Home

If you were the NFL, what would you do?

This is a discussion on If you were the NFL, what would you do? within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-18-2006, 08:42 AM   #25
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75
Re: If you were the NFL, what would you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
From a strictly business standpoint?

I do nothing and take the obscene amount of money EA is giving me to the bank.
The biggest flaw the NFL faces in the exclusive license for EA is removing any competition for the next round of talks after the 5 year deal expires. EA didn't have much competition before and if this deal killed any development for future games on the 360/PS3, EA would only have to bid against themselves for the license. Maybe EA actually screws over the NFL next time and only pays half the fee without any other bidders around.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2006, 04:13 PM   #26
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
The biggest flaw the NFL faces in the exclusive license for EA is removing any competition for the next round of talks after the 5 year deal expires. EA didn't have much competition before and if this deal killed any development for future games on the 360/PS3, EA would only have to bid against themselves for the license. Maybe EA actually screws over the NFL next time and only pays half the fee without any other bidders around.
You really don't think that NFL would take less money for the next deal, do you???

They would use whatever EA gave them the first time as a bargaining point. If the amount of the contract is not the same the next go round, I would tend to think it would be more. And if EA does not go to NFL to re-up, then it would be obvious that this current deal was bad....... like, really really bad for EA financially........

I just don't think that the NFL would get pimped like that by EA.........
MLB: Chicago White Sox
NCAA: Florida State Seminoles

Old 08-18-2006, 05:01 PM   #27
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayaHataSupreme
You really don't think that NFL would take less money for the next deal, do you???

They would use whatever EA gave them the first time as a bargaining point. If the amount of the contract is not the same the next go round, I would tend to think it would be more. And if EA does not go to NFL to re-up, then it would be obvious that this current deal was bad....... like, really really bad for EA financially........

I just don't think that the NFL would get pimped like that by EA.........
I'm sure the NFL would demand more but what leverage would they have? If EA says we will give you half, what could the NFL do? Didn't EA pay about $600 million over 5 years? Could any other company come close to that? Heck, EA could bail on the NFL and still sell millions of copies of a generic Madden. That was one of the dangers of an exclusive license for the NFL in that they help eliminate the competition and essentially any leverage for the next round of negotiations. There is no company out there that could offer that kind of money and put out an NFL licensed game very quickly other than 2K which is also doubtful. Maybe MS could buy the license and 2K and make a 360 exclusive football title but EA has all the leverage imo.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:14 PM   #28
All Star

DrJones's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelaz1966
The NFL would move away from the exclusive liscense if they could make more money without it.
This is the correct answer.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:28 PM   #29
All Star

DrJones's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon22
I would be scared with how much time 2k has had on this game. I'm feeling its going to hurt Ea
2K has enough spare cash that they can support a full team of producers/programmers/artists to work on an unlicensed football game for 2-3 years? Extremely doubtful. Games are expensive to make, license or no license.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:21 PM   #30
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
Valid point.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:23 PM   #31
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalownership
One thing that really makes me laugh though is the internet forum business gurus who think that because of money 2K wont put out a game. From a "business" standpoint it wouldn't make sense for 2K NOT to put out a game. Surely we all can agree that the 2K5 engine had more life in it. It's ALREADY been developed so now it's just a matter of tweaks. One expense crossed off the list.

Secondly, 2K doesn't have to pay the NFL anymore, another huge expense off the list. One thing we all know about 99.9 percent of all companies love to throw good money to bad especially when quite a bit went to the bad. So even if you look at 2K5 as bad money you just know 2K will throw more at it, hence a generic game.

3rd, at this point whats the use of paying a current NFL player to endorse your product. Well, actually HE CAN'T (not to sure about how the Players Association handles that) but they don't have to kick out the huge TO dollars.
They still have to advertise it but when you really think about it... how many of us have looked at the 360 wall in our local Gamestops? Not exactly a space where a game has to standout to get attention is it? When you're one of 40 games you don't have to have alot of fanfare to get noticed. Especially when you're the newest thing to be on that wall in 5 months. lol exaggerating some there i know
You really think average Joe Consumer is going to buy a unlicensed football game over a game with such brand recognition as Madden?

As I said, 2k struggled in competition with EA, when they had a better game that was licensed. Now to put an unlicensed game out there, after not being on the market for a couple of years and it's going to be a money maker?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2006, 10:36 PM   #32
MVP

xrams's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
You really think average Joe Consumer is going to buy a unlicensed football game over a game with such brand recognition as Madden?

As I said, 2k struggled in competition with EA, when they had a better game that was licensed. Now to put an unlicensed game out there, after not being on the market for a couple of years and it's going to be a money maker?
bk... why are you under the impression that any other football game made is.. and (for all intents & purposes) only being made to replace madden.... it's an alternative.... not a replacement...!!!

Last edited by xrams; 08-19-2006 at 12:19 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »