Home

2004: The Golden Era for Football Games

This is a discussion on 2004: The Golden Era for Football Games within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-06-2005, 06:19 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 32
Re: 2004: The Golden Era for Football Games

I just picked up GD 2004. Not bad. Paid under 3 dollars and I might pick up 2004 just to hold me over until I get my Madden 2006 from Gamefly. The games are so cheap, so its not a big deal. Its just nice to have other football games beside EA.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:15 PM   #10
Banned

OVR: 17

I actually still play Fever 2004. It has some nice fluid movement that keeps you playing more. Sure it may be slightly exaggerated and the actual strategy might be pretty thin, but the game plays a fun game of twitch football
Old 12-14-2005, 12:48 AM   #11
MVP

Rickster101's Arena

OVR: 20

The Feaver series was pretty good for what it did for video Football games and I still have my 2004 copy but what I wanna know is if anybody here still has their "Front Page Sports" Football titles for the pc...the greatest series of simulation Football ever...Football Pro 98...the Godfather of what we're playing today...a fantastic game and series IMHO with the most realistic features ever in a Football sim...now thats what I call "The Golden Era for Football Games" coming from the ole school its super deep and not for the faint of heart...one of the best ever!!!

Holla Back y'all
Rickster101
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-14-2005, 10:07 AM   #12
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickster101
The Feaver series was pretty good for what it did for video Football games and I still have my 2004 copy but what I wanna know is if anybody here still has their "Front Page Sports" Football titles for the pc...the greatest series of simulation Football ever...Football Pro 98...the Godfather of what we're playing today...a fantastic game and series IMHO with the most realistic features ever in a Football sim...now thats what I call "The Golden Era for Football Games" coming from the ole school its super deep and not for the faint of heart...one of the best ever!!!

Holla Back y'all
Rickster101

I believe you can DL Front Page Sports Football for free somewhere. I dont remember what version it was. Was'nt it only a 96 and a 98 edition? I'll check it out and provide the link for those interested.

BTW, its legal. Seirra is pretty much giving some of they;re games out as shareware now.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:15 AM   #13
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphik
I believe you can DL Front Page Sports Football for free somewhere. I dont remember what version it was. Was'nt it only a 96 and a 98 edition? I'll check it out and provide the link for those interested.

BTW, its legal. Seirra is pretty much giving some of they;re games out as shareware now.

All I found was the 95 version but here is the linkage anyways.

Front Page Sports Football 95

Also check this site out for some classics.
Old 01-01-2006, 04:00 PM   #14
Hall Of Fame

cima's Arena

OVR: 5

Technically, the 2004 games (or most of them at least) came out in 2003...

Like Madden 06 came out in 2005. It's always been like that.

I agree with the 2004 statement though...but only because we got NCAA 2005 and NFL 2K5. 2 of my favorite football gamed.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:36 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt
Just thinking about the great football games that came out in 2004. NFL2k4, NCAA 2004, Madden 2004, NFL Fever 2004, Blitz 2004, Gameday 2004, and Gamebreaker 2004. 7 football games in 2004 and some are still classic. NCAA 2004 was the last special NCAA game this generation and might be the best football game this gen. Madden 2004 played great and NFL2k4 showed all the potential of being a great game and a great franchise.

Now, we have 2 football games. The things we took for granted just 2 years ago.

Peace

yeah, that madden and that college 04 was hot, that otha trash is wack
EA ALL DAY
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-03-2006, 11:36 AM   #16
Stop! Homer Time!

theaub's Arena

OVR: 35

NCAA 2004 is still, IMO the best college football game ever. 2006 has more animations, and better graphics, and the like, but the core gameplay of 2004 is still better then any other game in it's genre for the following reasons:

1) You can complete 5-10 yard slants over the middle
2) You can not always complete 30-50 yard bombs downfield in single/double coverage.
3) In 2006, you rarely see double coverage downfield, thus making it very easy to complete the deep pass. In 2004, I played a game where there were only 3 times out of probably 20 that the WR was not double covered
4) In 2006, any dive play can be taken to the outside for 10 yards. In 2004, if you try that, you get stuffed, but if you follow your blocks, it's almost always a 3-5 yard gain, which is correct.
5) You can't jump over defenders to catch a pass, or they will smoke you and you will drop the ball 90% of the time

Also, there are some other reasons why it is better:
6) Since I have never been hit with the midmajor in the championship game bug (although I know a lot have), it's very nice seeing the BCS not having a C+ overall team in one of their games. Miami and VT in the Big East really improves the conferences in general, and creates more balance.
7) A backfield of Jason Campbell, Carnell Williams, Ronnie Brown and Brandon Jacobs. Enough said.
8) Polls are done better. You don't drop 8 spots after a loss to the #3 team in the country. Generally, unless you are upset by a horrible team, you drop 4-5 spots, like in the real polls. Speaking of upsets,
9) In 2006, it is very common to see teams like Florida upset by Louisiana Tech. While this does happen IRL (looks at Oklahoma), it is very rare. In 2004, the upsets are toned down, and while you may see one shocker, you won't see the 2-3 a week like in '06.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »