Home

NBA Action '18 (Sega Genesis Mod)

This is a discussion on NBA Action '18 (Sega Genesis Mod) within the Other Basketball Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-17-2017, 08:39 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
NBA Action '18 (Sega Genesis Mod)

Hey OS,

I wanted to let you know that I've been working on modding one of my favorite SEGA Genesis games of all time, NBA Action '95, for the upcoming 2018 season.

In my opinion, NBA Action '95 is a legitimate forgotten classic in all of sports video games; its fast pace gameplay is more suited for the style of the current NBA and the game has some surprisingly detailed features for a game released in 1994 (Two examples: 1) A defensive matchup system and adjustable in-game defensive settings. 2) Individual ratings for how often a player commits a foul and how often a player draws a foul.)

Graphically, NBA Action ain't cute, but it is acceptable considering the limitations at the time; in a similar vein to how Tecmo Super Bowl is still acceptable.

Currently, I am working on the basics of the mod. Getting the current players in the game with accurate ratings and faces, updating every team's jerseys and courts, updating team colors in menus, updating team names (Bullets to Wizards, Sonics to Thunder), figuring out how to update team logo's and how to get the Pelicans, Raptors, and Grizzlies into Season Mode.

Ultimately I would like to have an option to download and emulate this mod on nearly every platform(PC, Mac, iOS, Android) and to be able to support NetPlay.

I've only been working on this project for about a week and I've already made some pretty solid developments:

Team Color Updates

-Updated Home/Away jerseys for Charlotte to match current color scheme(Purple/Teal)
-Updated court for Charlotte
-Updated Home/Away jerseys for Cleveland to match current color scheme (Wine/Gold)
-Updated court for Cleveland
-Updated Home/Away jerseys for Dallas to match current color scheme
-Updated court for Dallas
-Updated Home/Away jerseys for Denver to match current color scheme (Light Blue/Yellow)
-Updated court for Denver
-Updated Home/Away jerseys for Detroit to match current color scheme
(Away jerseys needed a lighter blue, Home needed red instead of blue)
-Updated court for Detroit
-Updated Home jerseys for Golden State to match current color scheme
(White/Blue/Gold)
-Updated court for Golden State
-Updated Home/Away jerseys for Houston to match current color scheme (Red/Silver)
-Updated court for Houston
-Updated Home/Away jerseys for LA Clippers to match current color scheme
-Updated court for LA Clippers
-Updated Home/Away jerseys for LA Lakers to match current color scheme (Changed away jerseys to a darker purple and home to a darker gold)
-Updated Home/Away jerseys for Seattle Supersonics to match current Oklahoma City Thunder color scheme (Blue/Orange)
-Updated court for Seattle to match OKC court (light blue)

Team Name Updates

-Seattle Supersonics to OKC Thunder
-Washington Bullets to Washington Wizards
-NBA Veterans to N.O Pelicans
-Hall of Fame Legends to Toronto Raptors
-Hall of Fame Heroes to Memphis Grizzlies

Players Added

LeBron James
Tristan Thompson
Kyrie Irving
Kevin Love
J.R. Smith
Steph Curry
Klay Thompson
Kevin Durant
Draymond Green
Zaza Pachulia
Russ Westbrook
Paul George
G. Antetokounmpo

I am currently uploading a short YT video of Cavs vs Warriors gameplay just so you guys can see the progress instead of just me talking about it. Please keep in mind that this is extremely early and everything will be tweaked and tweaked again. When the video is uploaded it will be here:

(I am very unhappy with the video quality here. I will be re-uploading a better video. My apologies!

I will continue updating this post as I make progress just to inform anyone who is interested. I've also created a subreddit for discussion, but i'm not 100% on the rules about posting links so I will check back on that.

Thanks for reading, I would love to hear your feedback!

EDIT #1: That gameplay video uploaded in piss-poor quality, so I grabbed a few screenshots on my phone to give a better idea how the game looks.

IMG_1691.JPG

IMG_1696.JPG

IMG_1695.JPG

IMG_1706.JPG
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1701.JPG (443.4 KB, 214 views)

Pacers. Dolphins. Buckeyes.
Reds

Last edited by jclem92; 06-17-2017 at 10:09 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-17-2017, 08:50 PM   #2
MVP

jerwoods's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: NBA Action '18 (Sega Genesis Mod)

since u have mod a Sega Genesis game how possable wouild it be to mod sports talk baseball

i couild do it i just need the tools
Old 06-17-2017, 09:03 PM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerwoods
since u have mod a Sega Genesis game how possable wouild it be to mod sports talk baseball

i couild do it i just need the tools

I would say it's very possible. I'd have to take a look at it to tell you for sure though.

Reds
Old 06-18-2017, 08:06 AM   #4
Twitch/YouTube: Fiddy14

Fiddy's Arena

OVR: 32

This was one of my favorite games on Sega. I used to light up the 3's with Danny Ferry.
http://www.youtube.com/@Fiddy14

Favorite Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
New York Mets
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Browns
Notre Dame Fightin Irish
Liverpool FC
Old 06-18-2017, 01:45 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
This was one of my favorite games on Sega. I used to light up the 3's with Danny Ferry.

Jeff Hornacek was my go-to guy back then for some reason. I always signed Damon Bailey to the Pacers too

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Reds
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-19-2017, 08:12 PM   #6
Rookie

Here's a few more screenshots(one potentially, extremely upsetting screenshot), a lot of progress has been made in the last two days. I'm still working on figuring out how to get the Pelicans, Raptors, and Grizzlies into the game, but I am happy with the direction everything is going right now.

IMG_1723.JPGIMG_1725.JPGIMG_1729.JPGIMG_1726.JPG

Reds
Old 06-20-2017, 07:15 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclem92
Here's a few more screenshots(one potentially, extremely upsetting screenshot), a lot of progress has been made in the last two days. I'm still working on figuring out how to get the Pelicans, Raptors, and Grizzlies into the game, but I am happy with the direction everything is going right now.

Attachment 136354Attachment 136355Attachment 136356Attachment 136357

Nice work, do you work on any other games?
Old 12-29-2017, 01:43 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 0

Did you ever complete this?I would like mod NBA Action 94 with updated rosters , any tips to find player attribute information?

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games »