Home

CDC Officials Warn of Coronavirus Outbreaks in the United States.

This is a discussion on CDC Officials Warn of Coronavirus Outbreaks in the United States. within the OS Neighborhood forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 08-13-2020, 12:22 AM   #4177
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: CDC Officials Warn of Coronavirus Outbreaks in the United States.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Anyone else, most likely, would have done better job handling this. But what does that mean? What would have been acceptable? There was no admin that was going to totally prevent this.

Anyway it’s pure speculation, and anyone that trys to claim it as fact is foolish. There might be a world where someone else did - ‘gasp’- worse. We will never know.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
All you need to do is go back to the very first page in this thread and start reading through the pages and you will see how much was unknown with this virus. Even the experts were saying something new daily. Fauci didn't even support masks at the beginning and now people are clamoring for us to follow his every word. People were actually calling the China travel ban in February too harsh. People scoffed when March Madness was canceled. The fact is, nobody from the common person to the experts knew what to expect or how to exactly prepare for it and handle it.

Fast forward to now and people are saying that it was obvious how bad things were going to get, we should have been more prepared, etc.

You can definitely make an argument that things could have been handled better to slow the spread inside our borders, but people like to believe the answers were always clear from the start.

― Plato

Last edited by canes21; 08-13-2020 at 12:28 AM.
Old 08-13-2020, 12:25 AM   #4178
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
I think most who subscribe to facts and common sense would disagree that most administrations would have done just as poor of a job, but this isn't the forum for that debate.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
I'm glad when someone puts forth an argument like that, its always good to exactly where someone is coming from.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 08-13-2020, 12:48 AM   #4179
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
All you need to do is go back to the very first page in this thread and start reading through the pages and you will see how much was unknown with this virus. Even the experts were saying something new daily. Fauci didn't even support masks at the beginning and now people are clamoring for us to follow his every word. People were actually calling the China travel ban in February too harsh. People scoffed when March Madness was canceled. The fact is, nobody from the common person to the experts knew what to expect or how to exactly prepare for it and handle it.

Fast forward to now and people are saying that it was obvious how bad things were going to get, we should have been more prepared, etc.

You can definitely make an argument that things could have been handled better to slow the spread inside our borders, but people like to believe the answers were always clear from the start.
We were prepared. The preparation was ignored.
Old 08-13-2020, 12:50 AM   #4180
All Star

SmashMan's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Anyone else, most likely, would have done better job handling this. But what does that mean? What would have been acceptable? There was no admin that was going to totally prevent this.
I don't think anyone's really making this claim though, are they? If so, that's just delusional - once it was out there, it was coming over at some point.

As for doing a "better" job, I'd like to think any other admin would've treated it with some level of seriousness. Maybe using the prior administration's playbook as a basic starting point as opposed to (reportedly) discarding it. Maybe not saying it would disappear, "like a miracle" or openly speculating that it would simply "fade away", perhaps in warm weather. Maybe not saying that 99% of cases are "totally harmless". Maybe not wanting to keep people on a cruise ship simply to limit the number of reported cases at that time. Maybe invoking the Defense Production Act sooner, to help states get equipment instead of having to bid against each other for supplies they needed early on. Not openly wondering about the internal benefits of disinfectant, etc.

Some of these are actual things that could've been done to help fight the spread, and some are admittedly just words, but ones that if they were different could've inspired confidence in our handling of the virus.

There were and are a lot of unknowns about this thing, and missteps are and were going to happen as things evolve and we learn more. I personally don't have a problem with honest mistakes that are made based on information available at the time they're made, but a lot of what we've done wrong aren't that.
Old 08-13-2020, 12:54 AM   #4181
Farewell and 'ado

DocHolliday's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
We were prepared. The preparation was ignored.

Mastevo you have obviously taken a hard line on this. I personally don’t remember anyone one in the world being prepared and it being a total clown show.

Old 08-13-2020, 01:21 AM   #4182
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Mastevo you have obviously taken a hard line on this. I personally don’t remember anyone one in the world being prepared and it being a total clown show.

It's not even a political position or a hard line to take, there was literally a playbook for handling a pandemic for this type of situation and it was ignored.

You can read it right here: https://assets.documentcloud.org/doc...c-Playbook.pdf
Old 08-13-2020, 08:10 AM   #4183
Hall Of Fame

NYJets's Arena

OVR: 26

https://news.yahoo.com/florida-sheri...171423458.html

It’s unbelievable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-13-2020, 08:19 AM   #4184
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJets
https://news.yahoo.com/florida-sheri...171423458.html

It’s unbelievable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And the sad thing is that the likelihood that anything is done to reverse this action are slim and none.

And I be interested in seeing all the health officials he spoke with that said that wearing a mask will not help slow the spread of the virus.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood »