Home

Initial AFL game impressions..

This is a discussion on Initial AFL game impressions.. within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-11-2006, 11:42 AM   #57
Rookie

OVR: 6
Re: Initial AFL game impressions..

I lost an overtime game last night 73-70 vs. the CPU. We both scored on our first drives and then they kick a field goal to win. My mouth dropped when the game was over. I guess I'm not given an opportunity to score on my second drive.

I'm still learning the rules of the AFL, but I guess the team that scores first on their second drive in overtime wins. Or, if I score first and stop them, I win.

I'm really enjoying this game.
Old 02-11-2006, 01:13 PM   #58
All Star

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by spin1993
I lost an overtime game last night 73-70 vs. the CPU. We both scored on our first drives and then they kick a field goal to win. My mouth dropped when the game was over. I guess I'm not given an opportunity to score on my second drive.

I'm still learning the rules of the AFL, but I guess the team that scores first on their second drive in overtime wins. Or, if I score first and stop them, I win.

I'm really enjoying this game.
Yeah, I know this is a rule. Each team gets one possesion, then after that if the score remains tied, it's sudden death.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:34 AM   #59
RIP Brodie!!!

CaptainZombie's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmakers
I don't know much about Arena Football but if the game is only $30 bucks and worth a purchase I'm definetly intersted in picking this game up.

Does anyone have any impressions they would like to share so I can get an idea of how the game plays?

Is there any negatives with gameplay?
Buy it.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:24 AM   #60
Fum police

ndeezlo's Arena

OVR: 31

haven't played a game yet but i already had a pretty sweet experience. Go into Blockbuster gamerush because I had about 60 bucks on my account, pick up the last copy of Arena football take it the cashier
She says "Nice, someone mis-priced it."

I got the game for 19.99 so I already win.

Kid Rock, "I'm the catalyst for everything."

Tumblred
Old 02-12-2006, 10:57 AM   #61
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
I just can't seem to get into it. I'll give it a little while though. If it doesn't work out I'll just trade it in on put it on Ebay. Think my problem is I didn;t know what I was getting into. I've never really watched Arena Football so it was totally new to me.
I'm having the same problem. I've watched Arena Football from time to time, but I'm not a huge fan. I think it's a little interesting to see how EA's been able to tweak the Madden engine, and for what it may mean for current gen Madden 2007. But outside of that, the gameplay's pretty bland and I'm just not feeling the "atmosphere" (if you can call it that). I liked watching players get knocked over walls but that got old after a short time. Then there's the soft Madden tackles that have made their way to the game, where too often defenders seem concerned with pushing offensive players to the ground than delivering hits/tackles. Still, the tackling system is a bit improved from Madden, in that animations seem more interruptible -players can get hit into the air then hit again while in the air, for example. It's still all one-on-one player interaction but animations don't drag on as long. The trash talk and arguing seems really contrived; players don't seem to react at all emotionally during/after a play then all of a sudden there's a trash talk - just seems forced.

It's not a horrible game, but don't think it's worth $30.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-12-2006, 12:13 PM   #62
MVP

Cletus's Arena

OVR: 15

For me, the game is just plain fun. If I wanted the total sim AFL experience, I would get off my tail, lift some weights and try to make it as an AFL player, but this is a videogame. I could care less about dark arenas and all the other stuff, because I realize it is a videogame and mistakes are going to be made, all I know is that I'm having a blast playing this game. As for the 30 bucks, and it not being worth it, I've killed off countless hours playing this instead of going to some movies or some local sporting events in which i'd most likely spend 50 bucks an evening at.
Old 02-12-2006, 12:44 PM   #63
Showtime

Jukeman's Arena

OVR: 46

Its a fun game but I find it funny how EA darken the arenas to hide the crowd so they wont have to make good ones, I used to defend EA when people on this board used to call them lazy.... they might be rite.
ALso the pesentation really bore me out, I enjoy NCAA non comentary more the this game

I think this game is worth $30 I mean come on guys stop being cheap, but I definly wont pay $50 for it

also do any body kno how to view player awards? I realize its in the game from lookin in the player info screen.

Last edited by Jukeman; 02-12-2006 at 12:47 PM.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:08 AM   #64
RIP Brodie!!!

CaptainZombie's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
I'm having the same problem. I've watched Arena Football from time to time, but I'm not a huge fan. I think it's a little interesting to see how EA's been able to tweak the Madden engine, and for what it may mean for current gen Madden 2007. But outside of that, the gameplay's pretty bland and I'm just not feeling the "atmosphere" (if you can call it that). I liked watching players get knocked over walls but that got old after a short time. Then there's the soft Madden tackles that have made their way to the game, where too often defenders seem concerned with pushing offensive players to the ground than delivering hits/tackles. Still, the tackling system is a bit improved from Madden, in that animations seem more interruptible -players can get hit into the air then hit again while in the air, for example. It's still all one-on-one player interaction but animations don't drag on as long. The trash talk and arguing seems really contrived; players don't seem to react at all emotionally during/after a play then all of a sudden there's a trash talk - just seems forced.

It's not a horrible game, but don't think it's worth $30.
I think it's worth the $30. I bet come next year hopefully EA fixes the problems from this years version. We want to see AFL2, Expand the playbooks, Show more of the Crowd, and Trash Talking/Late Hits need to really be toned down.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »