Home

NBA 2K Playgrounds 2 Trailer, Screenshots and Details - Release Date October 16

This is a discussion on NBA 2K Playgrounds 2 Trailer, Screenshots and Details - Release Date October 16 within the Other Basketball Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-18-2018, 12:17 PM   #25
Rookie

Celtics4Life's Arena

OVR: 0
Thumbs down Re: NBA 2K Playgrounds 2 Trailer, Screenshots and Details - Release Date October 16

Since I am running out of NBA game options I thought I'd give this game a shot. I mean I can't stand anything about 2k19 these days and Live was completely ruined for me after last patch for The One mode.

Fast forward to yesterday everything you read about this game is true. It's truly a HUGE disappointment. I really honestly think 2K should stop making NBA game aside for their die hard SIM only franchise players. Talk about a total disaster. I never bought 1 but I watched some videos and looked fun. As someone who like more arcade less super unrealistic CPU defense I thought this would be fun too. Boy was I completely wrong.

For starters the game feels so slow it's it's almost unplayable. NBA JAM players would run circles around anyone in this game. It's not even a little slow where you say okay I can deal with it. I mean it's REALLY REALLY REALLY slow. They note there is turbo boos but when you press or hold it still feels like the player is walking.

Dunk animations look good but don't get excited 75% don't go in. I mean why make a NBA JAM kind of game and expect people to have fun missing dunks? So far we have slow game with dunks missing so what do you do all game? Spam the steal button, take mid range jump shots, and layups. Yup, that's what you have to settle for in order to win. CPU is not overpowering in some levels at least unless you play super star of course. But, they do have this one top of the key 2 point shot that always goes in about 95% of the time. I guess that's the unmissable spot for all?

Anyways huge let down for me I was expecting so much more and hoped to relive some of my childhood memories of NBA JAM.

Also all the micro-transactions added to the game it's a awful illusion. They priced the game at 29.99 so lure you into buying but as many said no way you are going to unlock all those packs unless you spend more money. I for sure wasn't going to sit there for half a year to get some players I wanted. So I ended up dissing the $9.99 and even with MJ game is awful. MJ has all these great signature dunks and moves but most miss.

To sum it up 2K please do not make another NBA game and try to make it fun. We know what you did with my favorite mode My Player and now I know what you did to this game. Oh well back to Live I guess. I rather play super CPU defense in The One and earn skill points then touch any of these awful 2K games this year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-18-2018, 01:56 PM   #26
MVP

Earl1963's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: NBA 2K Playgrounds 2 Trailer, Screenshots and Details - Release Date October 16

I didn’t buy this game because of how they ruined the 1st one with unnecessary patches that made it impossible to hit open 3’s.

From the user reviews I have read on this new Playgrounds, sounds like it won’t even hit the bargain bin, more like the trash bin.
Old 10-18-2018, 02:06 PM   #27
Pro

OVR: 9
Re: NBA 2K Playgrounds 2 Trailer, Screenshots and Details - Release Date October 16

I concur with Celtics4Life on the game being slow and dunks failing as much as they work.

The turbo is useless. Using it with Clyde Drexler and Jimmy Butler I still get caught by guys like Timothy Mozgov. If you get out front on a break, the game will let the CPU defenders catch you.

Long range twos are more effective than dunks, and I know how to time the meter. Dunk attempts in the green area of the meter miss about 50% of the time.

Also keep this in mind for unlocking players. You do have the option to unlock specific players at the cost of 10,000 baller bucks (or whatever they call them). For comparison, a gold 5-pack of cards costs 1,500, silver 3,000, and platinum is like 5,000. And that is only an option for the players not locked into the season mode. Guys like Towns of Minnesota can apparently only be unlocked by completing the Wolves season. He doesn't show up in their roster of locked players. There must be a lot of players locked down this way, because the team with the most roster spots is Boston at 12. Most teams have 10 or less. If the advertising of over 400 players is true, then 100+ players are either locked into season mode or locked some other way. If it's season, you'll have to play 100+ seasons of 15 games each in order get them all without paying.

I feel ripped off paying $30 for this. That amount of money for an arcade game should get me most of the content. I'm fine with completing modes and challenges to get bonuses, but not to unlock all but the 10 players I got out of the couple of starter packs.
Old 10-19-2018, 05:12 PM   #28
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtics4Life
...and even with MJ game is awful. MJ has all these great signature dunks and moves but most miss.
This is what I was alluding to earlier . . . for some reason when using MJ with his signature moves the shot meter stays red most of the time. Very frustrating especially in a close game.

I know I'm in the minority big time but I actually like the game and so do my boys.
Old 10-20-2018, 09:58 PM   #29
Rookie

Williekemp15's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewk
I caved. I enjoyed the first one despite hating the rebounding mechanics. Only played a couple games and looked around the menus a bit. More to come after some more time with it tonight.

Since someone mentioned the rosters. They got worse. Maybe players will be added as DLC (Ugh). Fewer players on almost every team. Seems like more current and less legends. Celtics had 21 in PG1 but now have 12 players. Bucks went from 12 to 10. Somehow Yi JianLian is on the Bucks but not Archibald, Dantley or even Middelton. WTF. No David Robinson on the Spurs.

Players are slower, which is odd for an arcade game. They feel too sluggish now.

This is the anti-NBA. 3-pointers are set to what seems less than sim-like percentages. No green area in the shot bar behind the 3 point line, even with guys like Jimmy Butler and Cylde Drexler. You are much better off taking a long 2.

Rebound seem better, bit still not quite right. Stealing is easier.

Courts can be selected in the options since there is no longer a tournament option. Can also select type of ball and win conditions (time limit, first to X points).

Still have to win games to earn "points" to get card packs, but they made it more complicated with things like VC as well as baller bucks, splitting card packs into 3 tiers, and adding useless crap like swag items. Have to play some more to see if the pace of unlocking players is similar to PG1 or if they made it harder to encourage using real dollars to unlock things.

Right now $30 seems like too much for this. Most upset about the degraded rosters and slower play.

David Robinson is the Spurs reward for completing season mode with them. Each team has a reward player. Now Tim Duncan missing is just weird

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
NFL: Tennessee Titans
Old 10-21-2018, 09:06 AM   #30
Pro

OVR: 9

So that's where Robinson went. Still, teams like the Celtics went from 21 players in PG1 to 12 in PG2. Where did they all go?

BTW, you have to WIN the season, not just complete it. I got to the second round of the playoffs with the Wolves and did not unlock towns. If you don't win the championship you unlock nothing.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:17 AM   #31
Rookie

I Love this game!!! Classic how games use to be... more games need to be this was so the narrative can be changed... The more you play the game the more you are rewarded!!! Such a breath of fresh air... Even though this game is arcade it has some simulation elements!! Not everyone can just spam buttons and make an open 3 pointer or Dunk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-21-2018, 01:37 PM   #32
Rookie

the 3 pointers are sad as well because how can u have a player at 80% 3 pointer shooter but yet only one of 18 got in. Something aint right with this bull****.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games »