Home

2020 Fitness Adventures

This is a discussion on 2020 Fitness Adventures within the OS Neighborhood forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-27-2020, 01:24 PM   #65
All Star

OVR: 13
Re: 2020 Fitness Adventures

If I had extra space I would definitely try to put some fitness equipment in there. I just don't have the room for a bunch of sets of dumbbells and other assorted fitness equipment, and also the place just isn't conducive to working out (e.g. wood floors, etc). I am managing the best I can but the motivation to work out in my own place is honestly a big impediment for me.

However, like a lot of you, I'm eating less, so that's good. You realize pretty quickly how much of a social aspect there is to eating, since being isolated, if I'm busy or otherwise not making time to eat, there's no one else swinging by and saying "hey, want to grab a bite?".
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-27-2020, 01:36 PM   #66
Strike Hard and Fade Away

Fresh Tendrils's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietasterp
If I had extra space I would definitely try to put some fitness equipment in there. I just don't have the room for a bunch of sets of dumbbells and other assorted fitness equipment, and also the place just isn't conducive to working out (e.g. wood floors, etc). I am managing the best I can but the motivation to work out in my own place is honestly a big impediment for me.

You literally just described my exact room. Hardwood floors. I put down 3 of these mats: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MEP0U2W...=operasport-20

They have done really well. I use a yoga mat if I'm doing anything on the floor (ie: ab workouts, stretches), but for the most part these mats are more than enough.

Power block dumbbells (https://www.amazon.com/Power-GF-SPDB...=operasport-20) save a ton of space. For my individual dumbbells I have a pyramid rack that they go on.

Basically - as long as you have enough room to actually work out you should be golden.

Old 03-27-2020, 01:43 PM   #67
All Star

Appreciate the tips. Also, calling me out on my laziness is good (!). That's what we're all here for.

I'm wondering how long deliveries will be now that shipping lanes are a bit clogged up (for "non-essential" goods)? I do have an area rug that could do in a pinch.
Old 03-27-2020, 01:49 PM   #68
Strike Hard and Fade Away

Fresh Tendrils's Arena

OVR: 51

Haha. Definitely did not mean to pressure you. Realize now I came across that way.

With my preference to work out alone I've always "made due" with where I was living. In my apartment my workout space doubled as my living room and occasionally my dining room. I actually had a weight bench in my second bedroom, but it was really too small to be practical or do any good. So I started doing the Insanity cardio.

Honestly you don't really need dumbbells starting off. I worked out for years with just Insanity DVDs and and that'll lean you up and tone you down in a hot minute.

Old 03-27-2020, 02:06 PM   #69
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Tendrils
Haha. Definitely did not mean to pressure you. Realize now I came across that way.
Not at all, and I didn't take it that way. At least, not in a mean-spirited way. You made a factual statement that you had a similar situation to the one I described and offered a solution that worked. Can't ask for much more than that.

I was making excuses is what it boiled down to, and deserved to be (politely) called out on that. Bravo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Tendrils
With my preference to work out alone I've always "made due" with where I was living. In my apartment my workout space doubled as my living room and occasionally my dining room. I actually had a weight bench in my second bedroom, but it was really too small to be practical or do any good. So I started doing the Insanity cardio.

Honestly you don't really need dumbbells starting off. I worked out for years with just Insanity DVDs and and that'll lean you up and tone you down in a hot minute.
I do like the idea of DVD's. I really need someone to focus my workouts and keep me to an intensity level, otherwise I spend too much time resting and milling about. Also, it helps to know that there is a definite time that I'll be done working out, so I can convince myself to start (e.g. it's only 45-minutes then you're done).

I've been using the P90X videos, they're pretty good although I still prefer to do them in a gym. But they are designed for home use and I've been doing it so far. I have definitely not stayed on the recommended schedule but I'm pretty sure no one really does. Anything is better than nothing.
Old 04-13-2020, 03:37 PM   #70
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

I've essentially been running every other day since the lockdown stuff, first I've ran in quite a long time (over a year). There is a cement trail connecting to my neighborhood that I've tracked to go 2.5 miles round-trip, and I've since make-shifted a 3-mile route.

There are fewer and fewer people out there these days with more and more masks, and any time I approach somebody they deviate a couple of feet onto the grass to make sure I'm not breathing on them. It makes me feel like a parasite, but then again I might actually be one, so who knows.

There was one time where I opted to run in the evening instead of the morning, and I had an instant cramp. I decided to run through it, and while it built my mental toughness, it gave me an abdominal strain and I couldn't run for a week afterward. Since then, I've been running a bit cautiously.

After Friday's run, my shins got extremely sore. I know this is often a complication of the surface one runs on, in which case a rubber track would be much better, but I'm committed to this trail for now. Anyway, I took the weekend off and just finished my 3-mile run a bit ago. Finished in 19:49.23, my first under 20 minutes in this calendar year.

I feel it's a bit of a blemish what I'm doing though, because that's only about a 6:36 mile time all told, and I'm one who just ran a 4:59 mile time eighteen months ago. I understand that a mile is less than that of three miles, but I'm not getting any two-lap times, straights and curves, riding on my stationary bike (fuse issues), or anything of that sort. I'm converting to simply cross-country running, and sadly I think this will decrease my 1-mile time in general.

Maybe in a month I'll use that 2.5-mile course and double it for 5-mile runs, and then I can chart shorter routes to build my 1-mile time again. I'd like to hit near the 5:00 mark again if possible. 31 years old going on 32, by the way.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 04-13-2020, 05:08 PM   #71
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I'm doing the Planet Fitness Work-in videos on FB, free to everyone.

About 20 minute workouts to get the heart rate going.

These workouts are better than the alternative in the colder climates that hasn't had a taste of spring, yet.
You Lost me at Planet Fitness
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-14-2020, 09:13 AM   #72
Hall Of Fame

AUChase's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by douevenbench
You Lost me at Planet Fitness
They aren't taking customer money right now and are just trying to help people out.

They aren't providing some revolutionary service, but they can be a good resource and a sense of direction. At a time like this any workout is a positive thing.

Last edited by AUChase; 04-14-2020 at 09:16 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood »