Home

Logging off Social Media

This is a discussion on Logging off Social Media within the OS Neighborhood forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-01-2018, 10:20 PM   #25
MVP

bravesfan1984's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Logging off Social Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg3782
I feel you brother. I've been "off the grid" for over two years now. No social media accounts at all. This message board is the closest I have to social media.

Anyways I was the same as you. Checking just for the sake of checking. I didn't really care but felt the need to be in the know. And honestly a lot of my social media "friends" just aggravated me with their SMW opinions and just whatnot. Quit cold turkey and never looked back. It's a very refreshing feeling. I realized if the were my actual friend I have was to keep in contact with them other then social media. I don't miss it one bit.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I long to be off the grid, it's just exhausting. Just checking in constantly is maddening and devoting all the wasted time elsewhere and being more productive would feel incredible. The more I read the responses from everyone in here, the better I feel about unplugging. I thank you all, keep the responses coming! I'm not the only one out there longing for social media freedom!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Operation Sports mobile app

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-03-2018, 11:17 PM   #26
All Star

DrJones's Arena

OVR: 20

This is the one and only site where I interact with people who I don't know IRL. I follow a few people on Twitter but don't have an account myself. I still have Facebook but mainly to keep in touch with out-of-town friends.

As others have mentioned, I think smartphones are the biggest problem. I only used flip phones with no net access up until 2 years ago (whereupon I needed a smartphone for my job). Whenever I use transit to go anywhere, I read a book. Doesn't matter if it's a novel, nonfiction, comic, whatever. Very good at reducing stress. I always recommend reading at least 15 min before going to sleep as well; don't go straight from phone/computer/gaming to bed. I try to cram in all the CE/sports/entertainment news in one hour a day, bookmark long reads for the weekend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
DrJones brings the stinky cheese is what we've all learned from this debacle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipnis22
yes your fantasy world when your proven wrong about 95% of your post
Old 11-04-2018, 04:08 AM   #27
All Star

SmashMan's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietasterp
Right, I think that's the point exactly: it's not surprising to anyone who's ever thought about it for a moment or two, but what is surprising is how true it is and how well it works, even if you know you're being manipulated by FB's "news feed" to see triggering posts. It's like you can't stop yourself. Which is exactly the way they want it.
I don't think many people even put that level of thought into it. They see a meme or a quote or whatever...it appeals to people on an emotional level instead of a critical level, they get high on the feeling and don't look for the underlying fact in whatever it is.

I'm not going to say I've never fallen victim to it, but I'm also someone who has tried to look into context for most things like this. That has only increased in the last few years. There's so much crap out there, you'd be doing yourself a disservice by not having the most accurate info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
The sad thing is, even if you leave an innocuous comment that is definitely slanted to your POV but NOT attacking the other side you're still going to get broadsided by some idiot. It's like people go on Social Media just to throw their weight around and feel more important than they really are.

It's pretty sad to be honest with you.
Agreed. I've stopped replying to things, even if I agree, because it's just not worth it. Replies, tweets, and comment boxes don't lend themselves to having actual discussion. It's built for quick, hit-and-run opinions. Combine that with the relative anonymity and disconnect between typing on a screen and actually speaking to someone? You can never really tell who's just trying to bait a reaction.

The biggest problem is that in the cycle of people only taking in what's in their bubble, they've created a caricature (of all the worst traits) of the person who may disagree with them so they're starting off a discussion at a point of insanity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJones
As others have mentioned, I think smartphones are the biggest problem. I only used flip phones with no net access up until 2 years ago (whereupon I needed a smartphone for my job).
It's a double-edged sword. The ease of use of smartphones and tablets open up so many other avenues of information to us, but to take it in we have to stare at a small screen instead of just experiencing it.

I think it's all about moderation, though that obviously sounds easier than it is.
Old 11-05-2018, 03:50 PM   #28
All Star

OVR: 13

Another interesting tidbit (maybe only interesting to me?) that an acquaintance who works for Facebook told me is that >80% of posts on Facebook are "Happy Birthday", or some similar pithy, mindless, throw-away sentiment. In case you needed any more evidence that social media was vacuous...
Old 11-05-2018, 04:08 PM   #29
BING BONG

DieHardYankee26's Arena

OVR: 10

What percentage of general human interaction is mindless in that same way? Every time I see someone say social media sucks I read it as people suck, and theres no easy way around that one.
I can't hide who I am, baby I'm a gangster
In the Rolls Royce, steppin' on a mink rug
The clique just a gang of bosses that linked up
Old 11-05-2018, 05:07 PM   #30
All Star

SmashMan's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieHardYankee26
What percentage of general human interaction is mindless in that same way? Every time I see someone say social media sucks I read it as people suck, and theres no easy way around that one.
Yeah, social media itself isn't the problem - people are generally jerks. Social media has only made it worse in that we all have easy access to platforms to air these grievances if we want.
Old 11-05-2018, 08:15 PM   #31
All Star

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieHardYankee26
General human interaction? Probably some reasonably high percentage. But I would say that for me, >80% of my interactions with people are definitely NOT "Happy Birthday" or some other such limited interaction. It's not zero, but it's not 80+%.

Also, I would argue that wishing someone a happy birthday in person is another level of social interaction entirely than simply typing it in a box on Facebook. I suppose reasonable people can disagree on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmashMan
Yeah, social media itself isn't the problem - people are generally jerks. Social media has only made it worse in that we all have easy access to platforms to air these grievances if we want.
It's at least part of the problem. The whole idea of actual social interaction is that people mediate their inherent "jerkiness" in real life because it's not compatible with functional social interaction. People that are huge jerks in real life tend not to have a lot of friends or supporters, and much of the things people say on social media (in the way they are said) might get you punched IRL. But many people on social media are a totally unfiltered, un-chastened by social norms, worst possible version of themselves (at times). And those people drive "engagement", either via rebuke or response.

There's value in real life social norms and decorum. Or at least, there used to be...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-05-2018, 08:50 PM   #32
BING BONG

DieHardYankee26's Arena

OVR: 10

You'd really have to break down that 80% and figure out what exactly someone deems meaningless. Also would probably have to figure out a way to account for bots. It's definitely another level of social interaction to say it in person but whether that makes it meaningful is a little different.
I can't hide who I am, baby I'm a gangster
In the Rolls Royce, steppin' on a mink rug
The clique just a gang of bosses that linked up

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood »