Home

989 sports, where you at?

This is a discussion on 989 sports, where you at? within the Other Basketball Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-22-2017, 07:43 PM   #41
MVP

Black Bruce Wayne's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: 989 sports, where you at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by youvalss
Haha, I didn't play other football games back then, so I didn't have higher standards.
This thread just reminds that I've played so many sports games in the late 80s and 90s lol. I have no idea how I got Mike Dikta Football. Somebody would have had to have rented it for me. I think I played it for 30 minutes and never again.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-24-2017, 01:03 AM   #42
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

I didn't really get into sports games until around 12-13(25 now), but I do miss the variety. I was never into buying games unless I was certain I would keep playing it, so Blockbuster was my friend lol. I was more into Football than Basketball. But I do remember playing NBA the Inside, but didn't play it much. I remember several years ago, buying old football games for PS2 for cheap just to see how it was. Buying College GameDay or 2k College. Main reason I got more into Basketball games was I didn't like direction of Madden whereas the Basketball games were better products. College Hoops 2k and NCAA Basketball were good. I miss College games. I always preferred NCAA Football to Madden. I think main issue now with College games now is the issue with compensation for players and that doesn't seem like it will be resolved any time soon. I don't think College games sold well, but most them were good games because they usually shared gameplay/graphics with pro-counterpart so they could just focus on features, game modes, and depth

I like competition. It seemed like then Pre-2010 era, competition was the thing where anyone tried to get in the market. Now exclusivity and sales is in control. I'm okay with NBA market with 2k and Live. Maybe if Sony wants to get back in the fold. For the main sports genre(Basketball, Football, Baseball, Soccer), I feel there should be at least 2 licensed games available. 2k decided to stop competing with Show and EA NHL. But it seems like with some companies higher ups, if they cant compete sales wise, than it isn't financially worth it to keep developing. But it doesn't always apply. I read that Fifa 17 destroyed PES in sales by 40x. Usually in that case, a company would just bow out and call it quits. But PES is not giving up.

Competition helps games. If Live had exclusivity, no way would they have skipped years to try and compete with 2k. Same way with Live seeming like it is heading in good direction affected 2k to try make a significant jump to try to keep distance from Live. Sucks that NFL wanted exclusivity, would like to another company could do with NFL license. I liked APF 2k, but a non licensed game isn't going to sell to the mass. For me to buy a unlicensed sports game, there has to be 3 things. (1) Great Gameplay/Visuals. Nothing more to explain. (2) Extensive Customization(Shareable). I want to see people to be able to fully customize uniforms, courts/fields, body types, full-editing/options/sliders and be able to share and download. (3) Depth. The most important feature for me since I'm not a online player. More than just Exhibition and a Season Mode.

Last edited by illwill10; 08-24-2017 at 01:08 AM.
Old 08-25-2017, 10:39 AM   #43
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaebonez34
My favorite basketball game from back then was In the Zone 2 on the ps1, favorite football game was a tie between Joe Montana sports talk football and Deion Sanders primetime football on the sega genesis, favorite baseball game was world series baseball 95 on the sega genesis. All classics!!
Are you...me?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Old 08-26-2017, 02:42 PM   #44
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by GisherJohn24
ANYONE REMEMBER PLAYING THIS? LISTEN TO THAT MUSIC!
NBA IN THE ZONE PS1!

https://youtu.be/-DzZo-0DewI?t=1m26s
I actually still do... their intros especially

Personified the 90's straight up

Last edited by 23; 08-26-2017 at 02:45 PM.
Old 08-27-2017, 08:39 AM   #45
MVP

Black Bruce Wayne's Arena

OVR: 0

At the time, this game was everything. A Sega exclusive. The spin move worked damn near everytime.

https://youtu.be/-rltIECIBIs

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2017, 09:21 AM   #46
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Bruce Wayne
At the time, this game was everything. A Sega exclusive. The spin move worked damn near everytime.

https://youtu.be/-rltIECIBIs

"Where you going?!"

Loved the sound bites on defense.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Old 08-27-2017, 02:29 PM   #47
MVP

loccdogg26's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemthethriller
I always wonder if anyone from MaddenMania is still on here...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was one of those maddenmania guys. When it came to 989 sports I always played the NCAA Gamebreaker and NFL Gameday series.
Old 08-27-2017, 11:10 PM   #48
MVP

swac07's Arena

OVR: 4

I loved nba in the zone!!!!
I used to pick the raptors just to hear the canadian national anthem (I thought that was so cool)

Also, NBA Run and Gun 2 was dope!

Last edited by swac07; 08-27-2017 at 11:25 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games »