Home

New Pro Football League Forming

This is a discussion on New Pro Football League Forming within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
FIFA 21 Review
Tennis World Tour 2 Review
Doug Flutie's Maximum Football 2020 Review
Poll: Which next-gen console are you going to purchase? (Click to vote)

Old 07-26-2006, 05:04 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 62
New Pro Football League Forming

USA Today Link

Quote:
Are you ready for a little more football?
A group of former college officials headed by former NCAA President Cedric Dempsey will unveil plans Wednesday in New York for a new spring minor league with a twist the eight teams will use colleges as their bases, and feature players from those schools and their affiliated conferences and surrounding regions.
They'll play their games in the schools' stadiums or in bowl facilities. All 44-48 players per team must have graduated from college and exhausted their college eligibility.
"When you look at some of the minor leagues that failed, this is a different model," says Dempsey, chairman of the All American Football League's managing board. "I think it'll have a lot of interest from a fan standpoint."
The league will start play in 2007, with each team probably playing a 14-game schedule from the second week of April to the end of June. Beyond tying them to the Big Ten, Southeastern and Atlantic Coast conferences, Dempsey declined to specify which schools will be affiliated.
The AAFL will start stocking rosters after the NFL's April draft. Players, who'll be employed by the league, will earn about $100,000.
Dempsey and other league founders have talked to some coaches, primarily college and pro retirees, but don't have any commitments, he says. The group is exploring television options. A single businessman whom Dempsey also declined to name initially is bankrolling the league. It hopes ultimately to sell franchises for an initial $2-3 million investment and overall cost of $13-15 million per team.
Affiliated schools will receive $3 million in stadium rent and be permitted to keep revenue from parking and concessions, an arrangement Dempsey says should earn them up to $5 million at a time when their facilities typically are unused.
The college-degree requirement is seen as an incentive for current college players to graduate. Among others involved in putting the league together are former university presidents and chancellors Charles Young (UCLA and Florida), Martin Massengale (Nebraska), Charles Wethington (Kentucky) and former Tennessee athletics director Doug Dickey.
Well this sure isn't the same as the USFL or XFL, and could perhaps actually work. I love the college degree requirement, as perhaps it will keep some borderline kids in school to get an education. I hope this league makes it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-26-2006, 05:34 PM   #2
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53
Re: New Pro Football League Forming

It does have a rather unique spin to it. I like that they're actually starting small rather then trying to be a competitor against the NFL.

I could see this having a niche audience at first then perhaps building into something bigger.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 07-26-2006, 06:17 PM   #3
MVP

dbeth's Arena

OVR: 21

2K FOOTBALL RETURNS!!!

Okay....I just had to say it

Go Badgers!
Old 08-02-2006, 04:50 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 10

I hope it works out....that can be the appetizer before the college/nfl season starts. I really hope it works out but i'm sure my fiance wouldn't share my enthusiasm.
Old 08-02-2006, 06:11 PM   #5
MVP

Donovan's Arena

OVR: 18

Just based on how most upstart new football leagues gave fared the last 20 years, I'd say it flops in its first 5 seasons. It does have an interesting plan though.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-02-2006, 06:53 PM   #6
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

I just heard an interview with the COO of this league.

Some points in interview:

- League will be 8 teams (could be more tho)
- 12 week season and they target the championship game to be played on the 4th of July
- The venues will be picked out by the league itself
- The league will control the players, therefore there will be little to no chance of teams going over the cap
- They WILL have a TV deal in place as they're negotiating with a few networks at this time.

I hope it succeeds

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 08-02-2006, 09:35 PM   #7
MVP

Donovan's Arena

OVR: 18

It'll mean more competition for good "not quite NFL worthy" talent for the CFL.
Old 08-03-2006, 01:50 AM   #8
Greatness

utexas's Arena

OVR: 32

Football junkies everywhere rejoice with me!! The more football the better!
@ipreachsports twitter/instagram
http://powerplayradionetwork.com/
https://www.facebook.com/thesportspreacher/
https://www.facebook.com/ipreachspor...PAGES_TIMELINE

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »