Home

Happy Tenth Anniversary, MLB Power Pros 2008!

This is a discussion on Happy Tenth Anniversary, MLB Power Pros 2008! within the Other Baseball Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-29-2018, 09:36 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Happy Tenth Anniversary, MLB Power Pros 2008!

Today is a momentous day in Power Pros history.

Today marks the 10th anniversary of the release of MLB Power Pros 2008. It's amazing how this game, this niche baseball video game (which I still contend is the best baseball game ever released for the Wii, second only to Mario Super Sluggers) has survived among some of us for this long. I remember thinking when I first bought this game that this was a very unique baseball video game with players I knew about decently well already (that, and it was a sequel to a game I really liked in the first place). Who knew that this has became the baseball game of choice for some of us for so long (and that we would never get another one in the US?)

So, on this glorious day in Power Pros history, I'd love to hear your first memories/impressions of playing this game!

Happy Birthday, Power Pros 08.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2018, 11:33 PM   #2
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: Happy Tenth Anniversary, MLB Power Pros 2008!

I didn't have this one, but I had the 2007 version simply called MLB Power Pros.

This game was glorious and very cute. The faces after looking strikeouts, the overzealous announcer, fun menus and music, good pick-up-and-play vibes, easy to read player morale, tight simulation gameplay packaged in a cartooney, legless environment... all of it was just great.

I didn't have as much fun playing unless I did fantasy drafts though for some reason. I also never enjoyed the fact that you couldn't homer with the contact swing. Also, pitchers lit me up when they hit.

Great game though, and I would continue to purchase future iterations if they made them for PS4. I wouldn't mind getting the Japanese version instead of MLB, but I would need an English translation. I have PYS 2013 and outside of playing a handful of exhibition games I never really advanced any further because of the language barrier.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 07-31-2018, 02:46 AM   #3
All Star

inkcil's Arena

OVR: 23

I still own the PS2 version...hoping Sony makes the PS5 backwards compatible with previous generations.

This was a great game...wish a new version had been made of this instead of games like Super Mega Baseball and RBI '18 (which are good games in their own right).

Now Playing:

XB1 (Forza Motorsport 6 and Horizon 2)
Switch (Mario Kart and Zelda)
PS3 (old 2k games and the Show)
Old 08-03-2018, 04:30 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 10

Is it true that there is a community that updates the game to today's rosters? I'd love to try that.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:53 AM   #5
Banned

Peter_OS's Arena

OVR: 20

Wouldn't it be great if they brought this game to the Nintendo switch with updated rosters? Definite buy for me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2018, 03:22 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinpanalley
Is it true that there is a community that updates the game to today's rosters? I'd love to try that.
Yeah, the MLB Power Pros World forum has roster "updates" for the emulated version of the Wii version.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games »