Home

The History of Football Gaming

This is a discussion on The History of Football Gaming within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-15-2005, 01:07 AM   #1
ULTRAAAA!!!!

Cyros's Arena

OVR: 30
The History of Football Gaming

For all you old timers out there that can remember most of these games:

http://www.gamespot.com/features/613..._flashtop_read

My Video Game Streams
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2005, 01:13 AM   #2
MVP

Rickster101's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: The History of Football Gaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyros
For all you old timers out there that can remember most of these games:

http://www.gamespot.com/features/613..._flashtop_read

Thanks bro for keepin' us old school gamers in the know I'm gonna enjoy reading this...thanks again for lookin' out bro much appreciated.

Holla Back y'all
Rickster101
Old 08-15-2005, 01:16 AM   #3
ULTRAAAA!!!!

Cyros's Arena

No problem. I think I remember Joe Montana Football for the Genesis, or some old game on Sega where the TD celebration involved the two players doing the chest bump.

My Video Game Streams
Old 08-15-2005, 01:33 AM   #4
ULTRAAAA!!!!

Cyros's Arena

One thing though, they say Gameday died after the 2004 release but there was a Gameday 2005 release on PSone with Derrick Brooks on the cover. I couldn't believe it when I saw it this summer sitting in a Best Buy.

My Video Game Streams
Old 08-15-2005, 07:36 AM   #5
MVP

Rickster101's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyros
One thing though, they say Gameday died after the 2004 release but there was a Gameday 2005 release on PSone with Derrick Brooks on the cover. I couldn't believe it when I saw it this summer sitting in a Best Buy.

I remember all of these and almost forgot about some, it was a time when a lot of great ideas were just beginning to show signs of what we have today and in a way I'm somewhat the past in knowing where these games came from originated and how they got here feels good to know that what you guys chat about is really history repeating itself in a sense, more guys should really read this and then perhaps a greater appreciation for these games and programers would be realized it was tough trying to be number one, these days and now more then ever it truly is a business indeed but I remember a time when the imagination was the main focus instead of sales quota a stock options were the driving forces.

I've pretty much seen it all from a mere blip on a screen to a complicated mathimatical formula equating into individual attribute and God know what eles they're trying to do with this crazy thing know as "AI", "Hardcode",well its there but guys are putting to much into it and expecting instant gradification because its not right well after alls been said and done its still a program with limitations and will never be perfected still requiring that one missing "element"...the human instinct and error to be flawd at times after all...we're only human playing a game no matter how simulated it is it has its limatations and should have errors not large one but enough to let you know that to error is to be human thats how real life goes and the game will never be totally perfect at least not yet theres still more to come which will eventully become "History" also its only a matter of time trust me I've seen alot of things in this business of Football video gaming and am still fascinated at how the human mind pushes the boundarys even in a video game.

Holla Back y'all
Rickster101
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2005, 12:08 PM   #6
Banned

daflyboys's Arena

OVR: 27

I know we're talking primarily about electronic video games, but I want to mention 4 football games I and some other 40+ crowd might remember, pre-dating the electronic/virtual era:

* Electric Football: occupied hours and hours of gameplay, primarily all of the crazy unrealistic formations you could do.... oh and don't forget, turn the vibration knob up: EARTHQUAKE!!!!! Also, needed to keep a lot of Q-tips around.... cutting off the ends made great substitute footballs when the originals were lost or too beat up to play with.

* Hall of Fame Game: don't know if anyone would remember this one. Basically it was a big box with a light bulb inside and a translucent top. There were two pack of thick paper cards; one offense, one defense. Each player would pick an offensive and defensive play. Each offensive card had a thick line drawn in all different directions, primarily going north and south (it looked like a stock market graph turned 90 degrees!). The defensive card had squares, X's, red dots and other characters on it. Basically you put one card on top of the other, turned on the lightbulb and the cards would be revealed. If any part of the stock market line touched a defensive players character on the card, it was a stop, fumble, INT or whatever the legend said it was. Pretty unique.

* 3M's Thinking Man's Football: Basically involved a football field, grease pencil, ruler, slider card to compare rolls on the dice vs. play called, vs shift called by the defense. Yes it was for a thinking man, but when it came down to it, it involved luck! Actually, if you look at the original "Brian's Song" movie, Gail Sayers and Brian Piccolo are playing this in his hospital room!

* Mattel's Talking Football: This game was it! 10 offensive play recordettes (smaller than coasters), each with 6 defensive formations on the back. You had a special player device that would give a voice play-by-play of the record (depending on what play was picked and what defense formation was the chosen). There were also 3 specialty discs for situations that might result from a given play: fumble, INT, kickoff, etc. Very cool game for it's time and I still have a working copy of this..... maybe I'll stick it on Ebay sometime....lol

Anybody remember any of these?
Old 08-15-2005, 01:19 PM   #7
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
* Electric Football: occupied hours and hours of gameplay, primarily all of the crazy unrealistic formations you could do.... oh and don't forget, turn the vibration knob up: EARTHQUAKE!!!!! Also, needed to keep a lot of Q-tips around.... cutting off the ends made great substitute footballs when the originals were lost or too beat up to play with.

Holy ****, thanks man, I did'nt know that. I lost all my Electric Football little foam footballs. In fact, I think I have one left. I was gonna eventually go up to the official website and order some more but the cotton swab might do the trick. In fact, its seems better than the original footballs. Thanks alot.

I'm still a EF gamer. Have'nt played a full game in a while but I'm always tryna get friends to play it. I'm just the only guy around I know that knows the ins and outs of football which you need to play this game.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:03 PM   #8
Timbers - Jags - Hokies

The GIGGAS's Arena

OVR: 55

What a feature. Part of me wishes I was born 10 years earlier so I could be around for Tecmo actually coming out.

Member: OS Uni Snob Assoc.
OS OT Post Champ '11

Twitter: @TheGIGGAS_OS
Xbox Live: TheGIGGAS
3DS: 1349-7755-3870

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »