Home

Logging off Social Media

This is a discussion on Logging off Social Media within the OS Neighborhood forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-01-2018, 11:43 AM   #17
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: Logging off Social Media

Mainly using it for family stuff and am blocking/unfollowing people evey day.

90% people with "I bet you won't share" posts or letting me know they decided to.make chili...

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS
Old 11-01-2018, 02:40 PM   #18
All Star

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
I used to read and post in political groups/pages on FB with regularity but the simple fact of the matter is this, that material was very unhealthy. I'd find i'd get visibly angry and my blood pressure boiling because of it. I'm just speaking in generalities here so as not to break the TOS but the level of discourse was almost always bottom of the barrel and i've found it a lot more healthy to just avoid that stuff.

Nowadays I only use FB to play games and talk to a couple of friends. I don't use Twitter very much and due to personal life events didn't even get to do my live tweeting of the World Series.

So yeah, i'm not Mr. Social Media.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCutlersCig
Do it.

I’ve learned that social media has given a platform to stupid, toxic, and politically pigheaded (on all sides) people. I took a hiatus from Facebook and came back only when my parents convinced me to. Now, I just keep up with my friends and sports teams, as it was meant to be. Social media is a toxic medium.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Tendrils
I find myself using social media platforms less and less. Admittedly Facebook is the primary one I used, but my time and effort has greatly decreased over the past 5 years or so.

I think "social" media is a misnomer partly. It is a fantastic tool for conversing with strangers and maintaining long distance relationships that was simply not possible before, but I feel like I miss-out more with those I'm closer with.

In a sense I now view these platforms as "anti-social" media. Sure, you're conversing via text, audio, or visual, but it's still very isolating and lonely. When we got back from our honeymoon I was reminiscing about the days of my parents and their grandparents. How their grandparents would go on vacation, come back with a Kodak Carousel, and effectively make a presentation of their vacation to the family.

Fast forward to now and it's an image dump to Facebook and that's it. There's no connection or narrative. It all feels so cold and impersonal to me now.
I don't know if any of you ever watch "Frontline" on PBS, but last week and this week, they did a 2-part documentary series on Facebook called "The Facebook Dilemma", which is all about how social media has turned into this really toxic cesspool - BY DESIGN!

It's worth watching/DVR'ing if you have a chance, but the crux of the thing is that their entire business model is predicated on engagement with the platform (thus giving them more opportunity to collect your information), and they don't differentiate - and perhaps more importantly, don't care - whether that engagement is positive or negative. As it turns out, the most polarizing and angering content is also what drives the most "engagement" with the platform. So Facebook (and all social media, really) became a wasteland for extreme opinions and polarizing content, because that's what makes them the most money.

Anyone looking to disengage from social media is probably doing the right thing.
Old 11-01-2018, 03:37 PM   #19
Strike Hard and Fade Away

Fresh Tendrils's Arena

OVR: 51

That perspective does not surprise me at all. In fact my initial response was, "Duh."

I've caught myself going to comment on news articles or friends' posts that I wouldn't otherwise in a normal, friendly setting. Heck, some of them I've gotten as far typing out a response. Then I realize, "why the **** do I care," delete it, and move on.

I'm looking for more proactive involvement as opposed to simply fighting comments on the local news feed.

Old 11-01-2018, 06:13 PM   #20
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Tendrils
That perspective does not surprise me at all. In fact my initial response was, "Duh."

I've caught myself going to comment on news articles or friends' posts that I wouldn't otherwise in a normal, friendly setting. Heck, some of them I've gotten as far typing out a response. Then I realize, "why the **** do I care," delete it, and move on.

I'm looking for more proactive involvement as opposed to simply fighting comments on the local news feed.
Right, I think that's the point exactly: it's not surprising to anyone who's ever thought about it for a moment or two, but what is surprising is how true it is and how well it works, even if you know you're being manipulated by FB's "news feed" to see triggering posts. It's like you can't stop yourself. Which is exactly the way they want it.
Old 11-01-2018, 06:22 PM   #21
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietasterp
Right, I think that's the point exactly: it's not surprising to anyone who's ever thought about it for a moment or two, but what is surprising is how true it is and how well it works, even if you know you're being manipulated by FB's "news feed" to see triggering posts. It's like you can't stop yourself. Which is exactly the way they want it.
The sad thing is, even if you leave an innocuous comment that is definitely slanted to your POV but NOT attacking the other side you're still going to get broadsided by some idiot. It's like people go on Social Media just to throw their weight around and feel more important than they really are.

It's pretty sad to be honest with you.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-01-2018, 06:43 PM   #22
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
The sad thing is, even if you leave an innocuous comment that is definitely slanted to your POV but NOT attacking the other side you're still going to get broadsided by some idiot. It's like people go on Social Media just to throw their weight around and feel more important than they really are.

It's pretty sad to be honest with you.
Yes. Yes it is.
Old 11-01-2018, 06:52 PM   #23
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Only thing I use Twitter for is its PS4 screenshot upload and for following a few game developers and some Twitch content creators.

Never was the least bit interested in getting seriously involved in social media.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:11 PM   #24
I hate you Norv

tdawg3782's Arena

OVR: 11

I feel you brother. I've been "off the grid" for over two years now. No social media accounts at all. This message board is the closest I have to social media.

Anyways I was the same as you. Checking just for the sake of checking. I didn't really care but felt the need to be in the know. And honestly a lot of my social media "friends" just aggravated me with their SMW opinions and just whatnot. Quit cold turkey and never looked back. It's a very refreshing feeling. I realized if the were my actual friend I have was to keep in contact with them other then social media. I don't miss it one bit.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood »