Home

Should I be embarssed to say I like Live 18 over 2K18?

This is a discussion on Should I be embarssed to say I like Live 18 over 2K18? within the Other Basketball Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-18-2018, 05:10 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 6
Should I be embarssed to say I like Live 18 over 2K18?

Ive been playing 2k on next gen since the first one came out. I usually pick it up during playoff time and I know around All star weekend it's always free for Free Play days.

This year we got it free this weekend on XBL but also NBA Live went free on EA Access.

NBA 2K series had that force field probably forever but last 2 years they got rid of it and it played so smooth. But this year, so far from what I played, the game feels so rigid. And it's annoying that I can't get past the halftime/pregame/replay screens quickly. I am a bit disappointed by 2K18.

Tried live 18 with the expectation it will suck. But after now a good 2 days, I really really really like live! I can't believe I'm typing that. It looks great, the player's faces on par or better than 2K's version. Also it does one thing good - it just plays basketball.

I also like the hybrid arcade/sim approach to the game. I just want to pickup a game and play basketball. I don't want to wait for TNT pre game or some 2K TV video stream. I like the simplicity of Live, just plays basketball.

I don't think I'll pickup 2k this year during playoffs time. Will just go with Live for the rest of the year to get my bball fix.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-18-2018, 05:19 PM   #2
Greatest caddie ever!

youvalss's Arena

OVR: 42
Re: Should I be embarssed to say I like Live 18 over 2K18?

You should buy/play what you enjoy to play, not what others think you should enjoy. It's the same thing with level of difficulty: some people play on Superstar/Hall of Fame (even if they are having a terrible experience) just because they think it would be an embarrassment to say they play on Pro.

Spoiler

ZX Spectrum
CPU: Z80 @ 3.5 MHz
GPU: Monochrome display
RAM: 48 KB
Old 02-18-2018, 05:43 PM   #3
Rookie

AEJustin's Arena

OVR: 1

I love live 18 more than 2k too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 02-18-2018, 06:49 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0

Nothing wrong at all with your preference. After several years of being a disaster Live is moving in the right direction.

Although my current preference is 2K, I can see myself considering a switch. While I enjoy 2K, I believe that they’ve been resting on their laurels the past several years. If they’re not careful, Live will make an impact.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 02-18-2018, 06:59 PM   #5
Armchair GM

TecmoZack's Arena

OVR: 7

Nothing wrong with that all all. For me this has been the best hoops years since 2010.

On the Xbox - xPonchoChief
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-18-2018, 07:10 PM   #6
Rookie

I remember game that made me quit Live back in like 2003. It was a wing bank shot 3 by Dirk. Having already been frustrated with being unable the likes of Eddie Robinson and the god like abilities of Antoine Walker.

I played 2k every year til last year. It wasn’t fun anymore. I always ended up frustrated with the experience. I decided to try the Live 18 demo and I had a feeling I didn’t have in years. I wanted to run it back immediately.

Imo this looks and plays like NBA basketball. I record game clips on the regular. This game is fun to play. I didn’t buy the other game and I don’t regret it.

Old 02-19-2018, 12:24 AM   #7
All Star

rockchisler's Arena

OVR: 40

Why? Do u live your life based on others opinions? Live us Fire! Forget everyone else.

Follow me on www.Twitter.com/Rockchisler

Just type [ SPOILER ] and [ / SPOILER ], without any spaces.

ROOKIE KILLER
Old 02-19-2018, 05:55 PM   #8
Banned

I definitely enjoy NBA Live more than 2K. But I'm also playing it more as an arcade, pick up and play, game than a nitty gritty sim. For me, it does bring back the fun I had with Live in the 90's.

I've like 2K, but it has always been about two steps more complicated than it needs to be, for me. I'm sure plenty of folks like the deep gameplay and franchise, but I end up not using most of the tools because I really just want to play.

I'm actually kind of excited for Live 19 in the hopes the LUT gets some real love and work. Basketball ought tone the best CCG in there sports genre. Baseball is more natural, but the small rosters and large influence of single players makes basketball a real good fit.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games »