Home

Does anyone find humor in the EA vs. 2K5 rivalry??

This is a discussion on Does anyone find humor in the EA vs. 2K5 rivalry?? within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-23-2005, 10:17 AM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Does anyone find humor in the EA vs. 2K5 rivalry??

This thing is funny in a lot of ways but it is also very sad. I guess since some people that post on this site are older and have an understanding that these are just video games that are meant for fun (like me) understand was this is funny when they read these things. It is kind of sad to sometimes read in these threads and some people that always meniton that 2K has this over Madden or Madden has this over 2K that everybody has their own side. This is a topic that doesn't require all of this bickering and bitching. It is funny that when it is said that "it doesn't play like a real football game is played" well damn it is a video game look at the real game on TV to see how a real football game is played. Sometimes you would think that some people want the games to be scripted or play a certain way. They are video games people they are made to entertain and relax (some people).
Old 08-23-2005, 11:28 AM   #18
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooberstabone
The situation I ran into is this. My friends and I would get together and play videogames (Madden.) So I go out and try something new (2k). I have a blast and so I tell my buddies, my boys, my pals... "Hey guys, check this out..." but they refused, refused, REFUSED!

Have you ever wanted to share an experience with someone you loved, lol... Sure they have a right to refuse, but because you're such good friends, you want THEM to enjoy what you're enjoying. I can't speak for everyone, but that's the reason I've tried in the past to "convince" Madden fans. I felt that if MY friends were like that, thousands more may be too, lol.

Maaaannnn, same thing here. The funny thing about my firends are that I'm the one that got them into sports games in the first place. When I first met my cliq, they were knee deep in Mortal Kombat 1 and Street Fighter tourneys. I used to bring over EA sports games and we started playing them all multiplayer. Years down the line, they buy EA games but I believe its only because the games have become a standard in most households. Me on the other hand, I've moved around and experimented with other games since then. My friends take a "if it aint broke, dont fix it" approach to games so Madden as well as NBA Live are they're choice games because they have never let them down. Even though every once in a while, EA throws a stinker at them, they just refuse to try something diffrent. I've tried and tried to get them to play other games but they are so accustomed to the way EA designs they're games, that its like tryna go from automatic to stick shift. Something that requires time to learn but time is'nt what they're willing to invest.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:33 PM   #19
Pro

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphik
Maaaannnn, same thing here. The funny thing about my firends are that I'm the one that got them into sports games in the first place. When I first met my cliq, they were knee deep in Mortal Kombat 1 and Street Fighter tourneys. I used to bring over EA sports games and we started playing them all multiplayer. Years down the line, they buy EA games but I believe its only because the games have become a standard in most households. Me on the other hand, I've moved around and experimented with other games since then. My friends take a "if it aint broke, dont fix it" approach to games so Madden as well as NBA Live are they're choice games because they have never let them down. Even though every once in a while, EA throws a stinker at them, they just refuse to try something diffrent. I've tried and tried to get them to play other games but they are so accustomed to the way EA designs they're games, that its like tryna go from automatic to stick shift. Something that requires time to learn but time is'nt what they're willing to invest.
The happy ending to the story is that one day, one of them picked up NFL 2k3 for like 8 bucks and fell in love with it. Ironically, I didn't like 2k3 and bought MADDEN that year, lol. Anyway, when 2k4 came out, now there were 2 of us in the "fight" and now all of us only play the 2k series. Also, one of the hardest core Madden guys now can't STAND Madden and can't bear to play it anymore after playing 2k.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:12 PM   #20
Banned

Bobolini's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCTrojan83
Im wondering if anyone reads the EA/2K5 bashing threads and just laughs at how serious people taking the games and their performance, gameplay, realness, and innovations.

I mean in reality everything that 2K5 fans say about Madden can be said about 2K5 too by Madden fans.

*NOTICE*
IF you want to start flaming leave now or don't post. This is for the few that think the EA vs. 2K5 war is a little on the rediculous side and get a chuckle out of it now and then!
What truly is sad is that the debate will fade because the 2k series is all but dead. Coutesy of a company I feel can't handle competition. That's what's Sad!
Old 08-23-2005, 01:53 PM   #21
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

Quote:
The happy ending to the story is that one day, one of them picked up NFL 2k3 for like 8 bucks and fell in love with it. Ironically, I didn't like 2k3 and bought MADDEN that year, lol. Anyway, when 2k4 came out, now there were 2 of us in the "fight" and now all of us only play the 2k series. Also, one of the hardest core Madden guys now can't STAND Madden and can't bear to play it anymore after playing 2k.

Well, to get a better feeling on how casual 2 of my friends are: 1 of them likes to blow the cpu out the water. He plays Madden on Pro mode and gets a kick out of beating the cpu 88-0. He likes to pad his stats and come up with some outrageous numbers. He checks the stats to see if all of his guys are leading the league and he only plays to win. Go 16-0 and demolish his way to a super bowl victory. He's strickly a pick a play and hike em type of player. He makes no offensive and defensive adjustments. Picks the same 2 plays on defense, does'nt believe in punting on 4th down and makes excuses for every single thing that goes bad. If the cpu bust a 70 yards run play on him, the cpu cheated. If he cant get a TD, the cpu cheated. If he throws an incomplete pass, he pressed the wrong botton and stares at the controller like it was the controllers fault. If he cant break a tackle, the botton was stuck. I literally shake my head in digust while watching him play. This is a 35 year old by the way....

My other guy, he gets a boner for injuries. When I told him that Madden added a injury slider, he immediately quit the game he was playing and searched for that slider. Once he found it, he jacked it up as full as it can get. Both in game and simulated. Now when watching him play, players are going down once every 3 downs and he absolutely loves it that way. He also kinda likes beating the cpu but not to the point that the one above does. He plays default All Pro with small slider tweaks to his advantage. The very first thing he does when looking at stats and such is check out the injuries for each team. He loves him some Career ending injuries. The injuries are'nt that much of a big deal, his fracnhise, he can play it the way he wants but I dont like how he plays the game.

He plays most of the game as a defensive end. Now in past Maddens, one of the cheese exploits that many ppl used was bringing your DE way outside the box and running around the block to get to the QB. He still does this against the cpu. It worked in the past but from the times I've watched him play, this cheese tactic does'nt work as good. Yet, he still does it every down. He's convinced that its the only way DEs and DTs can get to the QB. Next, he's another one of those pick a play and hike em types. They find the best money plays and use them constantly. He hikes the ball with about 30 seconds left on the play clock and I've suggested to him plenty of times about the accelerated clock feature. Told him all the benefits but he does'nt care.

Last but not least, he still creates super-human players to use in his franchise. Not much of a big deal because I'm sure there are still ppl out there that do this. For those ppl I just gotta say "Come on, be realistic". You are not a 6'6", 320lb Linebacker with 99 speed and 99 tackles. It just does'nt happen that way in real life. I understand you want your created player to have some impact but to keeps things real, you gotta have a fair trade off. Drop some talent for your created guy. Dont drop busters for salary cap space for room to house your Pro Bowler. My guy keeps all the current talent and adds himself to make a power house squad. I cant take it anymore.

Back in the days, we used to create ourselves. You know, all star potential. Throw em on a roster and make that guy Hall Of Famer material in his 3rd season. But as we got a little older and the games got alot more advanced. We create ourselves but this time more realistic and adverage. Nothing to spectacular. We want him to be a all-star but he must earn it like the rest. Nowadays, I dont do the create a player thing no more. Have'nt done it in years. But my 2 friends are still stuck in the glory days of taking advantage of the cpu. What fun is sports if you cant lose? It becomes more of a RPG or FPS than a sports game. I simply dont get it.

Anyway, you can see why a game like 2K would'nt be right for them. I came to that understanding last year when I tried to convert them. They need simple minded gameplay and a uninteresting opponent to keep them happy. Not saying Madden is simple minded gameplay. Its just that you could always play the game ethier way. As a simple pick up and play football game or you could utilize its features and make it a thinking mans game. They obviously choose the first option.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2005, 02:17 PM   #22
Pro

OVR: 4

Man, that's gotta be tough to stomach, lol.

Yeah, I remember trying to wax the computer 100-0 on the first Madden. Dime CB Blitz with any team with a fast DB was a sack every play. Now, I still want to win but I don't mind losing as long as it feels legit. I love 2k because once I beat the computer, it STAYED beaten... no comeback A.I. junk. Conversely, some games I just can't do anything against the CPU.

As for creating myself, I still do, but rarely put myself on a team, lol. I make myself as real as possible, so I always have a low rating. But it's fun seeing this scrawny HB running for his life and getting killed by 300 lb. linemen, because that' what would happen in real life!
Old 08-23-2005, 03:59 PM   #23
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

Quote:
Man, that's gotta be tough to stomach, lol.

Yeah, I remember trying to wax the computer 100-0 on the first Madden. Dime CB Blitz with any team with a fast DB was a sack every play. Now, I still want to win but I don't mind losing as long as it feels legit. I love 2k because once I beat the computer, it STAYED beaten... no comeback A.I. junk. Conversely, some games I just can't do anything against the CPU.

As for creating myself, I still do, but rarely put myself on a team, lol. I make myself as real as possible, so I always have a low rating. But it's fun seeing this scrawny HB running for his life and getting killed by 300 lb. linemen, because that' what would happen in real life!

Only thing I plan on doing as far as Create a Player is concerned is edit some rookie and give him my name. Of course its gotta be a first rounder but even the 1st round draft picks in 2K5 are just "alright".

As for my guys, the only thing I can stomach playing multiplyer with them is Smackdown, Halo or Burnout or something. Sports games are a no-no. I've finnally gotten to the point where I dont need another human for soem serious comp, the cpu fits me perfectly.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:20 PM   #24
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

Quote:
1 of them likes to blow the cpu out the water. He plays Madden on Pro mode and gets a kick out of beating the cpu 88-0. He likes to pad his stats and come up with some outrageous numbers. He checks the stats to see if all of his guys are leading the league and he only plays to win. Go 16-0 and demolish his way to a super bowl victory.
I remember doing this on the old Tecmo Bowl....It got boring after the first time. I just don't understand how this is enjoyable for people??? I also had a friend who used to score 100 goals in NHL 96....The irony was that he always tried to beat his previous score, and got frustrated if it didn't pan out. So basically he found a challenge, just one that didn't resemble hockey at all.

Quote:
My other guy, he gets a boner for injuries.

Perhaps the funniest comment I have ever read on this board.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »