Home

Work From Home (WFH) Thread

This is a discussion on Work From Home (WFH) Thread within the OS Neighborhood forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-17-2022, 07:09 PM   #49
All Star

OVR: 13
Re: Work From Home (WFH) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger
One thing that concerns me about the increase in fully remote jobs...if there start to be lots of positions where the company truly doesn't care where you are in the world, the number of applications is going to go up tremendously. Of course that will be offset by the fact that there are that many more jobs to apply to, but are we going to go from applying to 10 local jobs we have a 10% chance at getting to applying to 100 remote jobs we have a 1% chance of getting?

I don't work in a fully remote field so it probably won't be an issue for me, but it could be an issue for some.
I made this point exactly some time ago. Gotta be a bit careful about convincing corporations that jobs can be remote and done anywhere in the world, because at some point, they will agree.

At which point, they will start to ask why 'anywhere' couldn't just as easily be 'Bangalore' as it could be 'Colorado'....
Old 03-17-2022, 07:40 PM   #50
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

OVR: 22

That’s a great point. I’m an engineer that has always worked in a manufacturing facility. To that end, there’s always some level of needing to be in the plant. But, on the flip side there are a lot of things we can do remotely. Certainly an interesting thing to consider.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 03-21-2022, 11:46 AM   #51
All Star

SuperBowlNachos's Arena

OVR: 21

Eh, I'm not too worried about that. I think most jobs that a company are fine being done outsourced are already out there or it's obvious they are going that way. Anything involving clients, sales, elevated security, HIPAA, etc are not going to be sourced to overseas.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-21-2022, 09:14 PM   #52

Majingir's Arena

Hybrid is probably the best option then.

If you can't physically be there at least 1 day a week, you shouldn't be allowed working there. Then again, how do you (government) enforce that either?

I don't have a work from home type of job sadly, as much as that kind of thing does appeal to me. But out of nowhere I was talking to some other manager about doing some work for them and they randomly mentioned maybe me getting to do something for a day or two from home. Not something I was expecting, but now just having that WFH possibility in my head, even if it might be temporary or on a trial basis is making me excited for that.

Waking up an hour late, having almost an hour extra time once I'm done for the day, and probably saving at least several dollars in a day just on commute alone. As long as the actual work I'd have to do is decent, I could get used to that.
Old 03-21-2022, 11:47 PM   #53
Hall Of Fame

LowerWolf's Arena

OVR: 19

Why shouldn't I be allowed to work somewhere if I can't physically be in the office one day a week?
Old 03-22-2022, 01:56 AM   #54
Hall Of Fame

Master Live 013's Arena

OVR: 0

Yeah, that seems arbitrary.
Old 03-22-2022, 07:41 AM   #55
Prince of Plakata

Jolly Roger's Arena

OVR: 0

It's just that having to apply to 15 jobs with 300 applicants each will be more tedious than applying to 5 local jobs with 20 applicants each. The location as a gatekeeper has its uses.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-22-2022, 07:56 AM   #56

Majingir's Arena

I meant it more in a sense to be able to restrict companies from hiring most if not all employees from other locations/countries, which makes it more of a challenge to getting a job for anyone living locally.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood »