Home

NBA LIVE 18 vs NBA 2K18 OVERALL COMPARISON CHAT

This is a discussion on NBA LIVE 18 vs NBA 2K18 OVERALL COMPARISON CHAT within the Other Basketball Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games
Forza Horizon 5 Review
Have Card-Collecting Modes Become Too Complicated?
Hockey Ultimate Team in NHL 22 Polishes Familiar Formula
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 05-27-2018, 07:37 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0

Lets get peoples opinions on what people like about both and what they like about one more than the other..... And GO!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-27-2018, 09:20 PM   #2
MVP

FerdBrown's Arena

Re: NBA LIVE 18 vs NBA 2K18 OVERALL COMPARISON CHAT

NBA LIVE 18 - not pay to win.
NBA 2K18 - get your momís credit card, quick!
Old 05-27-2018, 10:55 PM   #3
MVP

Mrcabone's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerdBrown
NBA LIVE 18 - not pay to win.
NBA 2K18 - get your momís credit card, quick!
I paid $60 for 2k and not a dime since.

Old 05-28-2018, 11:47 AM   #4
Rookie

sheehy83's Arena

Background = I buy 2K every year, haven't played a Live in years. I complain about 2k every year but 2k18 jumped the shark with all the talk of haircuts for 2000vc etc so I decided to skip it this year and buy Live 18 at launch. I bought 2k 2nd hand last week and traded it after 5 days. I mostly play Career mode with a bit of online park and my team also.

Gameplay:
Live - I had way more fun playing Live, actually best fun with a bball game in years. Levelling up my guy in The One felt fun and not grindy at all. Yeah the physics were wonky, way too many contested shots and too many drives but overall, I always finished a session having enjoyed my couple of hours on it.
2K - Not fun....not fun at all. my 65 rated guy was a load of shyte and took me a few days just to get to 69 when I realised this game is just not fun at all. The gameplay is actually good in this but it felt like if I dropped 40 quid on VC, I could get him to 85 and then start having good stats, buy moves, clothes, access to features, basically unlock the ****ing game. If this was a free to play game, I'd have no problem but **** 2k for being so greedy.

Graphics: I actually preferred Live over 2k, graphics looked more realistic in a gritty way. 2k looked a bit cartoony to me after playing Live.

Presentation & Sound: 2k all day, they just have the bigger budget for that kind of thing but it's the least important aspect to me. The commentary in Live was really bad though, that needs improvement. Sounds from the street were great.

Modes: Again, 2k wins here, more and deeper modes. Saying that, The short street career was better than the last 2 2k's seasons put together for me. LUT needs way more, create your own court, jersey, team, etc.

NBA Live 18 > 2K18 for me as I just had way more fun in Live and that's what matters most to me. I finished each session of 2k18 annoyed and realised my time is too short for that **** and they weren't getting a penny out of me. Bought a 2nd hand copy just to avoid giving 2k money.
Old 05-29-2018, 04:26 PM   #5
Rookie

Live 18 is the first sports game Iíve enjoyed in years. NBA 2k17 was it for me. I felt more frustration than fun by far. I admit I am just a play now guy but it looks, feels, and plays like nba basketball. Really glad I gave it a try. Madden 18 almost put me off sports gaming forever
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-05-2018, 03:40 PM   #6
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrcabone
I paid $60 for 2k and not a dime since.
You ball hog.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 06-06-2018, 08:16 AM   #7
Rookie

MDSavageBeast's Arena

I've been playing 2K since 2K9. I was in and out with it during my college years so the games that I have played heavily are 2K11, 2K12, 2K15, 2K16, 2K17, and this year's installment.

Word to the wise: I'm a MyCareer-type of player. I'm done with 5v5 basketball games because it's just boring to me now.

Playing Live was SO fun compared to 2K because I felt like I was able to reasonably grind my player to a reasonable level and be able to compete. 2K was great with MyCareer initially but then once microtransactions came into play, it turned me off. I'm wise with my money, so I'm not going to splurge X amount of dollars more (in addition to the $60) on a video game. 2K18's gameplay is great (has it's errors but what game doesn't) but the greediness of 2K rubs me the wrong way. This game is NOT for the casual gamer to enjoy, which is dumb in my opinion. I work full-time so I don't have time to play the game as much, but when I am playing it's kinda like "What's the point?" It takes months to get your player to a respectable level to where people will play with you at the Park (stopped playing park months ago). Pro-Am/Walk-On is normally what I do now, but even then, the grind to get your player to "99 overall" really shot this game in the foot.

Anyway, I ended borrowing my bro's NBA Live and I enjoyed it. Not perfect at all, but feels like less of a grind/burden than 2K which may be the direction that I personally need to go in to enjoy basketball gaming again.

That being said, I'm not buying 2K19 next year, which is going to be different for me since I've been playing it hard for so long... even though I, like a lot of people, was raised on NBA Live (Live 2005 is still one of the best games, comparable to 2K11). I'm going all in on Live next year due to the price difference, casual play, and better (in my opinion) career mode.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:50 AM   #8
MVP

Earl1963's Arena

OVR: 11

I didnít know comparing the 2 games were aloud on this forum. Anyways I have always enjoyed the Live series way more than 2k.

Quicker to get lots of games in in a much shorter time than 2k.
Better atmosphere.
Better and more realistic arena and jersey colors.
Fewer animations, but this is a plus for me.
And way way more fun.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games »