Home

Hypothetical...

This is a discussion on Hypothetical... within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-19-2006, 09:48 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 9
Hypothetical...

If the SNES or NES version of Tecmo Super Bowl was re-released with the exact same game engine, but they updated the rosters and added a franchise mode, would anyone else drop everything and get it?

It would be the single greatest video game event of all time IMO.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-20-2006, 12:36 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 12
Re: Hypothetical...

No.. that game was good for its time, but come on.. it is freaking terrible compared to what we have now..

I'd rather drink beer because drinking alot of beers makes you more manly.
Old 02-20-2006, 12:56 AM   #3
Timbers - Jags - Hokies

The GIGGAS's Arena

OVR: 55

I would get it. Hell yes I would.

It'd be best if it came to the Xbox Live Arcade.

Best day in the history of the Arcade ever.

Member: OS Uni Snob Assoc.
OS OT Post Champ '11

Twitter: @TheGIGGAS_OS
Xbox Live: TheGIGGAS
3DS: 1349-7755-3870
Old 02-20-2006, 01:12 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by EaglesFan
If the SNES or NES version of Tecmo Super Bowl was re-released with the exact same game engine, but they updated the rosters and added a franchise mode, would anyone else drop everything and get it?

It would be the single greatest video game event of all time IMO.

NO WAY!!!!!!!!

no matter how bad the games are nowadays compared to our expectations, they are still light years better than anything from a SNES or NES............
Old 02-20-2006, 07:15 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 9

Games aren't bad nowadays but they aren't as fun as Tecmo. Maybe because I was younger.

Be honest though, when was the last time you enjoyed a football game because it was pure fun? For me, Tecmo is right up there.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-20-2006, 09:27 AM   #6
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Sorta related:

I am saddened that I have never had the opportunity to play Tecmo Bowl, since it's pretty much worshipped as the greatest football game for its time. Football in the olden days for me was the old NFL Quarterback Club series and the still-kicking Madden series (specifically, NFLQBClub, NFLQBClub 96, Madden 97). How did Tecmo Bowl compare to those two series?
Old 02-20-2006, 09:37 AM   #7
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by EaglesFan
Games aren't bad nowadays but they aren't as fun as Tecmo. Maybe because I was younger.

Be honest though, when was the last time you enjoyed a football game because it was pure fun? For me, Tecmo is right up there.
I think part of the problem with us gamers not enjoying the games nowadays is that we expect a bit too much as the consumer. I'll explain.

In most instances, the developers have a rather tight time constraint to put in new features, make sure they work, update rosters, tweak old gameplay features, etc. etc. in order to meet a specific target release date. On our end, we're expecting perfection, regardless how much time the developer has with the product. Not that we should expect less, but given the conditions the developers have to work under, perfection is an awful tall order.

The opposite end of the spectrum are games that either get delayed or get published with the "When It's Done" philosophy. The longer that we have to anticipate a gaming release, the more we expect from it. And when the game finally comes out and its not every last thing we wanted it to be, we generally complain.

My personal opinion is that we should focus on the things the games do right rather than criticize every last minute deficiency. That said, the deficiencies still warrant mentioning so they can be brought to the developer's attention, either for a patch of some sort or a fix in a future iteration of the game, but we shouldn't dwell on them.

It probably sounds like I'm standing on a soapbox or something, though I'm not trying to. I'm just presenting my view of the issue.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:08 AM   #8
MVP

dave360's Arena

OVR: 17

I'd pay 10-15 dollars if they'd drop a new version of Tecmo Bowl (with updated rosters) or even the old version. It would be a lot of fun,

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »