also cause some type of unforeseeable harm. This is why mental health professionals have liability insurance.

Old 02-10-2018, 08:23 PM   #20
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr.
But it is a diagnosis. When you state that something seems like a form of a disorder, that's exactly what you're doing.. offering a suggested diagnosis. While it may seem innocent, you don't know the psychological effect of telling something that their behavior could potentially be a disorder.

Imagine telling someone that a mole they had removed could potentially be a form of cancer. Don't you think that would plant the idea that they might have cancer? It's the same idea with mental health. While you didn't address him directly, you were speaking about his post and offering a possible explanation for his behavior (which is what a diagnosis is).

And I don't believe anyone here should be saying that another person is depressed from a post on a message board. You're right, it's not any different.

That's really great that you advocate for mental health. Unfortunately, there aren't enough people that do. The issue is that your intent doesn't matter, only how the other person perceives it. If the poster sees your comment about potentially OCD tendencies in their behavior, who knows how they'll take it. Maybe it's valuable insight, but it could also cause some type of unforeseeable harm. This is why mental health professionals have liability insurance.
I understand what you are saying. I guess certain people could take it a certain way.

If you see it as me making a diagnosis then that's fine, and maybe I should have chosen my words differently.

I just think you're making what I said out to be more of an issue that it was.

I did not address the poster in question and did not specifically say to him "You have OCD." To me, that is making a diagnosis.

All I did was answer the question of whether or not that topic should be discussed here. I honestly thought I was helping more that potentially hurting anyone.

But I guess it's better to err on the side of caution when talking about mental disorders so there is no confusion on a specific diagnosis that could be perceived as labeling someone with it.

In the future I will make sure to choose my words more carefully.

And I really hope I didn't offend the poster in question. If I did then I am truly sorry.

I don't really have anything else to say here so let's let the thread get back on track.

JR, if you want to talk more about it feel free to PM me.

Last edited by PVarck31; 02-10-2018 at 08:56 PM.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:44 AM   #21
Pro

notsobabybombers's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
I understand what you are saying. I guess certain people could take it a certain way.

If you see it as me making a diagnosis then that's fine, and maybe I should have chosen my words differently.

I just think you're making what I said out to be more of an issue that it was.

I did not address the poster in question and did not specifically say to him "You have OCD." To me, that is making a diagnosis.

All I did was answer the question of whether or not that topic should be discussed here. I honestly thought I was helping more that potentially hurting anyone.

But I guess it's better to err on the side of caution when talking about mental disorders so there is no confusion on a specific diagnosis that could be perceived as labeling someone with it.

In the future I will make sure to choose my words more carefully.

And I really hope I didn't offend the poster in question. If I did then I am truly sorry.

I don't really have anything else to say here so let's let the thread get back on track.

JR, if you want to talk more about it feel free to PM me.
You didn't offend me at all.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-15-2018, 09:08 PM   #22
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Jr: he didn't diagnose him. He just said that it was an appropriate place to discuss those issues.

This thread is about mental health, if talking about it bothers you then maybe you should abstain from reading it. J/s

Sent from my iPad using Operation Sports

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 02-16-2018, 04:04 PM   #23
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
Jr: he didn't diagnose him. He just said that it was an appropriate place to discuss those issues.

This thread is about mental health, if talking about it bothers you then maybe you should abstain from reading it. J/s

Sent from my iPad using Operation Sports
We've moved on. Thanks for your input, though. It's been noted.

Old 02-28-2018, 12:09 AM   #24
Hall Of Fame

l3ulvl's Arena

OVR: 26

Something that's been bugging me, and this is more of a vent post than a "what should I do" post...

I started seeing a psychiatrist a couple years ago, she immediately told me she saw signs of autism in me, something I never considered, and she believed I had asperger syndrome.

The next session we had, she doubled down on the asperger idea, even encouraged me to google jobs for people with aspergers. She never outright diagnosed me.

It felt like she was building toward that conclusion, but before we could have another session she left the practice. I was redirected to another psychiatrist who gave zero ****s about hearing me and just wanted to throw med after med at me.

Apparently the previous psychiatrist was getting heat for spending TOO MUCH time with her patients/clients and the waiting room was building up and this all played into her leaving abruptly. This new guy had a thick indian accent and I'm not trying to disparage anyone but I have such a hard time understanding thick accents, and this guy was more concerned with being the opposite of the other psychiatrist and basically wanted everyone in and out within 5 minutes.

The whole asperger/autism got lost and forgotten, the meds for 18 months didn't work no matter how many times I changed to something new. It's so frustrating when you get the side effects of meds and none of the benefits. This guy was just like "didn't work? try these, bye" with hardly any interaction, which was hard for me to decipher anyway.

Sometime last November I had enough, I stopped meds and got a ween down prescription and have been off them all ever since.

The more I learn about asperger syndrome the more I think the original psychiatrist was on to something, but since she never gave me an official diagnosis I feel stuck, and I don't want to go back to psychiatrist #2 just to have him dismiss me and throw more meds at me.

Like I said, I just wanted to vent for a minute, I still see a therapist on the regular and wrote it down in my notes to talk to her about, I'm kinda hoping she can use her connections in the psch services to set me up with a different psychiatrist if/when I decide to give it another shot

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood »