Home

Help: What baseball game should I get?

This is a discussion on Help: What baseball game should I get? within the Other Baseball Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-17-2015, 09:18 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Help: What baseball game should I get?

Hiya everyone,

so... I'm a young Brit who quite likes his American sports including baseball, but unfortunately I don't really understand all of it. Shocking revelation, I know

Now just for a laugh I've been thinking about getting myself a Baseball game for the PS4 after remembering how much fun I had with one of the early MLB 2K games.
A few months ago however I bought myself the new Madden game after not playing that for a while either and was completely overwhelmed by the tactical aspect of the game. I just wanted to throw the ball round a bit, tackle a few players and I'd have been happy.

So what I really wanted to ask is what Baseball game should I get if I don't really understand to much about baseball. I mean I now the basics, 9 Innings, three strikes you're out, stealing bases, what RBI actually stands for... that kind of stuff... But I wouldn't, for instance, be able to tell you when to sub the pitcher or when to opt for a pinch runner...

So what game would you advise me to go for if I'm basically just looking for a bit of fun?

Sorry in advance for wasting the courts time!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-17-2015, 06:00 PM   #2
Banned

Re: Help: What baseball game should I get?

Hello fellow Brit
Ahh MLB on Channel 5. The good old days of staying up until 4am Monday just to get a weekly fix of the wonderful game. Happy days...
So, I jumped on board with MLB 15 The Show and have been having a lot of fun. Maybe too much fun, if that's possible.
You can pretty much play it according to you needs. Eg, you can control a whole season as a manager - that's all 162 regular season games - playing as both pitcher and hitters, mind you each game can take about an hour unless you use quick counts (which means you come in part way through an at bat - think of it like coming in half way through an over in cricket).
Or you create your own player and take a lesser role - you won't play every game and you can even skip fielding duties if you wish (I hate fielding - it terrifies me, lol).
There are other less 'serious' games out there (Super mega baseball springs to mind) but I don't know anything about them.
Given that MLBTS is £37 ish on PSN, it's damn good value for money if you end up falling for it.
I don't know all the rules and strategies either but I don't think it's stopping my enjoyment at all.
Basically you sub the pitcher if he's throwing garbage or he's just plain knackered (usually about the 8th inning or 100ish pitches - I think).
I'm not too sure about pinch hitting - someone more knowledgeable will chime in.

Madden can be overwhelming. I just started a franchise and I simply go with whatever play is suggested. It seems to work on the easiest difficulty
Anyway, I hope there's something positive for you in this post.
Old 04-17-2015, 06:32 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 18

You two guys need to stick to footie.
Old 04-19-2015, 01:35 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadAngryGamer
Hello fellow Brit
Ahh MLB on Channel 5. The good old days of staying up until 4am Monday just to get a weekly fix of the wonderful game. Happy days...
So, I jumped on board with MLB 15 The Show and have been having a lot of fun. Maybe too much fun, if that's possible.
You can pretty much play it according to you needs. Eg, you can control a whole season as a manager - that's all 162 regular season games - playing as both pitcher and hitters, mind you each game can take about an hour unless you use quick counts (which means you come in part way through an at bat - think of it like coming in half way through an over in cricket).
Or you create your own player and take a lesser role - you won't play every game and you can even skip fielding duties if you wish (I hate fielding - it terrifies me, lol).
There are other less 'serious' games out there (Super mega baseball springs to mind) but I don't know anything about them.
Given that MLBTS is £37 ish on PSN, it's damn good value for money if you end up falling for it.
I don't know all the rules and strategies either but I don't think it's stopping my enjoyment at all.
Basically you sub the pitcher if he's throwing garbage or he's just plain knackered (usually about the 8th inning or 100ish pitches - I think).
I'm not too sure about pinch hitting - someone more knowledgeable will chime in.

Madden can be overwhelming. I just started a franchise and I simply go with whatever play is suggested. It seems to work on the easiest difficulty
Anyway, I hope there's something positive for you in this post.
Cheers for that, I'm actually gonna go for MLB:TS after that recommendation... Thanks alot :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhslancers
You two guys need to stick to footie.
I'm writing this after a toothless Liverpool performance saw them missing out on the FA Cup Final... I'm fed up of footie for this season ...
Old 04-20-2015, 03:30 AM   #5
Rookie

Shadak's Arena

OVR: 2

Im a Euro who has been enjoying the typical US sports for some time, not too keen on Madden as I prefer ESPN 2k5. As for baseball games - The Show is good and looks great but to me now is more of a stats game. This all changed after playing the japanese PYS, now I dont understand japanese but there are sites with translations and you get used to the characters quite quickly.

If you dont mind doing all this, Pro Yakyuu Spirits are amazing games, the game play is night and day compared to The Show (IMO anyway). When at bat, you actually get a bat outline for aiming the swing, etc. The atmosphere of the actual game is also totally different.

Just me 2c and something to think about
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-20-2015, 05:20 AM   #6
Banned

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by scouse_punk
Cheers for that, I'm actually gonna go for MLB:TS after that recommendation... Thanks alot :-)

I'm writing this after a toothless Liverpool performance saw them missing out on the FA Cup Final... I'm fed up of footie for this season ...
I watched the second half of that game. They were awful.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:37 AM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by scouse_punk
Hiya everyone,

so... I'm a young Brit who quite likes his American sports including baseball, but unfortunately I don't really understand all of it. Shocking revelation, I know

Now just for a laugh I've been thinking about getting myself a Baseball game for the PS4 after remembering how much fun I had with one of the early MLB 2K games.
A few months ago however I bought myself the new Madden game after not playing that for a while either and was completely overwhelmed by the tactical aspect of the game. I just wanted to throw the ball round a bit, tackle a few players and I'd have been happy.

So what I really wanted to ask is what Baseball game should I get if I don't really understand to much about baseball. I mean I now the basics, 9 Innings, three strikes you're out, stealing bases, what RBI actually stands for... that kind of stuff... But I wouldn't, for instance, be able to tell you when to sub the pitcher or when to opt for a pinch runner...

So what game would you advise me to go for if I'm basically just looking for a bit of fun?

Sorry in advance for wasting the courts time!
MLB The Show is definitely THE best baseball game on the market, maybe the best sports game, but is also very involved, probably more so than Madden. You probably want to check out Super Mega Baseball and RBI 15.
Despite the negative reviews for RBI here on this site I think it's very solid. It's an 'arcade' baseball experience, meaning the controls are very simple (really just two buttons) and it's very easy to just pick up and play. A full nine inning game only takes about 15-20 minutes to play. It also features full rosters of MLB players, authentic stadiums and you can play full 162-game seasons with full stat tracking
Super Mega Baseball is a blast and also very easy to play. It does not feature actual MLB players and the players and stadiums are very cartoony. But it's a great game nonetheless and has stat tracking and even RPG elements (you unlock modifiers for your players to upgrade their abilities).
Both games are also on $20 U.S.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:49 AM   #8
Rookie

I really wanted to ask is what Baseball game should I get if I don't really understand to much about baseball.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games »