Home

Computer for online grad school program?

This is a discussion on Computer for online grad school program? within the OS Neighborhood forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-21-2019, 03:33 PM   #1
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43
Computer for online grad school program?

I should be starting an online Master of Education program through Penn State World Campus this summer. I might be able to do some of the work at work on a PC, but I'll need something portable as well. I'm starting to look into 2-in-1s, Chromebooks, and laptops.

I bought a cheap Lenovo laptop a few years ago and was very disappointed in its performance. I don't want to get burned again, as I need something I can pull out if I get a free hour and go. Not something I need to boot up and walk away from until it decides to cooperate.

So specs/performance are important, but it's not like I'll be gaming, photo/video editing, etc or using other really powerful applications. Mostly using the Canvas online course system, writing papers, and reading digital textbooks (hopefully).

I kinda like the idea of a Surface Pro since it would travel well, should be able to read as a tablet, and would keep everything in the same format (I realize that's not a big deal nowadays, but still). But, I'm reluctant to spend that kind of cash unless it's really worth it.

Chromebooks seem like a cheaper option that might work, but it seems I'd be limited to using the Canvas mobile app. Probably good enough, but their site points out it's not fully featured compared to the desktop version.

Would love input from anyone with knowledge/experience from similar circumstances or IT support background.

Thanks!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-21-2019, 07:28 PM   #2
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Computer for online grad school program?

I bought a surface pro 3 when I started teaching 5 years ago. I did have to do an out of warranty replacement because the screen wouldn't turn on a couple of years ago, but I have been extremely happy with the purchase.

It does everything I need it to and more. I got the i5 version, so the mid tier and got it during a sale so it was $800 total. I love the mobility of it and it has plenty of power to do the things I need (presentations, download and/or stream videos, etc.).

If you're used to/okay with Windows 10, then I highly recommend a surface.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Operation Sports mobile app

Watch me play video games
Old 01-21-2019, 08:37 PM   #3
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

Thanks for the feedback, Jr.
Old 02-17-2019, 02:18 PM   #4
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

In the event anyone else is thinking about it, I took the plunge on the Surface Pro 6 since Costco has a good bundle deal this month. i5/8gb RAM/128gb SSD with type cover and pen for $800. So far I really dig it and think it's the right choice for my needs.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood »