Home

Your Top 5 Baseball Games of all time

This is a discussion on Your Top 5 Baseball Games of all time within the Other Baseball Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-22-2009, 03:33 PM   #57
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37
Re: Your Top 5 Baseball Games of all time

I'm actually thinking about picking up the latest MLB Power Pro's game.
It sounds like it's a great baseball game.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:23 AM   #58
MVP

metal134's Arena

OVR: 10

The only baseball games that were able to hold my attention are MLB 09' and High Heat 2002/2004. Other games were breifly interesting to me; MVP 05, All Star Baseball series, etc., but without realistic stats, I got bored with them very quickly.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:47 AM   #59
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

1. Earl Weaver Baseball- IMO this 23 year old game is still superior to the modern games in terms of the effectiveness of ratings, and the CPU in-game A.I.

2. High Heat-The number and effectiveness of the sliders, allowing the User to create a great simulation game, makes this the best series ever. I'll admit that its only nostalgia that keeps it out of the top spot.

3. Tony LaRussa Baseball- The follow up to Earl Weaver Baseball. It was a great game, but something was missing, keeping it from surpassing its predecessor.

4. World Series Baseball - The first console only game on the list. Developer BlueSky Software was getting it done with this title. Too bad parent company Interplay went belly up, causing the demise of a great title.

5. Front Page Sports Baseball Pro- Another series with great potential killed off too soon by financial troubles by the Publisher.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 12-27-2009, 01:29 AM   #60
*p*r*t**n Sp*rts J*nk**

snaz16's Arena

OVR: 5

1) The Show 09
2) MVP 05 (modded w/the great stadiums,uni's,rosters,and seasons)
3) High Heat (pc) remember the ability to shift your pitcher to either side of the rubber,and actually effect where your pitches went. Take note Sony.)
4) Tony LaRussa/Old Tyme Baseball (pc)..Actually 2 different games,but you were able to import stadiums from 1 game to the other,thereby being able to play home games in a series in different ballparks. Old Tyme also gave you the choice of 3 different announcers for a game...need help here, I'm thinking Jon Miller,Lon Simmons,and..??. They had a database for just about any team in baseball if I remember correctly. Jfsolo, I think the biggest thing missing was the lack of a MLB license. They had the players license,and the stadiums correct,but no uniforms,just generic colors. I might be wrong on this though.
5) MLB 2k7 (Xbox 360) The 1st game that was 1080p/1900x1200 on your hd tv/high end monitor that really brought out the graphics slut in all of us..lol,..and not a bad a game after that 1st patch. I had high hopes for this series. Maybe 2k10 can surprise us.
Honorable mention: With all due respect to the other consoles, I was a pc guy until the xbox/ps2 consoles came out, so as far as I was concerned the depth/graphics of games on the various consoles did not match the pc's ability,so I may have missed some decent games. With that said.....
The Hardball series was decent as well as the Front Page, got some play as I remember.
But for the pc contingent between 98-01 if I remember correctly, the Triple Play games absolutely sucked,so I got a lot of playing time in with a "Baseball for Windows" game "Ernie Harwell Broadcast Blast". A simple management game with the great Ernie Harwell announcing the outcome of your choices. Not a whole lot of depth,but got me thru those lean times. Perhaps OOTP or Baseball Mogul should look into this,instead of reading a text of the playback...might take these games a little farther?
I can't help but think as I type this,the irony(sorry to stray off topic) that the exclusive licenses of 2k and EA for football and baseball have robbed us of some tremendous titles,as EA was onto something great w/the MVP games,and 2k with NFL 2k5. Makes you wonder where these games could be with a little competition. Sorry for the little rant gents,but thanks for letting this 55 yr old guy reminice...Good gaming fellows...and Happy New Year!
Old 12-27-2009, 03:24 AM   #61
MVP

mattlanta's Arena

OVR: 21

I probably haven't played as many baseball games as many of you have, but I'd like to think that I played a fair share of good and bad baseball games. So here's my list:
  1. MVP Baseball 05 (Xbox) - Bought this game in 2006, and I remember playing it all the way to 2007. I'd still be playing this game today if I didn't have the more updated game of MLB: The Show.
  2. Backyard Baseball (PC) - Who doesn't remember these games? This is one of the best games I've ever played, and as a kid, I was really into it. I didn't know much about the majors yet, but in this world of baseball, the likes of Pablo Sanchez, Pete Wheeler, and Achmed Khan were kings. The original one was the best, but the first version that included real-life major league players was also fun.
  3. MLB 99 (PS1) - This is the first game my brothers got for their new PS1. I was only 4 or 5 or so, and I remember them constantly playing it. We were playing it well past the '98-'99 season. I didn't even know anything about baseball (moved from the Philippines to the Bronx) before I got this game, and I still loved it.
  4. MLB 09: The Show (PS3) - Really the greatest sports franchise and game out there right now. They've made great strides every year, and they always look to make improvements. The game released last year had me hooked, and thanks to Knight and his roster crew, I've dedicated many hours playing this game.
  5. Out of the Park Baseball 10 (PC) - I wasn't supposed to buy this game until my mom pissed me off one time, and I took her credit card and bought this game online... just because I was a little bit on the 'very pissed' side and wanted to do something during the summer. (I would eventually pay her back the $40 that it cast me by the way, just in case some of you guys were about to pull the "You're a spoiled one!" switch on me.) "OOTPX" as most fans refer to it, is a text simulator that is really the most diverse and most realistic baseball game out right now. It's a perfect game for the baseball fans that really get into the statistics of players. You can play with real players (surprisingly realistic ratings for each player and prospect) or play with fictional players in totally fictional, customizable leagues. You can even play all sorts of historical leagues even the Negro Leagues, with the help of mods.

Last edited by mattlanta; 12-27-2009 at 03:31 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-27-2009, 11:00 AM   #62
MVP

Hammerhunker's Arena

OVR: 22

MLB The Show 09 PS3
MLB The Show 08 PS3
MLB The Show 07 PS2
MLB The Show 06 PS2
High Heat 2002 PC

HM
Tony LaRussa 95
Earl Weaver
Interplay Baseball 2000
Microleague
Mattel Classic Baseball
Old 01-23-2010, 10:26 AM   #63
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

No particular Order

1: Earl Weaver Baseball

2. High Heat-pc mod

3. FPS:BBPro

4. MLB The Show 09

5. RBI Baseball

HM:
Tony Larussa
Ken Griffey BB
Baseball Stars
All Star Baseball
Hardball
MLB Power Pro's

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS

Last edited by Skyboxer; 02-02-2010 at 05:53 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:47 PM   #64
Rookie

OVR: 10

MLB 09 The Show
MVP 2005
Bases Loaded
MLB 2k7
MLB 2k8

DR Russell

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games »