Home

What baseball games did you play before The Show?

This is a discussion on What baseball games did you play before The Show? within the Other Baseball Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-18-2020, 02:17 PM   #9
MVP

Madden08PCgmr's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: What baseball games did you play before The Show?

I started on NES, Bases Loaded. Loved playing with KC. They had (what I assumed to be) versions of Flash Gordon and Bo Jackson (Baker).. vividly remember a grand slam I hit for an insane comeback with Quicy, the catcher. Kinda silly, once the penant was won, the game ended.

Moved to Baseball Simulator 1000 on SNES. My intro to roster creation. I remember creating a guy that could barely hit, but was so fast that he just kept racking up triples and inside the park homers. Pretty obnoxious.

Next I remember World Series Baseball. Pitched a perfect game with John Smoltz, before I even realized what a perfect game was. I also vividly remember having a microscopic ERA with Tom Glavine. Probably still my fondest memories of baseball gaming, to this day.

Played something on N64.. so memorable, I can't remember the name.

Obligatory MVP reference. Don't remember it as fondly as some as the Ms had traded Griffey and lost A-Rod. Robbed me of SO much joy. Really loved the Manager mode in that game though.

Long, long gap between that and the Show 14.

.. thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Last edited by Madden08PCgmr; 08-18-2020 at 02:20 PM.
Old 08-23-2020, 06:16 PM   #10
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Most recently, MLB 2K. I loved that series. If still be playing that if hasn't been cancelled.

Sent from my MAR-LX3A using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 08-23-2020, 07:05 PM   #11
MVP

brent3419's Arena

OVR: 6

triple play then mvp baseball

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
MLB: Boston Red Sox, Atlanta Braves
MLS: Seattle Sounders
NCAAFB: Miami (FL), Mississippi State, Arkansas
International Soccer: AC Milan, PSG, US National Soccer, German National Soccer
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2020, 07:28 PM   #12
All Star

OVR: 8

This is a real trip down memory lane.

I remember playing Roger Clemens MVP baseball a bit on the NES. I didn't really start getting into baseball games until the SNES and Sega though.

Super Baseball 2020 and Cyber Stadium were two games that I loved renting. It would be cool to see a game like that released today. A total arcade style game with super pitches and robot fights.

Possibly my most played baseball game of all time though is Ken Griffey Jr. Major League Baseball on the SNES. That was the first baseball game that I owned, and I played the ever living crap out of it. I think it was bugged though, because every time I would get about 60 or so games into the season the memory would get wiped and I'd have to start over. That was also my first time ever experiencing naming rosters. Griffey was the only named player in the game. I always played either Seattle or Atlanta, and every time I started a season I would spend an hour editing the roster names (at least as much as I could as an 8 year old without the internet and minimal knowledge of players outside outside of the stars.

From there I went to World Series baseball 95 and 96. Hit a home run with Babe Ruth and then do cartwheels around the bases.

After that I think is when I got a Sega Saturn and All-Star baseball. I didn't play much on that, . I really don't remember much about that game though or the one I played after it on the PS1 (Triple Play 98).

The next game that I remember really sinking time into was All Star Baseball 99 on the N64. I think I still have it somewhere, and then again on the ps1.

After that was the Dreamcast era. I really enjoyed the 2k games back then. From there on I was a mix of the 2k series, the 989 MLB series, and the MVP series (sometimes multiple in a single years). Once 2k got it's exclusive license though I stuck with them for a couple years before falling in love with the Show 08. Picked up every edition of the Show until 18 when it became apparent I was no longer their audience.

So, thanks for helping me realize how much money I've dropped on baseball video games over like 25 years lol.
Old 09-01-2020, 12:03 PM   #13
Rookie

timmermac's Arena

OVR: 1

Front Page Sports Baseball, High Heat, 2K, MVP.
Old 09-01-2020, 01:36 PM   #14
Rookie

Limasbravo's Arena

NCAA MVP baseball was amazing. Really sad my PS3 isn't backwards compatible for PS2 games.

NCAA MVP baseball did what I wish every single sports game did.

You could edit EVERY SINGLE team and put a created team in. Sure the logos were generic but you could choose the colors and jersey style. You could give them whatever team name, you could give them whatever city name.

You could do with the same for the players. Edit every single one of them.

You could create custom stadiums. There were plenty of backgrounds, which sure had the actual stadium stands being unedible, but you you could customize each and every section of the outfield wall.

You could do this all inside the game/
Old 09-03-2020, 12:46 AM   #15
MVP

zello144's Arena

World Series Baseball 2k3 I think this was my first MLB video game and hardly remember much about it. Only the ESPN presentation.

MLB Slugfest 04 and 06

MVP Baseball 2005

MLB 2k all of last gen when I was stuck with an Xbox 360. Was it perfect no but I do miss some of its charm. The presentation and commentary were awesome.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-03-2020, 03:20 PM   #16
Rookie

tjung0831's Arena

Played them all..starting with Atari baseball on the 2600 and then moving on to M-Network baseball which rivaled Intellivision baseball. Once we moved on from the Atari and Intellivision to the C64 there were many others but the main two were Gamestar baseball and Microleague baseball. Me and my friends played many seasons of Microleague and that was back in the day when you waited for the baseball magazines to come out every March and you’d spend 30 minutes updating every roster with the previous years stats. Such great times for sure.
Pretty much every baseball game that came out for the Genesis to all the current systems, I bought and played as well.
Good times for sure

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games »