Home

2020 Fitness Adventures

This is a discussion on 2020 Fitness Adventures within the OS Neighborhood forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-23-2020, 03:43 PM   #121
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47
Re: 2020 Fitness Adventures

Yes, hope that new water heater arrives tomorrow, Blzer. Middle of summer in AZ is about the only time I would go out of my way to have a cool shower.

In my exercise adventures, I went for a bike ride over the weekend and yeah, it was pretty awful. Definitely glad I went, but about halfway through the ride my legs just decided to get heavy and tired and it was a slog to make it back home. First time in a while that's happened to me.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-29-2020, 03:45 PM   #122
All Star

bhurst99's Arena

OVR: 27

So I kept sane this year by cycling and then pushed myself to the brink of insanity by cycling some more. I cycled a personal best 4,160 km in 2020 over 102 rides, according to Strava. My previous personal best was like 2,020 km last year so its quite an increase. All on a cheap $400 mountain bike that I purchased in 2019.

Quite frankly it wasn't all positive. My wife got upset with me a few times during the summer when I went out for day long rides. (The rides might not take all day but if I bike for six hours, yeah, I'm not doing anything after that). It can be a little selfish biking this much but there were times when I was really driven.

I worked full time through the year (mostly from home due to the pandemic) and I would go out after work or before work and weekends. When I wasn't biking, I was thinking about where to go next. It was a bit of an obsession. It was my lockdown/Covid escape. There were a lot of times during dicey weather where I just said f-it, I'm going for a ride. I chased Strava goals like 600 km a month like my life depended on it -- other things got cast aside.

The most frustrating thing is despite all my efforts I really didn't get any faster and I certainly didn't lose much weight. When I was cycling on the road, I got passed all the time by other cyclists. Of course, most of them had better rides than me but at the end of the day I'm not convinced a better bike would make me that much faster. I can't see myself hitting 30 km an hour over a long ride like others I see on Strava.

The positives were that my stamina definitely increased and I became a better climber. I discovered a lot of areas and back roads around my house that I didn't know existed. I really saw the beauty of the regions around my house that I never would have discovered from a car. I live on the edge of a city but I'm like a minute away from rural farm country. It makes for some interesting rides and I found a lot of cycling urban trails I didn't even know existed. I cycled farther than I ever though it was possible for me to cycle.

In the past I might take my bike in a car and drive down to Lake Ontario and cycle along the lakeshore. This year I simply biked down to Lake Ontario and cycled along the lakeshore. I would never have thought of doing that in the past. I cycled distances and uphill climbs I had no desire to do before this year.

It's the first time in 10 years I didn't go to Europe for a week or two of casual tourist cycling. I won't lie. I missed that. Small problem compared to people who got sick or lost their jobs.

I also don't know how I top this next year. Is there any place around me I haven't discovered? I'm not prepared to do 4,000 km next year on a mountain bike again. Not sure I have the motivation to do it again but I'm proud I was able to set a personal best during such a s*** show of a year. That was my personal fitness adventure in 2020.
Old 12-29-2020, 05:41 PM   #123
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

Just get out and ride. I say this to people all the time and well, bhurst, you lived up to it. Wow! Impressive the distance you covered in 2020.

I've had a good December riding outdoors; really happy with my Mukluk and the cold-weather gear I purchased. We had a good amount of snow fall today, so will be getting out on the Mukluk tomorrow for my last ride of 2020.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
Old 12-29-2020, 07:01 PM   #124
Ride on Kentucky Kid

doubledeuceR6's Arena

OVR: 12

Damn nice work bhurst!

I second what DJ said "just get out and ride".

I need to follow that advice. I've found a ton of excuses not to ride this year especially after Hurricane Laura came through and wrecked my local trails. I absolutely despise riding on the road and while I can tolerate an occasional gravel ride I get bored with it fast. I just love being in the woods on the trail.
Twitter: @CQRDeuce @CQRclub
www.cqrclub.co.uk
Old 01-10-2021, 02:05 PM   #125
Banned

daflyboys's Arena

OVR: 27

Anyone have or tried one of these X-bikes for in home use and compact storage? Just wonder if they're worth the money.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-11-2021, 01:16 PM   #126
Twitch/YouTube: Fiddy14

Fiddy's Arena

OVR: 32

Week one in the books, 238 down to 232. Let's gooooooooo!!
http://www.youtube.com/@Fiddy14

Favorite Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
New York Mets
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Browns
Notre Dame Fightin Irish
Liverpool FC

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood »