Home

2022 Fitness Adventure

This is a discussion on 2022 Fitness Adventure within the OS Neighborhood forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-02-2022, 11:58 AM   #49
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35
Re: 2022 Fitness Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
Does the phone have to be nearby to sync?

I'm wondering because if I run on the track with a Galaxy Fit or Galaxy Watch and wanted to listen to music, I wouldn't want the phone on me at the same time.

I'm guessing it's probably a Bluetooth connection so it likely has to be close.

I’m not sure but maybe the GPS/Cellular version can do that. Honestly, when I used to run I’d still rock my iPod shuffle. It was the lightest way for me to listen to audio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-02-2022, 07:06 PM   #50
All Star

JohnnytheSkin's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Live 013
Question: Does anyone here use a Fitbit or similar device (Apple Watch etc.) in their workouts? Does it help? Is it useful? I don't want to spend $100's on something I would barely use and then feel silly.
I have a Fossil Wear OS smartwatch and an Oura ring. Watch is nice for GPS tracking on walks and steps, but mostly it's for text and email viewing on the sly. The Oura ring is really nifty as the sleep and heart rate tracking is really good. It also has some rudimentary workout tracking that sucks.

Most of my tracking is manual via Google Fit which everything connects to, and the Lose It app (for nutrition and food tracking). If I had to choose a device it would be the Oura.

Oh, sorry...I got distracted by the internet. - Scott Pilgrim
Old 05-04-2022, 10:14 AM   #51
All Star

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Live 013
Question: Does anyone here use a Fitbit or similar device (Apple Watch etc.) in their workouts? Does it help? Is it useful? I don't want to spend $100's on something I would barely use and then feel silly.
Started wearing a galaxy watch active a few years ago, and then got the new one last year. I definitely think that it has encouraged me to walk more because I will see my step counter and realize I need to get moving. But I've never found the heart rate monitor to be particularly accurate during workouts like running.

Also got a Polar heart rate monitor 2 years ago (chest strap). Mainly just use it when I do bike rides on zwift, but being able to see my heart rate helps me maintain a consistent pace. I use it for running too sometimes for basically the same reason, but it is a little harder to check.

Neither device is necessary but I do like them and find that they force me to think about controlling my breathing during cardio.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-07-2022, 11:13 AM   #52
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Last Friday I set out to run another 10k, but stopped short at 5 miles. My excuse was that I was running too closely to the start of classes in the morning, but I was just dang exhausted as well. My time even then was subpar compared to what I'd usually get going into the 10k. I think I finished at 31:03.

This week went as follows:

Monday (5 km) - 17:56
Tuesday (2 mi) - 10:57
Wednesday (5 km) - 17:57
Thursday (2 mi) - 10:58
Friday (5 km) - 17:58

Notice a pattern? lol

These are record two-mile times for me. Granted, I've only run five of them in my lifetime: once in high school (11:00), twice two weeks ago (11:09 each time), and these two.

I'd say my goal is to try and stay under 18:00 for the 5k each time out now. I can't guarantee the same for the 2 mile, and I may shift to try some HIIT runs in its place. I only have about three one-mile runs left in me before the school year ends, and I'd like to see if I can break my personal 4:50 best by then. Switching things up may do that. I think for my final mile though, I'm going to follow what some articles recommend regarding preparation for that week. Normally I'm coming off two intense runs the two days before it, so that time I'll incorporate some good rest within.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 05-07-2022, 05:22 PM   #53
All Star

Bard's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bard
Been on a great journey since January.

Started 315lbs and down to 284lbs.

Used to sit around 185-200lbs and really want to be at least 220lbs again!

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
Had a ROUGH April after saying this, lol. Steered off and went back up to 290lbs as of May 1st.

May 1st I decided I needed to do something that was different and not the gym...I started to do DDP Yoga.

From May 1st to May 7th (this morning), I am officially back down to now 280lbs. Feels good! In this week I cleaned back up my eating habits and had some excellent workouts.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
Old 05-13-2022, 09:22 AM   #54
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Well... ****.

I only was able to run Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday this week. On Monday I tweaked my back while baserunning in a softball practice for the team that I coach. I don't know how, but I did. I exacerbated it in Tuesday's run when I sprinted the straights. It was so bad that I postponed my Wednesday mile run and schedule a chiropractor appointment. I got an adjustment, but man the guy had me for forty seconds and I paid $55. He barely even acknowledged where I stated the pain was located. I'd say that it helped a little as did rest, because yesterday I was able to run my mile (4:58).

Well, this morning I was set out to do a 10k run. I felt ready, rested, and didn't think of my back pain. Two laps in I was on a great pace... and then I started to feel it flare up. I didn't even get to the third lap before every step started causing immense sharp pain up the mid-right side of my back, and I halted then and there. I decided to walk it out for a full mile, and even walking was a bit of a struggle. I'm typing this just ten minutes later and have to remain upright and stiff.

I'm going to blow another $55 on an adjustment today and ice this entire weekend, but damn I really do not need these setbacks right now. I feel like I'm going to be decreasing my load and my motivation to keep going. Injuries are always the biggest setbacks I can endure when it comes to having a training/fitness regimen, and I can easily find myself falling out of favor from this. I don't think I can even reward myself this weekend with a bunch of pizza and ice cream and such. On top of all that, I can't guarantee I'd be healthy Monday to just run another 5k again, and even if I am maybe it'll carry over into a poor injury-riddled Tuesday like I am today after yesterday's seemingly fine mile.

This blows.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 05-16-2022, 12:34 AM   #55
All Star

bhurst99's Arena

OVR: 27

Did a 116-km bike ride on Saturday.

Now I'm in pain. Not from the ride but because I forgot to wear suntan lotion. My face and the back of my legs look like a lobster.

I feel like this happens every year when the warm weather hits. You would think I would learn. Maybe it's a Canadian thing. You're stuck inside for so long and the weather is so cold through April you just forget.

I'm trying to train for some cycling I'm doing in England and Scotland in June. I'm starting with a UK Coast-to-Coast tour which is about 380 miles long over nine days. Should be a good challenge. I hope there is a some great scenery and some good pubs.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-20-2022, 08:31 AM   #56
2022 Clark Cup Champions!

Instant C1a55ic's Arena

OVR: 20

I need to get back on track...

2016 something clicked in my head. I saw a friend post a image of his weight on his home scale, and it hit me hard. He was a heavy guy at a point in his life, and he turned it around. It just made sense to me to try and do it myself, and off I went. Started May 7th 2016, and by August 27th 2016, I had lost 50 pounds. I went from 310 to 260. My goal was to take 2 weeks off, then go another 20 pounds to 240.

I was so proud of myself, it was an obsession that I felt good about.

That 2 week break turned into a 6 year break. Went through some rough stuff, and Im back up to 309 as of yesterday. No sob story here, I did it to myself. I live a very busy life with 5 kids, so often fast food is the only food.

No excuses though, I just need to get back on my personal diet, start walking and doing my DDP yoga. Hope everyone has a successful summer of weight loss!!!
MLB - Toronto Blue Jays 56-45
NHL - Colorado Avalanche 2022 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS
United States Hockey League - Sioux City Musketeers
2022 Clark Cup Champions

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood »