Home

Official MLB Power Pros 2008 thread!

This is a discussion on Official MLB Power Pros 2008 thread! within the Other Baseball Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-30-2008, 12:46 AM   #177
Pro

OVR: 4
Re: Official MLB Power Pros 2008 thread!

What does the box for "LOCK" in the Lineup portion of setting lineups in arrange mode do?

thanks in advance.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:55 AM   #178
Pro

Drag66's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewk
The rosters are a bit out of date. C.C. is still on the Indians.

Anyone else have the PS2 version? I had 2007 on the Wii, and on the PS2 the analog seems a bit jerky. Maybe it's my controller, but I wanted to ask if anyone else is having trouble with no-so-analog analog control.

The pitching does seem different, for the better. I am seeing more balls than last year. The expert pitching mode does make pitching more difficult too.
I think the analog control is tighter on the Wii with the classic controller. It does seem that control on the PS2 is a bit jerkier or more sensitive compared to the Wii.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:14 AM   #179
MVP

duke776's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31
Okay so I remembered two things while playing my first season game; Fielding is atrocious and baserunning is as well.

I also remembered about the settings I was wondering about. What exactly does Lock-On 1-5 mean for Sweetspot Cursors for CPU and Human? My first season game, I had CPU batting and pitching @ Expert and CPU Sweetspot Cursor @ Lock-On 2. My setup was sweetspot Lock-On 1.

I proceeded to have a hit-fest with lots of runs, 15-5 was the Final and I lost.
Batting with Lock on is easy, you will eventually start scoring a ton of runs like you did in that game. It means that the batting cursor will actually lock on to the ball if you are close to it, 5 is the highest and easiest and 1 is the lowest and hardest of lock on. But, I suggest you turn that setting to normal, it won't lock on to the ball or anything and will be challenging.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:00 AM   #180
Pro

OVR: 4

The rosters were probably accurate from sometime after April 12 and before May 27.

Longoria played in his first game April 12, and he is on the game, and Bruce played in his first game May 27 and is not in the game.

So if it's going by when the actually played, around then is probably how accruate the rosters are, but who knows what they went with.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:09 AM   #181
Rookie

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke776
Batting with Lock on is easy, you will eventually start scoring a ton of runs like you did in that game. It means that the batting cursor will actually lock on to the ball if you are close to it, 5 is the highest and easiest and 1 is the lowest and hardest of lock on. But, I suggest you turn that setting to normal, it won't lock on to the ball or anything and will be challenging.
There should also be an option to choose between analog and digital hitting. If you still find batting too easy with no lockon, try switching from analog to digital. You may actually find that there's a sweet spot for you using digitial and a tiny bit of lockon, you'll need to experiment and figure what feels just right while giving sufficient challenge.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-30-2008, 10:27 AM   #182
Pro

My issues with normal hitting are:

1) It's extremely difficult to get enough hits other than maybe a few weak seeing eye singles.

2) HRs are pretty much non-existent. I went into batting practice mode with David Wright and could not get a HR on normal batting. I was hitting them over 300 feet, but none of them went out which would basically translate to not hitting any user HRs in a regular game.

On the flipside, hitting with the batting locks can become quite easy. I'm trying lock - 1 for now and we'll see how that goes. If that becomes too easy I'm not sure what else I can try to make it more challenging and still see my fair share of HRs.

Trade your old or unwanted games/movies...Ask me how it works!

Kane182's MLB2K10 custom Soundtracks
Old 07-30-2008, 10:33 AM   #183
Pro

For anyone interestred, I've begun my project of creating a set of all-time rosters for Power Pros 2008 on the PS2. Since you can have multiple saves using memory cards, I can still keep these rosters AND current ones.

I'm dragging out my alltimers rosters from the High Heat 2002 PC days to give me a start. I already had career averages in there for stats, as well as lineups and uniform numbers. This will make my job a lot easier.

I've also started coming up with a method to figure out the PP ratings based on the players MLB stats. Here is what I have so far:

Trajectory (1-4) – Based on Home Runs per 600 AB
4 – 31 and up
3 – 18 to 30
2 – 11 to 17
1 – 10 and lower

Contact (range 1-15) – Based on BA
15 – not used
14 - .320 and up
13 - .310 to .320
12 - .300 to .309
11 - .290
10 - .282
09 - .275
08 - .267
07 - .260
06 - .252
05 - .245
04 - .240 and lower

Power (range 1-255) – Based on Slugging Pct.
Slugging Pct. / 3.5 = Power This will yield ratings between 210 and 80

Run Speed (range 1-15) – Based on Run Rating
15 – not used
14 – 10
13 - 9
12 - 8
11 –7
10 - 6
09 - 5
08 - 4
07 - 3
06 - 2
05 – 0 - 1

If anyone has any suggestions on how to make these more accurate, let me know. I'm sure this is going to take a while to complete, but I think it will be worth it.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:36 AM   #184
MVP

duke776's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane182
My issues with normal hitting are:

1) It's extremely difficult to get enough hits other than maybe a few weak seeing eye singles.

2) HRs are pretty much non-existent. I went into batting practice mode with David Wright and could not get a HR on normal batting. I was hitting them over 300 feet, but none of them went out which would basically translate to not hitting any user HRs in a regular game.

On the flipside, hitting with the batting locks can become quite easy. I'm trying lock - 1 for now and we'll see how that goes. If that becomes too easy I'm not sure what else I can try to make it more challenging and still see my fair share of HRs.
What difficulty are you playing on? I remember when I started a season last year with normal batting and playing on expert it was hard at first but then I just absolutely dominated, I went 85-15 with Aramis Ramirez hitting 60 homeruns before simming the rest of the season. I think you'll get better as you go, I'll probably start on all star with normal(the batting setting not the difficulty setting) hitting and move up to Powerful difficulty if it gets too easy.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games »