Home

Basketball Classics on Steam

This is a discussion on Basketball Classics on Steam within the Other Basketball Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-07-2019, 07:55 PM   #1
Member of Rush Nation

CujoMatty's Arena

OVR: 4
Basketball Classics on Steam

I stumbled onto this game while visiting NLSC website. Andrew from there highly recommended it and It had great user reviews as well. Figured for $10 why not??

It is a really great retro game. Think Double Dribble with smart minigames and some modern game mechanics(shot meter).

Things I like:

The soundtrack. It's very 8-bit catchy goodness.

The graphics. This is some of the best 8-bit pixel art iv'e seen in a game. The little overlays when you hit a three make me smile. The TNT halftime panel with no faces. It's all just very cleverly done.

Simple gameplay. The rub with simple gameplay and three button control is that simplicity and boredom can go hand in hand. So its great when a game is easy to pick up and play but a lot of times that translates into shallow gameplay. Although there is obviously not anywhere near the depth of a modern sports game, this one has enough that I keep wanting to keep coming back for more.

Decent modes. You can tell the developer is really attempting to add serious substance and what is here now is a great step. There is exhibition, story and season. I think there is alot that can be expanded in these modes but from everything iv'e seen it seems like the developer is very active in the super small community and has a genuine desire to make the game as deep as possible.

Rosters. I commend them for making so many different years for rosters and the amount of player likenesses is very impressive. They are walking a fine line it seems but they probably aren't on anyone's radar yet.

What I don't like or am not sure of yet:

The plays. I commend them for the effort and attempt at depth but i'm not sure the plays add anything and they are just kinda weird. If you pick a play you warp to the starting point and its extremely jarring. Once the play starts the player has this ghost effect that also isn't very appealing on the eyes. It's a run and gun game. Defense is not really existent so i'm not sure why its even necessary to call plays.

The difficulty. I am finding even the hardest level too easy. I'm hoping it's something they look into.

A game like this really needs an in game roster editor. You can mod the game very easily but it's one of those things that need to be added if they want to appeal to more people.

The rosters. Its a positive and negative. I sure wish they had all teams in the rosters. It's only 16 as of now.

Here are some gameplay vids. The game comes with a bunch of player likeness teams but no license. I have edited team and player names and made some Raptors courts. Thanks to R4ZOR for the modding tutorials.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2019, 07:05 AM   #2
All Star

OVR: 35
Re: Basketball Classics on Steam

This game has been on my radar for a while. I agree about the in-game editor, but it's cool that you were able to do some on your own. It would also be nice if they utitlized Steam's Workshop to share creations/edits. Once basketball rolls around, I might consider picking this up.

And great job on those Raptor courts!
Old 08-14-2019, 03:54 AM   #3
Member of Rush Nation

CujoMatty's Arena

Made a CEBL(Canadian Elite Basketball League) Mod

All 6 teams. Edited player names and authentic courts. Download link in description. Instructions included in download.

Old 08-14-2019, 04:39 AM   #4
Member of Rush Nation

CujoMatty's Arena

I also edited the rosters for the 2020 season. All 30 Teams. Edited Names. Edited profile pics And authentic courts for every team.

Old 03-26-2020, 12:41 AM   #5
Just started!

OVR: 0

Hey everyone!

Josh here from Namo Gamo, the devs behind Basketball Classics. We became aware of the OS forums due to @CujoMatty's very impressive modding work on our game! Been lurking ever since. Thanks @CujoMatty!

Anyway, I wanted to drop in and let you all know that we're running a 50% off sale – our biggest ever – until April 1 on Steam. Trying to do our little part in these crazy COVID-19 times. Hope it helps alleviate in a small way some of the hardship so many are going through.

Thanks and be safe out there!

Josh
Namo Gamo

Basketball Classics: 5 on 5 Pro Basketball born from the golden era of sports games. This spiritual successor to the 8-bit ballers bridges the gap between retro and today’s simulation games.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-14-2021, 11:13 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 0

I just discovered this game and felt the need to bump this thread to help support the devs.

BC is an impressive Tecmo Bowlesque take on basketball. I'll mostly echo OP's comments on pros and cons. It's a fun, quick play basketball game where possessions are quick enough that you can get in a game that feels substantial in 12-15 minutes. It would be nice if it was a little harder, as I could see that taking away from long-term replayability, but for now, it's been great for getting in quick sessions.

WARNING: the music is super catchy.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games »