Home

Pro Yakyuu Spirits 2020

This is a discussion on Pro Yakyuu Spirits 2020 within the Other Baseball Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-15-2020, 02:08 AM   #41
MVP

OVR: 3
Re: Pro Yakyuu Spirits 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollTideRoll0929
Ok so I've been watching videos of this game since early this year, really enjoyed watching gameplay but I was pretty intimidated by the language barrier, that and the hefty price tag, over $100 US dollars at the time. After doing a bit of research, I found out about the spirits translation website, and this game went on sale for $44 on Amazon, so I decided to take a chance and buy it.

I've been playing The Show even before it's been called the Show, and while I still enjoy it, was getting a little burnt out on The Show. So I bought PYS 19 and started playing it, so far I'm really enjoying it even though I'm not ready to say that it's a better game than The Show. I honestly feel both games have their own strengths and weaknesses, and I enjoy playing both so I wont say either one is better.

Even with the spirits translate page, I'm still having a little trouble navigating some of the menus. For example, under the settings option, the pitching menu is slightly different in game than on the translate page. It's like there's one extra option on the pitching setting menu that's not on the translate menu page(its the 2nd pitching option from the top, not sure what it does but theres 4 options when you click on it). Also I cant navigate the in game pause menu for subbing players, warming up pitchers in the bullpen, etc.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to where I can go to get additional help with navigating the menus? Spirits translate helps a LOT, for the most part I was able to navigate well enough to tweak most of the settings and do like 4 exhibition games. Liking this game so far but I feel once I can navigate all the menus, that will make this game even more enjoyable than it already is.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/google...te/id414706506
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-15-2020, 07:20 AM   #42
Pro

GainzBro's Arena

OVR: 0

What are the gameplay differences from The Show? What does it do better? What does it do worse?
Quote:
Ok so I've been watching videos of this game since early this year, really enjoyed watching gameplay but I was pretty intimidated by the language barrier, that and the hefty price tag, over $100 US dollars at the time. After doing a bit of research, I found out about the spirits translation website, and this game went on sale for $44 on Amazon, so I decided to take a chance and buy it.

I've been playing The Show even before it's been called the Show, and while I still enjoy it, was getting a little burnt out on The Show. So I bought PYS 19 and started playing it, so far I'm really enjoying it even though I'm not ready to say that it's a better game than The Show. I honestly feel both games have their own strengths and weaknesses, and I enjoy playing both so I wont say either one is better.

Even with the spirits translate page, I'm still having a little trouble navigating some of the menus. For example, under the settings option, the pitching menu is slightly different in game than on the translate page. It's like there's one extra option on the pitching setting menu that's not on the translate menu page(its the 2nd pitching option from the top, not sure what it does but theres 4 options when you click on it). Also I cant navigate the in game pause menu for subbing players, warming up pitchers in the bullpen, etc.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to where I can go to get additional help with navigating the menus? Spirits translate helps a LOT, for the most part I was able to navigate well enough to tweak most of the settings and do like 4 exhibition games. Liking this game so far but I feel once I can navigate all the menus, that will make this game even more enjoyable than it already is.
Sent from my LGMP260 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 10-15-2020, 04:05 PM   #43
Rookie

Quote:

Google translate is your friend (if you are on android).

You can easily translate menus etc using this.

Re the pitching menu - they added a new option of pitching assist level which is the second one down between pitching type and pitching cursor. It goes None, Level 1, Level 2, Level 3

Failing that a lot of the menus are similar to older versions of the game and you can still view them from the old Spirits Translation site. You would just need to work out what is still relevant:

https://pysclassic.com/getstarted/pausemenu_2013.html
Old 10-15-2020, 06:18 PM   #44
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GainzBro
What are the gameplay differences from The Show? What does it do better? What does it do worse?

Well, I've only had it for 3 days now, so I may not be the most qualified person to do an analysis, as my views on certain aspects of the game may change somewhat once I get more time playing it under my belt so I may come back and update this in the near future. This is more or less just my first impressions of the game. I'll start off with the things I like, things I feel PYS 2019 does better than The Show, etc.

The graphics are amazing, faces are scanned very well, I notice a good bit of detail was put into the player models. Do they look exactly like their real life counterparts?? Really tough for me to say as I have not watched a good bit of Japanese baseball, but I do recognize a handful of players who were formerly playing in the MLB and I do have to say they look spot on. The colors are a little more muted than The Show but I think the colors are more natural and depict the actual look and appearances of players and stadiums more realistically. I cant say one looks head or shoulders better than the other, it all comes down to personal preference.

I personally think the player models look a little better in PYS, I'm a fan of a more natural look, but The Show looks pretty good itself so it's not a huge advantage one game over the other as far as graphics and player models go. Animations, most definitely the pitching and batting animations to be more specific, I strongly feel theres a much bigger discrepancy, and in my opinion PYS 2019's animations are a good bit better than The Show. Everything just looks and feels more fluid in PYS and the controls are nice and responsive, I dont feel any delay when I press the swing button. The controls for the most part are solid, everything seems really easy to pick up and play. Power swings are triggered by pressing the R1 button prior to swinging. X button is your standard swing and O is for trying to slap the ball to opposite field.

Running controls are taking me a little get used to but I've been complaining about The Show's running controls for years now so these are probably a little better for running once I get used to it. I havent tried career mode or franchise mode; season mode, etc yet so I cannot say whether they are enjoyable or not, but gauging from other peoples' reactions, they are done well. I also cannot compare the commentary between the 2 games and say which ones better as I do not speak or understand Japanese but it is nice to not hear Matt Vasgersian and his recycled lines from each year.

I'm sure I will think of many more positives as I play this game more, but to sum up the positives; great graphics, slick animations, very intuitive controls, and I almost forgot one other thing that stood out to me......the sound effects are EXCELLENT! I love the crack of the bat when connecting on a line drive, the pop of the catcher's mitt, the crowd chants and cheers really help immerse you in the game. I think the sound is amazing, although I am already getting very tired of the main menu theme music.......its pretty bad lol.

Alright, so now let me get to the things that I'm not crazy about, or things where I feel The Show is better. Sliders; not sure if they even included sliders in PYS, and if so, I have yet to see them. If there are indeed sliders, I just haven't discovered them yet and I apologize. The Show gives you many sliders to tweak and adjust to customize the game to make the gsme play exactly how you see fit. I do know PYS has options you can change and adjust, but having 2 or 3 options is not the same as having a slider to fine tune it exactly like you need it. There also doesn't seem to be as high a degree for customizing the controls......for example, pitching, theres only the option for 1 click and 2 click pitching, no option for analog or meter pitching. I do like the pitching setup in PYS, but would be nice if they have alternative options for pitching.

Same with the fielding.......they dont give you multiple options to choose from as far as fielding and throwing the ball, it's pretty much just manual, auto, or assisted fielding and no choices as far as throwing a fielded ball. I really am a huge fan of The Shows throwing meter, you have to really aim for the middle of the meter for maximum accuracy and throwing power. In PYS its just a simple button press to the appropriate base. Not bad, just very simplistic.

There are no sliders for adjusting contact or power for you or the CPU, so it's very hard to fine tune everything where it feels just right. Sliders would have made a huge difference. The camera angles aren't the greatest sometimes. I finally found the right ones I like for batting and pitching but to me, thr fielding cameras aren't that great and sometimes the camera has trouble keeping up with the ball. Something about the ball physics seems a little off as well. I know most the stadiums are artificial turf, but just seems like the ball has a little too much bounce to it. Wish there was an option or slider to tone down the liveliness of the ball just a bit.

Other than these few things, I dont have a ton of criticism for this game, and the few complaints I listed, none of them are game breaking nor make me want to put this game down. I'm sure I'll be able to talk more about this game in a couple of weeks once I have more time with it. For me, I have room for both baseball games in my library and I can see myself alternating between each one.
Old 10-15-2020, 06:22 PM   #45
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintjimbo1885
Google translate is your friend (if you are on android).

You can easily translate menus etc using this.

Re the pitching menu - they added a new option of pitching assist level which is the second one down between pitching type and pitching cursor. It goes None, Level 1, Level 2, Level 3

Failing that a lot of the menus are similar to older versions of the game and you can still view them from the old Spirits Translation site. You would just need to work out what is still relevant:

https://pysclassic.com/getstarted/pausemenu_2013.html
That's the option that I couldnt find on the spirits translate site, thank you so much!! I do recall seeing 4 sub options, and there was definitely a 1, a 2, and a 3 in the sub option menu but I had no idea what it was for. So what exactly is pitching assist? Pretty sure I have it turned off since I had no idea what it was. One more quick question if I could trouble you; how in the world do you warm up relievers? I was experimenting around and I did swap pitchers bit I couldnt ever figure out how to warm them up in the bullpen. Thank you for helping me figure out the pitching options BTW
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-15-2020, 07:12 PM   #46
Pro

GainzBro's Arena

Quote:
Well, I've only had it for 3 days now, so I may not be the most qualified person to do an analysis, as my views on certain aspects of the game may change somewhat once I get more time playing it under my belt so I may come back and update this in the near future. This is more or less just my first impressions of the game. I'll start off with the things I like, things I feel PYS 2019 does better than The Show, etc.

The graphics are amazing, faces are scanned very well, I notice a good bit of detail was put into the player models. Do they look exactly like their real life counterparts?? Really tough for me to say as I have not watched a good bit of Japanese baseball, but I do recognize a handful of players who were formerly playing in the MLB and I do have to say they look spot on. The colors are a little more muted than The Show but I think the colors are more natural and depict the actual look and appearances of players and stadiums more realistically. I cant say one looks head or shoulders better than the other, it all comes down to personal preference.

I personally think the player models look a little better in PYS, I'm a fan of a more natural look, but The Show looks pretty good itself so it's not a huge advantage one game over the other as far as graphics and player models go. Animations, most definitely the pitching and batting animations to be more specific, I strongly feel theres a much bigger discrepancy, and in my opinion PYS 2019's animations are a good bit better than The Show. Everything just looks and feels more fluid in PYS and the controls are nice and responsive, I dont feel any delay when I press the swing button. The controls for the most part are solid, everything seems really easy to pick up and play. Power swings are triggered by pressing the R1 button prior to swinging. X button is your standard swing and O is for trying to slap the ball to opposite field.

Running controls are taking me a little get used to but I've been complaining about The Show's running controls for years now so these are probably a little better for running once I get used to it. I havent tried career mode or franchise mode; season mode, etc yet so I cannot say whether they are enjoyable or not, but gauging from other peoples' reactions, they are done well. I also cannot compare the commentary between the 2 games and say which ones better as I do not speak or understand Japanese but it is nice to not hear Matt Vasgersian and his recycled lines from each year.

I'm sure I will think of many more positives as I play this game more, but to sum up the positives; great graphics, slick animations, very intuitive controls, and I almost forgot one other thing that stood out to me......the sound effects are EXCELLENT! I love the crack of the bat when connecting on a line drive, the pop of the catcher's mitt, the crowd chants and cheers really help immerse you in the game. I think the sound is amazing, although I am already getting very tired of the main menu theme music.......its pretty bad lol.

Alright, so now let me get to the things that I'm not crazy about, or things where I feel The Show is better. Sliders; not sure if they even included sliders in PYS, and if so, I have yet to see them. If there are indeed sliders, I just haven't discovered them yet and I apologize. The Show gives you many sliders to tweak and adjust to customize the game to make the gsme play exactly how you see fit. I do know PYS has options you can change and adjust, but having 2 or 3 options is not the same as having a slider to fine tune it exactly like you need it. There also doesn't seem to be as high a degree for customizing the controls......for example, pitching, theres only the option for 1 click and 2 click pitching, no option for analog or meter pitching. I do like the pitching setup in PYS, but would be nice if they have alternative options for pitching.

Same with the fielding.......they dont give you multiple options to choose from as far as fielding and throwing the ball, it's pretty much just manual, auto, or assisted fielding and no choices as far as throwing a fielded ball. I really am a huge fan of The Shows throwing meter, you have to really aim for the middle of the meter for maximum accuracy and throwing power. In PYS its just a simple button press to the appropriate base. Not bad, just very simplistic.

There are no sliders for adjusting contact or power for you or the CPU, so it's very hard to fine tune everything where it feels just right. Sliders would have made a huge difference. The camera angles aren't the greatest sometimes. I finally found the right ones I like for batting and pitching but to me, thr fielding cameras aren't that great and sometimes the camera has trouble keeping up with the ball. Something about the ball physics seems a little off as well. I know most the stadiums are artificial turf, but just seems like the ball has a little too much bounce to it. Wish there was an option or slider to tone down the liveliness of the ball just a bit.

Other than these few things, I dont have a ton of criticism for this game, and the few complaints I listed, none of them are game breaking nor make me want to put this game down. I'm sure I'll be able to talk more about this game in a couple of weeks once I have more time with it. For me, I have room for both baseball games in my library and I can see myself alternating between each one.
Thanks! I'm a Show offline franchise only player who is definitely interested in PYS. This is a very thorough, helpful review.

Old 10-15-2020, 08:08 PM   #47
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GainzBro
Thanks! I'm a Show offline franchise only player who is definitely interested in PYS. This is a very thorough, helpful review.

Same here, I dont mess with RTTS , online, or Diamond Dynasty whatsoever, I strictly play exhibition games with custom rosters(80s and 90s players) and I'm about halfway thru my first ever franchise mode season. I was super hesitant on buying PYS, mainly because of the language barrier but also because I really didnt want to split my time between 2 baseball games. I try to do at least one franchise game a day but I have a job with mandatory O.T. and 2 kids that take up most of my time when I'm home, but my nightly routine is once everybody is in bed I relax by playing one game of The Show.

PYS is amazing and well worth the $44 I paid for it but I will definitely not be putting down The Show. Rather I'll be likely alternating the 2 games, playing PYS one day and The Show the next day.

Both games are amazing, and there are a couple really good sites that help out with navigating the menus. I'm still learning about PYS and I need to mess with the settings a little more to get it exactly how I want it but so far it's amazing, and how they did the batting, with the PCI , honestly I do like that part better than The Show and the pitcher/batter matchups are very realistic.
Old 10-16-2020, 09:44 AM   #48
Pro

GainzBro's Arena

Quote:
Same here, I dont mess with RTTS , online, or Diamond Dynasty whatsoever, I strictly play exhibition games with custom rosters(80s and 90s players) and I'm about halfway thru my first ever franchise mode season. I was super hesitant on buying PYS, mainly because of the language barrier but also because I really didnt want to split my time between 2 baseball games. I try to do at least one franchise game a day but I have a job with mandatory O.T. and 2 kids that take up most of my time when I'm home, but my nightly routine is once everybody is in bed I relax by playing one game of The Show.

PYS is amazing and well worth the $44 I paid for it but I will definitely not be putting down The Show. Rather I'll be likely alternating the 2 games, playing PYS one day and The Show the next day.

Both games are amazing, and there are a couple really good sites that help out with navigating the menus. I'm still learning about PYS and I need to mess with the settings a little more to get it exactly how I want it but so far it's amazing, and how they did the batting, with the PCI , honestly I do like that part better than The Show and the pitcher/batter matchups are very realistic.
Very cool. We don't have kids at home but my play time is after my wife goes to bed too.
I've only played classic rosters for months. My franchise is an 80's fantasy drafted franchise. It's incredibly fun.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games »