Home

East-Coast Trip Ideas

This is a discussion on East-Coast Trip Ideas within the OS Neighborhood forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-07-2019, 03:45 PM   #1
MVP

Trevytrev11's Arena

OVR: 19
East-Coast Trip Ideas

We are planning a little (or long) east-coast trip this summer with the family (kids will be 9/12). The current plan is as follows:
- Fly into Pittsburgh 06/22
- Spend a day or two exploring Pittsburgh (catch a game at PNC)
- Drive across Pennsylvania through Hershey/Lancaster PA (Visit some of the Hershey brand related offerings, visit Amish Experience)
- Drive to Philadelphia (catch a Phillies game, spend another day or two in the city)
- Drive through New Jersey, along the coast down to Cape May and take the Ferry across to Delaware (likely spend a day driving through/around Delaware)
- Drive from Delaware to Virginia and hit some of the historical/popular locations of note between Virginia Beach and Richmond (likely spend a day or two doing this)
- Drive through Maryland into DC (spend a few days in DC, catch a Nationals Game, catch 4th of July Fireworks in DC)
- Fly out on 07/05

All in, we are looking at about 14 days/13 nights. The longest drive we'll have appears to be about 3.5 hours from Pittsburgh to Hershey. The rest of the trip, we'll try and break into 1-2 hour drives. Living in Texas, it amazes me how many big cities are within relative proximity on the east coast. You can literally drive 13 hours west from Houston and would still be in TX.

Our kids are both excited about the trip and the fact they get to visit 5 different states and DC and see a bunch of stuff they've been learning about.

We've done quite a bit of research and feel pretty good about Philly and DC, but am looking for any cool spots, restaurants or ideas along the way that would help make for a memorable trip (including anything in Philly or DC).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-07-2019, 07:54 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: East-Coast Trip Ideas

The drive from Pittsburgh to Philly will probably be boring, so plan accordingly.
For Hershey, you could spend a day at Hershey park if you like amusement parks and do some of the Hershey tours.
In Philly make sure to stop and get a cheesesteak for one of 3. People will argue which one is best, but whatever.

You may want to plan your driving around rush hour when near Philly or allocate extra time if you are going the wrong direction it could take a long time.

It's been a while since I was there, so don't have any current must go to places with kids other than the normal historical stops.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
Old 03-07-2019, 08:31 PM   #3

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Where are you staying in Pittsburgh? I would say going to Mount Washington is a must. You can take one of the inclines up the hill and either eat up there or just walk around for a bit. It's an amazing view and your kids will love taking the incline.

(As someone who moved here from New Mexico at a younger age, I was amazed by it)

prushing is right about the trip across the state. It is incredibly boring. I'm glad you will be breaking it up by stopping in Harrisburg first. Also, make sure to have cash for the ride. I don't know how much it is anymore but it is very expensive. At least $60 I believe to go across the state. I have an easy pass so I'm not sure about it but before I got that, there was no card option on the turnpike.

The Amish experience is fun. You can see a bit of it in Hershey but you may have to venture a bit to see the true experience. If you have time, I recommend trying to find your way to Intercourse, PA. On your way you would pass Blue Balls, PA. I am NOT making that up. They embrace themselves as Amish communities and are most welcoming to tourists.

For Philly, I would recommend just staying in the downtown area for the usual tourist stops. That can fill up a day in and of itself. (I recommend Jim's by the way for the Cheesesteaks).

Can't offer suggestions for the rest, though if you try and find a way to fit in Baltimore I would recommend it.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:39 AM   #4
MVP

Trevytrev11's Arena

OVR: 19

Thanks. A co-worker had mentioned Duquesne Incline in Pittsburgh, so that is on our to-do list. I was also told I had to eat at Primanti Brothers.

In Pittsburgh, we're looking at staying right in, or near, downtown near Point State Park. Looks like from there, it's walking distance to PNC and some other good stuff.

Thanks for the heads up on the cost to travel. Didn't realize it was a toll road.

Planned on staying in downtown Philly as well. Little bit of sticker shock there + the cost to park, but looks like its worth the convenience of not having to commute in and out of the area.
Old 03-08-2019, 05:48 PM   #5
All Star

OVR: 13

Primanti Bros. for a big sandwich in Pittsburgh, just because I sorta feel like you're supposed to...

I love me a Philly Cheesesteak, so that's a no-brainer. Pat's for me but any are good. The more fun thing to do though is to go to the Redding Terminal Market, which is a huge food hall/emporium, and go get a roast pork sandwich at DeNic's. Sharp provolone, broccoli rabe, man....mouth is watering just thinking about it.

In DC there are endless things to see/do, you could probably spend an entire 2-weeks just in the DC area. Jaleo is classic for tapas/Spanish food, but honestly there are so many places you can't go wrong. The Smithsonian museums are great for all, and my personal fave has always been the Air & Space museum. And all the museums in the mall are free entry (well, you've been paying for them your whole life so not really "free", but you don't give them additional money when you walk in the door....).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-13-2019, 05:16 PM   #6
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

Plan for A LOT of traffic in and near DC too. Once you're in the City, it's best to either uber or take the metro. Nats Park is pretty cool and there are some good restaurants around it now. The Portrait Gallery is pretty cool too.

Also, prepare yourself for some serious humidity in DC.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:02 PM   #7
All Star

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG
Plan for A LOT of traffic in and near DC too. Once you're in the City, it's best to either uber or take the metro. Nats Park is pretty cool and there are some good restaurants around it now. The Portrait Gallery is pretty cool too.

Also, prepare yourself for some serious humidity in DC.
Key tip from KG above - don't drive in DC if you don't have to. You'll waste so much time in parking/traffic, half your day will be spent not having much fun. Uber/Metro definitely the way to go.
Old 03-14-2019, 01:02 PM   #8
LETS GO METS!!!

Sheamazin's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietasterp
Primanti Bros. for a big sandwich in Pittsburgh, just because I sorta feel like you're supposed to...

I love me a Philly Cheesesteak, so that's a no-brainer. Pat's for me but any are good. The more fun thing to do though is to go to the Redding Terminal Market, which is a huge food hall/emporium, and go get a roast pork sandwich at DeNic's. Sharp provolone, broccoli rabe, man....mouth is watering just thinking about it.

In DC there are endless things to see/do, you could probably spend an entire 2-weeks just in the DC area. Jaleo is classic for tapas/Spanish food, but honestly there are so many places you can't go wrong. The Smithsonian museums are great for all, and my personal fave has always been the Air & Space museum. And all the museums in the mall are free entry (well, you've been paying for them your whole life so not really "free", but you don't give them additional money when you walk in the door....).

Jim's on South St is way better than Pat's or Geno's.
NCAAF: Rutgers Scarlet Knights/Michigan Wolverines
NCAAB: Michigan Wolverines

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood »