Home

Action! Sports v. Strat

This is a discussion on Action! Sports v. Strat within the Other Basketball Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-27-2011, 02:38 PM   #1
MVP

choadler's Arena

OVR: 14
Action! Sports v. Strat

Anyone play these? I am looking for a basketball text sim. These two seem to be relatively close in terms of what they offer. Anyone have any thoughts on these two games?

I am surprised that Operation Sports does not review any of these titles.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-30-2011, 01:59 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Action! Sports v. Strat

If these are the two choices that you have narrowed it down to, I would suggest Strat. You can get some pretty funky stats with the Action! PC games.

If I may, I would like to suggest Draft Day Sports College Basketball or Draft Day Sports Pro Basketball from Wolverine Studios. They do not have real teams or players but there are mods out there and the best part is you can keep your Dynasty going from year to year instead of having to buy multiple season disks after completing a season. You can even combine the two games as the college grads can enter your pro league! Just go to wolverinestudios.com if you would like to see more info.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:21 AM   #3
MVP

choadler's Arena

Thanks for the info on that. I am more interested right now in historical playbacks than fictional ones. I do like OOTP and Draft day sounds like that, but right now just interested in historical playbacks.

Off topic for this forum, but have you played the Action! PC baseball? How is that in regards to stat accuracy. Alot of their forum members are ex Diamond Mind and Strat players, so I am guessing it must be pretty solid.
Old 05-21-2011, 12:29 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by choadler
Thanks for the info on that. I am more interested right now in historical playbacks than fictional ones. I do like OOTP and Draft day sounds like that, but right now just interested in historical playbacks.

Off topic for this forum, but have you played the Action! PC baseball? How is that in regards to stat accuracy. Alot of their forum members are ex Diamond Mind and Strat players, so I am guessing it must be pretty solid.
Action PC baseball is a GREAT product. I play both Strat and APC. I am in some face to face strat leagues. The main thing about APC is what you get for your money. Color Ballparks ($30 extra with strat), ability to add your own ballpark pix (Cant do in strat), Editable PBP (Have to pay for team specific PBP from strat) and so on. Both games play about the same and both have good and bad points. I have played both for many years and give the nod to APC, especially if you are doing solo replay/historical projects.

In regards to the previous post about APC hoops and "funky" stats. I have not seen any more or less funky stats with APC vs Strat. One thing I have a BIG problem with strat is the computer manager. I am in a 4 person league, with the computer controlling the other 16 teams. No matter how many tweaks to the lineups, the computer will just do what it pleases. Some examples... Kobe averaging 14 minutes a game. Durant playing 20. Even though both of these players were in their teams starting lineup and only setup to rest about 8 minutes.

That is really my only beef with SOM hoops. I will say, you can tell that their baseball PC version is the pride of the fleet. Hoops and Football seem more of an afterthought. Still good games and fun, but PC version of football is "Dated" and very limited in complexity (especially offense). Little things like NOT even being able to defer if you win the coin flip..
Old 05-26-2011, 01:06 PM   #5
MVP

choadler's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfan77
Action PC baseball is a GREAT product. I play both Strat and APC. I am in some face to face strat leagues. The main thing about APC is what you get for your money. Color Ballparks ($30 extra with strat), ability to add your own ballpark pix (Cant do in strat), Editable PBP (Have to pay for team specific PBP from strat) and so on. Both games play about the same and both have good and bad points. I have played both for many years and give the nod to APC, especially if you are doing solo replay/historical projects.

In regards to the previous post about APC hoops and "funky" stats. I have not seen any more or less funky stats with APC vs Strat. One thing I have a BIG problem with strat is the computer manager. I am in a 4 person league, with the computer controlling the other 16 teams. No matter how many tweaks to the lineups, the computer will just do what it pleases. Some examples... Kobe averaging 14 minutes a game. Durant playing 20. Even though both of these players were in their teams starting lineup and only setup to rest about 8 minutes.

That is really my only beef with SOM hoops. I will say, you can tell that their baseball PC version is the pride of the fleet. Hoops and Football seem more of an afterthought. Still good games and fun, but PC version of football is "Dated" and very limited in complexity (especially offense). Little things like NOT even being able to defer if you win the coin flip..
I bought both the baseball and basketball games. I think the basketball game is a whole heck of a lot of fun. The game does a good job of capturing the feel of a basketball game. I am replaying the 1993-1994 season currently as the Houston Rockets to see if I can repeat.

I am going to be getting the football game once we get closer to football season. I have started playing the baseball game yet.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-27-2011, 08:12 PM   #6
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by choadler
I bought both the baseball and basketball games. I think the basketball game is a whole heck of a lot of fun. The game does a good job of capturing the feel of a basketball game. I am replaying the 1993-1994 season currently as the Houston Rockets to see if I can repeat.

I am going to be getting the football game once we get closer to football season. I have started playing the baseball game yet.
I like both, but I prefer APC for basketball. I feel you get more bang for your buck with APC. Plus Dave does a great job of supporting his products.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games »