Home

What is holding up another baseball sim game on consoles?

This is a discussion on What is holding up another baseball sim game on consoles? within the Other Baseball Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-06-2019, 03:10 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 6
What is holding up another baseball sim game on consoles?

If I understand correctly, there is no longer an exclusive MLB license right? Meaning if say EA or 2K want to make their own baseball game, they can (??).

If that is correct, what's the hold up? I remember a few years ago the argument was baseball games make no money but I think the last 3 years MLB THE SHOW has shown companies can make A LOT of money on baseball games.

What's the hold up if not licensing? I understand we have RBI baseball but that's arcade. I'd love for EA to remake MVP or even Microsoft remake High Heat which they still own the code license for.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-06-2019, 01:01 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: What is holding up another baseball sim game on consoles?

Good question, but probably what's holding it up is the development phase. The Show is the only game to have a foothold in development. Everyone else would be from ground up and would be quite an investment of not just time but also programming and feature building which costs a lot of $$$$. Not to mention the MLB and MLB Players licenses.
Old 08-18-2019, 07:36 PM   #3
Member of Rush Nation

CujoMatty's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by baconbits11
Good question, but probably what's holding it up is the development phase. The Show is the only game to have a foothold in development. Everyone else would be from ground up and would be quite an investment of not just time but also programming and feature building which costs a lot of $$$$. Not to mention the MLB and MLB Players licenses.
I don’t have a link but I read somewhere that the reason MVP isn’t happening is exactly the reason you said. Too much ground to catch up to the Show.
Old 08-29-2019, 01:16 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by baconbits11
The Show isn't the only game with a foothold in development. Konami has been continuously making great baseball games for decades in Japan. They really just need a dedicated American publisher who can take the engine and core mechanics, make some tweaks to reflect the US style of play, and then market the game properly. 2K Sports received this opportunity over a decade ago, but failed miserably in so many ways. To be fair, they were involved in so many baseball projects at the time, that it must have been hard for them to concentrate on one, and make it great.
Old 08-31-2019, 01:35 AM   #5
All Star

UFCMPunk's Arena

In regards to this, I see what Axis Football and Maximum Football is doing where they are making a sim football game without the NFL license. Would a customization filled non licensed Baseball Game be the answer to this thread? If anyone out there would make a non licensed fictional world of baseball with fictional teams, players, coaches, would it work?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-31-2019, 11:05 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFCMPunk
In regards to this, I see what Axis Football and Maximum Football is doing where they are making a sim football game without the NFL license. Would a customization filled non licensed Baseball Game be the answer to this thread? If anyone out there would make a non licensed fictional world of baseball with fictional teams, players, coaches, would it work?
I don't think a baseball game would have the same demand or sales numbers as a football game. Already, Axis and MaxFB will probably lose the vast majority of potential customers by not having the NFL/NCAA license. Personally, I don't care, and I'll be buying (and I'd be buying baseball and hockey games that don't have a license). But, in terms of sales numbers, I doubt an unlicensed baseball game could be profitable.
Old 09-01-2019, 03:26 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

profit. there's barely enough profit in the Show to qualify it as more than a fringe sport. relatively speaking. probably RBI getting slowly better over time is the best hope.

A Work in Progress
Old 09-01-2019, 04:13 PM   #8
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFCMPunk
Depends on the title. Look at Super Mega Baseball and its customization options. Of course, that is an arcade game in nature, and may be different than that of a sim title.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games »