Home

MLB Power Pros 2008 - MLB Life thread

This is a discussion on MLB Power Pros 2008 - MLB Life thread within the Other Baseball Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-01-2008, 08:42 PM   #17
Pro

TeixeiraFanatic's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: MLB Power Pros 2008 - MLB Life thread

I'm now engaged to Emma. The wedding is in January.
The game is so cool, i just got traded to the Cubs.
NCAA: Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets
Old 08-01-2008, 09:20 PM   #18
Banned

bulls23's Arena

OVR: 20

I got canned in AAA Success mode. I started up Life mode with Anthony Reyes. Started 5 games and struck out 10 with 0 ER (you only pitch 3 innings each start). Gave up a 2 run HR in my last start to Jason Bay of the Pirates and had to start season in AAA
Old 08-01-2008, 09:23 PM   #19
Pro

TeixeiraFanatic's Arena

I haven't really tried a pitcher but i did once and the cards wouldn't put me in a game, i was just mad so i quit but i might do one later.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:49 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 6

I finally succeeded in getting my hard throwing lefty through success mode to the Majors - even made the MLB roster on opening day!

A couple changes: I only have 3 pitches: 4-seamer, drop curve, and a hard shuuto (couldn't resist). And I really only focused on the first two: DC rated 4, HS rated 2. Final ratings were B Stamina, C control, and 93 top speed.

Not sure what I did right, exactly, but being nice to Marvin might have helped. He went Santa Claus on me at one point, throwing like 7 items my way, which I was able to sell for some nice equipment.

Oh, and the drop curve is a filthy pitch. I averaged 2 Ks per inning with that thing during spring training. Next up: MLB Life Mode
Old 08-02-2008, 10:47 AM   #21
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeixeiraFanatic
Yeah just finished my second year and it made me resign with them again. We finished in last place by 13 games.
Marlins beat the Angels in the 09 WS.

Yeah you can't get any points which kinda sucks.
It's making you resign because that's the rules.

You are the property of the team for 6 years.
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-02-2008, 10:51 AM   #22
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46

I'm doing a My Life with Chipper Jones. I wanted to start it off right away and see how it handled players that are already in position to perform. I also wanted to chase some records quickly (reached 1300 RBI early in the season) and retire quickly so I can test the mode out.

It's interesting. Most of the dialogue still refers to you as a rookie. Though, they don't ever say it. It's just things like, "C. Jones, I'm really looking forward to seeing what you can do out there." And of course, you're thinking, "I'm freaking Chipper Jones. You already know."

But, the game stayed true to that. I started every game in Spring Training. Hit cleanup as well and played the entire games. Then started hitting third to open the season.

So, it looks like My Life does do a good job of letting you jump into the shoes of a real life player that has established a history.

The paycheck is also nice and lets me buy almost anything I want.

Once I finish up with him, or sometime in between his career, I'll get into starting up with a nobody and enjoying that experience.
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Old 08-02-2008, 12:32 PM   #23
MVP

jct32's Arena

OVR: 17

I went through success mode with my pitcher, who is the next Tim Wakefield, except I relieve. I got my Knuckleball maxed out and I have a splitter, which I don't use, a slow curve, like Wakefield and its a 2!, and a Fastball that tops out a about 80 on a good day.

It's been really fun, I dominated spring training and I have started the season. I have 3 or 4 apperances in about 14 games, but I have 1 win and about 7 K's and no runs.

Keep in mind I try to keep it realistic with the knuckle. Wakefield throws majority knuckle unless he falls way behind in the count and he might throw a fastball. I usually throw knuckles until I get 2 strikes, then I throw a knuckle off the plate, if that doesn't work I then come back with the high heat or my slow curve, which works really well too.

All in all I'm having a blast in this mode and I am friends with Matt Holliday, My favorite Oklahoman in the Major Leagues right now.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:06 PM   #24
Pro

TeixeiraFanatic's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeePride
It's making you resign because that's the rules.

You are the property of the team for 6 years.
Yeah i forgot about that, it makes sense since i was allowed to be a free agent after my sixth year. Thanks, i totally forgot about that.
The free agent thing is pretty cool. Your agent will gather offers from other teams through a two week period. If you don't sign a contract in the first week it's not always going to give you another one in the next.
The first week i got three offers: 5 yr deal with the Blue Jays ( finished in last place) My former team the Cubs ( finished in fourth)
And the Reds ( finished in last place)
I took the risk and didn't sign with anyone the first week then the next week came and i only got one offer from the Cubs so i sign with them, now i got to play five more years with them.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games »