Home

Strat-o-matic Football

This is a discussion on Strat-o-matic Football within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-02-2004, 08:02 PM   #1
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Strat-o-matic Football

Something I enjoy doing is playing an involved board game that makes one think.

With that in mind, I came across a football board game, Strat-o-matic Football. Initially it looks decent, but I can't find a review for it. Has anyone here played it or have any comments on it? How involved and detailed is it, and how high-quality of a game (aesthetically and gameplay-wise) is it?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-02-2004, 09:22 PM   #2
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64
Re: Strat-o-matic Football

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krioniq
Something I enjoy doing is playing an involved board game that makes one think.

With that in mind, I came across a football board game, Strat-o-matic Football. Initially it looks decent, but I can't find a review for it. Has anyone here played it or have any comments on it? How involved and detailed is it, and how high-quality of a game (aesthetically and gameplay-wise) is it?
it's a fun game. The PC version of the board game from STrat is very good. I am in a draft league for that. The PC version has online play so you can play basically the board game online against others.
Old 12-02-2004, 09:46 PM   #3
MVP

Jwally's Arena

OVR: 8

I used to play this with my dad all the time, since he's not into video games. Basically, It's a football strategy game where you choose where to blitz, what recievers to double team, where to run/throw the ball, and who to give the ball to. The game has very basic and complex rules, whichever way you want to play.

I think this game is very fun if you have someone to play it with that also likes board games. It is a nice change of pace from video games.

I would also recommend picking up Strat-O-Matic baseball if you enjoy baseball as well.
Cincinnati Bearcats

Old 12-02-2004, 11:40 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34

Its very good, back in the day when Intellivision football was the best video representation of the sport, we turnd to stratomatic for a realistic simulation of the sport.

We then switched to Lance Haffner Football on the Commodore 64. That way we could compile stats on the computer and not have to worry about spilling a softdrink all over our Mead Trapper Keeper filled with hand written stats from our Stratomatic Football seasons. I even had the USFL expansion set for it, Great Game. Every Sports fan should play the board game at least once.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:41 AM   #5
Hall Of Fame

LingeringRegime's Arena

OVR: 47

Anyone play this still? I got the Baseball game and I love it. If the Football game is remotely close in terms of realism and stats, I am going to pick it up this month.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-14-2010, 11:26 AM   #6
Banned

OVR: 18

I used to be a sports board game junkie.

But I was from the Statis Pro school. I did own and play Stratomatic football. It was back in 1986. It is a very good game too.

I do prefer Statis Pro. It plays much quicker and has better solitare rules.

Statis Pro Baseball is the bomb. You can play a game in 30-40 minutes.

Statis Pro Football is very complex and usually it takes at least an hour to play alone.

I would lean to Statis Pro as they do not use dice. They use what is called the fast action card method. You flip the cards to get all your results.

Anyway good luck in your football board game adventure. I have not touched the football board games in 20 years. But from time to time I will whip out my statis pro baseball and Title Bout Board games.

Awesome stuff!!!
Old 09-14-2010, 12:31 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

LingeringRegime's Arena

OVR: 47

Thanks man. I only play solo so I will try to find out where I can order.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:24 PM   #8
Pro

OVR: 10

I used to play with a couple of friends a very long time ago (i'am 48). As far as buying...I think it is expensive, plus u got to get the card sets.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »