Home

The CFL needs to do something!

This is a discussion on The CFL needs to do something! within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-28-2005, 03:56 PM   #1
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53
Icon13 The CFL needs to do something!

This saturday was the 2nd straight weekend where CFL fans had to endure the PA announcer and shoddy production values instead of commentary and good production values. This is because of the CBC lockout/strike situation.

Now I know the CFL has a 40+ year history with the CBC but this is just not acceptable. Nancy Lee (head of CBC sports) should hire the home team announcers to call the game. Instead we have to endure crap.

The CFL should yank the Saturday Night game away from the CBC until this situation is over. I know that CTV is the rights holder (as strange as that may seem they give the saturday slot to CBC) and I think they should take the Saturday game to TSN or let it go to Rogers Sportsnet.

I just hope this strike/lockout is over by the CFL playoffs. It'd be pretty sad to see playoff games with bad production and no commentary.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-28-2005, 04:28 PM   #2
NYG_Meth

VanCitySportsGuy's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: The CFL needs to do something!

I didn't know CTV was the rights holder. Are you sure? I thought CTV owns a part of TSN.

The Team 1040 synched their broadcast with the televised feed yesterday so there's no delay. I enjoyed watching the 3rd string QB rallying the team from a 10pt deficit with under 6 mins left for the victory.

David Braley thought the CBC mess was a joke. He wondered why there wasn't a quality control clause in the contract. He said once the CBC contract expires he's not so sure the CFL should go back. Personally TSN does a way better job than CBC but they can't carry all the games themselves because they don't have regional channels like Sportsnet. Hopefully CBC solves their problems soon. It's awful watching the game without announcers, interviews, pregame/halftime/postgame shows, lack of graphic overlays,etc....

Besides the CFL, the CBC lockout would also effect the NHL in October.
Old 08-28-2005, 04:32 PM   #3
binging

SPTO's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianflow
I didn't know CTV was the rights holder. Are you sure? I thought CTV owns a part of TSN.
CTV owns TSN hence they have the rights and leases it out to TSN. I got this from Keith Pelley who is in charge of a commission who's jurisdiction includes the tv product. At the time of the interview (this was after the Argo game) he said that the CFL wasn't pleased with what they saw and that CBC promised it would get better.

I have a feeling the CFL will force CBC to do something or lease it out to another network like RSN or TSN.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 08-28-2005, 05:33 PM   #4
Video Game Dev

Spear's Arena

OVR: 19

I dont think the CBC lockout will last until October in time for the NHL season, will it? That would put CBC over the edge, and be the biggest disappointment if HNIC first in over a year doesn't have commentators.

Join our Discord to learn more - https://discord.gg/v8aFWkmYMT!

http://www.varsityvideogame.com
https://www.spearinteractive.com
Old 08-28-2005, 06:58 PM   #5
Rookie

papasmurf's Arena

OVR: 2

i watched the replay of b.c. at sask. this morning on one of the direct tv sports channels. they had u.s. broadcasters on it, but im guessing that was just for us in the u.s.?

they didn't show the game last night and it was scheduled to be on. they also need to sack the commercial with the fruity designer guy, that's just distrubing and no way to market your fine product down here.

im curious to know what they ratings are for cfl games here in the states. im i one of only two people in the u.s. who cares, or is it actually gaining in popularity down here? if not it should be, if there's a niche for arena ball the cfl ought to be ten times more popular since it's at least 10 times better. in fact im not so sure that i don't like it as much as the nfl now.

i know i would rather watch a regular season cfl game than a preseason nfl game. but i would almost rather have a root canal than watch an entire nfl preseason football game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-28-2005, 07:06 PM   #6
NYG_Meth

VanCitySportsGuy's Arena

OVR: 23

The Argos/Ti-Cats game has been moved from CBC to TSN
http://tsn.ca/cfl/news_story.asp?id=134827

As for the US ratings, I'm not sure. I have to assume they are decent or else they wouldn't be televised in the US. The CFL has greatly expanded their US tv exposure. Although it's nothing like it was in 94 when the Grey Cup was shown on ESPN2 (of course there was CFL teams in the US at the time though).

The announcers yesterday in the US were former Cowboy Tony Hill and the Mavs radio announcer.
Old 08-28-2005, 08:34 PM   #7
binging

SPTO's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianflow
The Argos/Ti-Cats game has been moved from CBC to TSN
http://tsn.ca/cfl/news_story.asp?id=134827

As for the US ratings, I'm not sure. I have to assume they are decent or else they wouldn't be televised in the US. The CFL has greatly expanded their US tv exposure. Although it's nothing like it was in 94 when the Grey Cup was shown on ESPN2 (of course there was CFL teams in the US at the time though).

The announcers yesterday in the US were former Cowboy Tony Hill and the Mavs radio announcer.
THANK GOD!

BTW The CFL was aired on ESPN as early as 1980. I was watching a replay of a Grey Cup game and it was on ESPN at the time.

Old 08-29-2005, 12:42 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsmanTO
CTV owns TSN hence they have the rights and leases it out to TSN. I got this from Keith Pelley who is in charge of a commission who's jurisdiction includes the tv product. At the time of the interview (this was after the Argo game) he said that the CFL wasn't pleased with what they saw and that CBC promised it would get better.

I have a feeling the CFL will force CBC to do something or lease it out to another network like RSN or TSN.

I thought ESPN owns TSN?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »