Home

For those who use PayPal

This is a discussion on For those who use PayPal within the OS Neighborhood forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-20-2019, 05:50 PM   #1
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46
For those who use PayPal

So I've been selling items on ebay for years, and also sell things on other sites that use paypal like Swappa, which is what happened here.

I sold a phone on there early this morning and this is probably 10th or 12th phone I've sold with them and I got the notification that it sold, then an email from Paypal saying my funds have been put on hold because I am new to Paypal and haven't had a history built up yet.

I'm like WTF!!! I've been a member of Paypal since 2004. So I go to the Paypal site and sure enough it shows the amount was paid but it's on hold.

Like I said, I've been using paypal since 2004. Whether it be with Ebay, Swappa, or other sites and in this time I have has somewhere along the lines of over 1,000 transactions and I have never had a single one put on hold.

So I ended up chatting with someone from Paypal and they told me it was because it was paid for by good and services. Ok so again WTF? 99.9% of my payments on Paypal have been through goods and services. I pressed the guy to give a better reason why this is happening and all he would tell me is that I can be assured I will get the money.

I was told that if I buy the shipping label through Paypal then once delivery is confirmed I should get the money within 24 hours.

Has this every happened to anyone? I'm really sorry for the long post. I just feel like it is not acceptable to have to send the item to someone before I get paid. And they are saying well you did get paid it's just on hold. I don't think that's acceptable. I should have the money in my hands before I send something to the person who bought it. Especially since we are talking a high value item.

TL;DR Paypal basically screwed me by holding funds from a sale and I have to ship the item to the buyer before I can even get paid. This has never happened to me in the 15 years I've used Paypal.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-20-2019, 10:13 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: For those who use PayPal

https://www.paypal.com/us/brc/articl...s-availability

For any number of reasons they can hold the money. I would bet since it is a phone, they don't want to release the funds because of the value. Document the phone when shipping, insure it, and then mail it. If you haven't sold a high value item in a while, it can be triggered automatically.

Basically they want to protect themselves to make sure they don't have to refund the buyer because you sent them something different or nothing at all. It makes it easier for them to get the money back from you.
Old 07-20-2019, 10:20 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

LowerWolf's Arena

OVR: 19

I’ve only sold a handful of items on eBay, so I don’t have near the experience or reputation you have. But when I sold an iPad a couple of years ago, PayPal held the funds for a few days. They said they’d hold them for a week, but released them after a couple days.
Old 07-21-2019, 02:59 AM   #4
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_rushing
https://www.paypal.com/us/brc/articl...s-availability

For any number of reasons they can hold the money. I would bet since it is a phone, they don't want to release the funds because of the value. Document the phone when shipping, insure it, and then mail it. If you haven't sold a high value item in a while, it can be triggered automatically.

Basically they want to protect themselves to make sure they don't have to refund the buyer because you sent them something different or nothing at all. It makes it easier for them to get the money back from you.
Yeah, that's probably the reason. Just so frustrating. I have it already packed to ship on Monday. But when I did the label I forgot to get insurance on it. I have the serial number of the phone and it's packed super securely.

I wonder if I can add insurance at the post office.
Old 07-21-2019, 08:11 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVarck31
Yeah, that's probably the reason. Just so frustrating. I have it already packed to ship on Monday. But when I did the label I forgot to get insurance on it. I have the serial number of the phone and it's packed super securely.

I wonder if I can add insurance at the post office.
You can add it, they will just but another sticker on it if needed

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-27-2019, 01:22 AM   #6
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65

Same thing happens when you sell something on Ebay... this has been going on for awhile
Old 08-01-2019, 01:47 AM   #7
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

Ended up getting the money released about 24 hours after it was delivered.

And yeah, talking to others, this seems to be happening more often. Someone said that when paypal hold your money they gain interest off of it. I have no idea if that's true or not.

But either way, it's frustrating and quite frankly, it shouldn't happen. Especially for long time ebay and paypal users. I've hap a paypal account since 2004.
Old 08-01-2019, 01:59 AM   #8
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Just because I have nowhere else to post this, I got lazy trying to download a DLL file before setting up my virus protection on my new computer and got a virus. I ended up restoring the computer to factory and redid all of my stuff again, but I found out the next morning that three payments totaling to $439.99 were made to advertising agencies from my PayPal account within the five minutes that my computer was on right after the worm came on my computer.

I ended up getting everything refunded and took care of things on my end, but yikes this is the first time I've been a victim of any sort of identity fraud. If y'all ever get hit with a virus at any time, just make sure to look at all your accounts, and often.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood »