Home

Thats it!! I'm sticking with 2K5

This is a discussion on Thats it!! I'm sticking with 2K5 within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-26-2005, 10:33 PM   #17
MVP

dbeth's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Thats it!! I'm sticking with 2K5

THANK YOU GRAPHIK!!! Took the words right out of my mouth.

There's always been something driving me nuts about EA's version of football that I couldn't quite put a finger on. It's weird...my attention span when playing NCAA is about 5-10 minutes anymore. It's just so old. I have relegated myself to the fact that I won't be getting NCAA '06 this year and won't go farther than looking at the box of Madden '06. I still play NCAA 2005, but mainly for the create-a-team conference dynasty I have going, and the glitches don't really bother me, because I don't really care about them frankly.

Now, I have a ps2, so the updates for 2k5 won't be as drastic as those on the XBox, but I'm having a BLAST playing in the league I've been in for the past year (just keep continuing seasons, baby!) and am glad T2 is keeping them up for another year. Get a great bunch of guys, have drafts every season, talk smack on the boards, and play some great games.

2k isn't dead with me...it was the best version of video football I've ever played. I don't get nitpicky with bugs; it was fun to me. Graphik, I love a defensive battle as much as you, and think it does the best there is.

BRAVO!

Go Badgers!
Old 07-26-2005, 11:03 PM   #18
Cr*m*n*lly *nd*rr*t*d

LetsGoPitt's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos81
I must be god at EA Sports games, because I have never had a problem with the CPU coming back.

Don't take that the wrong way, I know it's there; they've admitted it; I've just never had a problem with it.
I wouldn't call it "catch-up" logic per se, because I had a 59-7 killing of Ohio (they scored first) followed by a 77-0 demolishing of Youngstown State the other day. In years past, the game would have been at least 77-35.

I do agree with the big play problem, however it's not quite as bad as it had been. I think it was 2003 where the CPU would regularly have plays of -2, 0, and 89 yards and that's about it.
“In my lifetime, we've gone from Eisenhower to George W. Bush. We've gone from John F. Kennedy to Al Gore. If this is evolution, I believe that in twelve years, we'll be voting for plants.” - Lewis Black
Old 07-27-2005, 05:44 AM   #19
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

I've never been really convinced that catch up logic exists although most people believe it. I simply believe that EA has traditionally made the CPU better at passing partly because of the flaws in the passing game (jet packing for one). Once the CPU gets down, it starts to pass like crazy and simply exploits some of these flaws to score a bunch of points. Comeback AI is more like bad passing programming but who knows?
Old 07-27-2005, 10:42 AM   #20
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn6
So one problem(and it may be annoying, but it is bearable) is going to keep you from playing a game that you like so much? Maybe it's just me, but if I can say that I like every aspect of how the game plays, on the most part, yet am going to let one "problem" stop me from playing it I must not like the game as much as I say.

IMO I find it silly that one problem would stop you from playing a game with more good than bad.(Don't take this as flaming, because it's not how it was meant. I realize there are flaws in this game, but I must say I enjoy the comeback AI because it keeps me from blowing out the CPU every game and keeps the game fun because I can never let my guard up.)

Thats just my point, its unbearable to me. Its is my "game killer" so to speak. I hate it with a passion. Its not only 1 problem, but a problem that ruins the entire game experience for me. Whenever I play the game, no matter how good the game is going, I always keep in the back of my mind that somehow, someway, the cpu will manage to screw up a perfect thing. And it never fails. Like some have mentioned, you can usually get 3 good quaters out of EA football then in the 4th, all hell breaks loose.

Some ppl see 3 quaters, I've broken it down to the 2 minute drive of the first half as well as the entire 4th quater. And depending on if you have a big lead going into halftime, the cpu steps it up in the 3rd. But thats just my analysis. I've played many games of Madden and a nice chunk of games of NCAA since the move to next gen to come up with that conclusion. And I've always, always in any EA game, considered the highest difficulty nothing more than a cheap mode for the cpu. They dont just raise the difficulty of the AI, they also make cheap runs and use bogus tactics to keep the game competitive. I've always shyed away from the highest difficulty.

But enough of that, 2K5 to me is my new Baseball Pro 98. Back when Triple Play was still around, World Series Baseball was a Dreamcast exclusive and the only other baseball games around was All Star Baseball and MLB, I was continuously enjoying Baseball Pro 98 cause I felt it was the most realistic sim of the sport. And that carried on for 4 years before I moved on to try other games. Since EA has destroyed any chances of me enjoying my football nirvana for the next 5 years, I'll seek out an older alternative which is 2K5.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:36 AM   #21
Pro

OVR: 6

I'm having none of the problems you speak of in my ps2 version. I did have one very crazy game though where I beat Army (#119) 174-7 with Penn St. Definitely no comeback AI there. I've had some great games though, the best being against Notre Dame in year 1 where it took me double OT to beat them. And Notre Dame had several sustained dives of 10 plays or more. The won the time of posession battle. The game winning play came when my Impact OLB pasted their QB causing a fumble which my DB picked up and took to the house.

I also just had another great game against #6 Iowa in year 3 that I won 37-30. They were on their final drive and my impact MLB picked off a pass in the EZ to seal it. Iowa ran a ball control game and dominated me in TOP. Very nice sustained drives with a nice mix of playcalling.

And there have been many more similar games. Had a great National Title game against Miami at the end of year 2. But I'll stop boring with details.

Sorry to hear you haven't had similar experiences.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-28-2005, 05:32 PM   #22
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNGold
I did have one very crazy game though where I beat Army (#119) 174-7 with Penn St. Definitely no comeback AI there.
Maybe no comeback AI , but still on some pretty shakey ground if we are calling this a sim.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:43 PM   #23
Pro

OVR: 6

Well I've been able to do pretty much the same at some point in just about every sports game I've ever played. Including 2K5. I beat the Pats 87-7 on Legend and 80-14 with the "Zeroed Out" sliders. Both in year 1.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:30 AM   #24
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNGold
Well I've been able to do pretty much the same at some point in just about every sports game I've ever played. Including 2K5. I beat the Pats 87-7 on Legend and 80-14 with the "Zeroed Out" sliders. Both in year 1.
I am glad I don't have those skills. Most sports games have a challenging level for me.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »