Home

baseball sims

This is a discussion on baseball sims within the Other Baseball Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-02-2018, 01:01 PM   #25
MVP

OVR: 16
Re: baseball sims

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaz16
OOTP is more a management sim with more focus on the management side rather than a season replay which the bulk of the games mentioned here. Kinda comparing apples and oranges to a degree. There is quite a selection of computer season replay sims representing "Board & Dice games including the aforementioned Replay , Stratomatic , APBA GO , Action Pc , Skeetersoft (Apba like game) etc. Understand these are season replays and not progression franchise type nor are they stick jockey games. OOTP is more of this type of progression type, whereas the others represent accurate statistical simulations that represent the Board & Dice games. There is quite a renaissance of Board and Dice games going on that have quite a following of the older generation 40 yr to probably 70,80 yr. olds. I enjoy Replay , Strat, and Dynasty Baseball which is a computer version of the old Pursue the Pennant game. Just a note there are several of these types for football and basketball also,and even a few hockey sims. Here are a couple of links for those interested as there are literally probably close to 40 baseball board and dice games going and perhaps 8 to 10 computer versions of these board game types. Some with demos and others not,and as previously mentioned , Youtube videos of several of these games in action with a little searching can give you an idea of how they play. These were our computer games as kids growing up in the 60's and 70's.
http://sportsreplays.net/baseball.htm
http://www.delphiforums.com/dp-games/index.ptt
Doesn't hurt try something new even if its old , might fall into something you like. MLB The Show is direct product of these renderings of yesteryear. Enjoy gents.

Definitely a good point and something I usually forget to think about. I remember playing those games in the 80's (Lance Haffner football when it was on a 5.25 disk!).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-03-2018, 01:02 AM   #26
MVP

CaseIH's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xogo
Id like to get some opinions from people. Of the following baseball sims, which do yo think produces the most realistic and accurate results for team Wins/Losses and players stats?

OOTP 18
Action! PC Baseball
Diamond Mind
Strat-O-Matic
PC Replay Baseball
Inside Pitch Baseball

Ive never played any of the other games, so I dont have much to go by. However OOTP has always put up realistic statistics, in the time that I have played it, which I started playing it back with OOTP15.

Favorite teams:
MLB- Reds/ and whoever is playing the Cubs
NBA- Pacers
NFL- Dolphins & Colts
Old 06-20-2018, 11:12 AM   #27
Rookie

OReilly10's Arena

OVR: 7

Strat O Matic is based on the statistical performance of a given season. It is all put in terms of statistical probabilities of dice rolls (two 6-sided, supplemented by an occasional 20-sided roll). Ratings are given to a player's Bunting, hit and run, clutch hitting, stealing, pitcher fatigue points, etc. Also ranges (or modifiers) provided for running (taking extra bases), advanced stealing, holding runners, wild pitches, passed balls, balks, throwing arm from the outfield. Also, there are weather effects for each city that effect some potential home runs and singles depending on the ball park.

Basically, if you use players identically to their actual season use, and manage similarly to the real life manager, things will come out fairly accurate.... with a little variance.

It sounds complex, but it really isn't that difficult to play.

The computer version puts a lot of it under the hood, but you can also mimic playing on the table top (even can input your own dice rolls). You can customize the logos, sounds, player photos, ballpark images, etc, and there is a community out there with ready to go goodies. The computer version also comes with pre-set "as played" seasons, so you can plug it in and start playing a 1985 Royals season with the exact lineups, starting pitchers, etc for each and every game.

You can also modify anything you want. Mix players up, create your own draft league, cross teams from different seasons, form a tournament of a group of teams, etc...
Old 04-25-2020, 03:58 PM   #28
Rookie

OVR: 0

I'll preface this with saying that the only computer sim I’ve played is OOTP, but am thinking about trying out Diamond Mind but have just a few questions about creating new teams with fictional players.

Is anyone here familiar enough with that game to know how this done? Meaning, how are attributes decided upon? Do you enter stats (AB, H, 2B, HR, BB, K, SB, for example) and then the computer auto-rates the players? Or do you assign ratings (for instance a power or contact rating on a 0-100 scale)? Basically what I am looking to do is enter a bunch of college teams/players based upon their statistics and set up a league so they can all play each other, but I'm trying to learn a bit more about how the game goes about this. I've tried the OOTP player creator and found it cumbersome. Thanks in advance!
Old 09-29-2021, 12:35 PM   #29
Rookie

OVR: 0

I run a baseball sim league that has been running since 2010. We use Baseball Mogul, have our own HOF, do a live draft, lots of trading and banter, etc.

Super fun and we have Minnesota and Cleveland open for those interested!

https://discord.gg/K6GmSMX897

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games »