Home

Pro or College Football?

This is a discussion on Pro or College Football? within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Pro Football 27 34.62%
College Football 39 50.00%
I enjoy both equally 12 15.38%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-18-2007, 01:54 AM   #25
MVP

OVR: 10
Re: Pro or College Football?

From a TV stand point only.. Pro Football

Why are college games so long? It seems that the games run about 4 1/2 to 5 hours.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-18-2007, 09:47 AM   #26
Pro

Greenevol's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by renojedi
I can see your point. So what is your take on the second paragraph of my post:

"Imagine if the coaches voted on the best NFL teams and that is who got the most money, the best players, and the championship opportunities? Or what if because the NFC West is such a weak division, they are never allowed to go to the payoffs. College is about the rich conferences getting richer. Big 10 and others already said they would leave the NCAA if a playoff were instituted and who is going to challenge that? To me, it is a stacked deck. College football is the pro wrestling of sports where the popular teams get to be champions and the others no matter how talented will never even get a shot."

That is the part of college football that kills it for me. What is the point in watching if you know your school won't even be allowed to compete for the title. Say what you will about the NFL, but every September everyone starts 0-0 and everyone has a shot. Granted the Cards and Niners' shot is like 1 mil to one but there is that one glimmer of hope. Sad as it sounds, I'd take the 1 mil to 1 shot they have over the 0 per cent chance Nevada, Fresno St, or Boise St get every year. Even though Boise beat the 7-time champion Okies they still have the same chance next year--zero. There is something seriously wrong with that!

I can agree that college football does not use the best method for determining a national champion.

Im talking about the 3 hour games that you watch on Sat and Sun.

To me, the NFL has become about as exciting as watching paint dry. The teams are just too average. And because of the salary cap and player movement, there's really no emotional bond between fans and teams. Its just a 3 hour punt fest where one teams FG kicker will decide the game 17-13. Its obvious that even the players dont care, cause theyre getting a paycheck and the just turn around and play again next week, sometimes against the same team.

in college football, the players arent that great, and you do get some colossal mismatches every once in a while.

But every week, there's at least 3 or 4 games as entertaining as the Fiesta Bowl.

The NFL is better football, but college is just way more entertaining.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:50 AM   #27
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenevol

To me, the NFL has become about as exciting as watching paint dry. The teams are just too average. And because of the salary cap and player movement, there's really no emotional bond between fans and teams. Its just a 3 hour punt fest where one teams FG kicker will decide the game 17-13. Its obvious that even the players dont care, cause theyre getting a paycheck and the just turn around and play again next week, sometimes against the same team.
The player movement is another thing that has taken away the excitement from the NFL for me too. I used to be foaming at the mouth for Jets/Dolphins games but these days I don't even watch their games. There don't seem to be the great rivalries their used to be. Obviously there are some, but it seems different.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Old 01-18-2007, 12:34 PM   #28
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
The player movement is another thing that has taken away the excitement from the NFL for me too. I used to be foaming at the mouth for Jets/Dolphins games but these days I don't even watch their games. There don't seem to be the great rivalries their used to be. Obviously there are some, but it seems different.
Dolphins-Jets with Marino leading monster scoring games were fantastic. I miss those days of having a great QB.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:03 PM   #29
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
Dolphins-Jets with Marino leading monster scoring games were fantastic. I miss those days of having a great QB.
I was 20 rows back in the corner of the end zone that Marino did the fake-spike play in '94. Such magic. Damn I miss Dan.

Old 01-22-2007, 11:02 AM   #30
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenevol
To me, the NFL has become about as exciting as watching paint dry. The teams are just too average.
Too average? How do you explain the run of NE's three Super-Bowl wins in four years? The high-powered Rams' teams of the late 90's-early 00's? This year's SD Chargers?

I don't honestly understand how you can say that, when we've just witnessed a dynasty from the Patriots. At this point, I have no clue of what you are expecting. If you want 60-59 shootouts, or imbalanced team play, then college is your sport. I'll take the 17-13 score BTW. It holds true of the "any given Sunday" theory.

Last edited by Chip Douglass; 01-22-2007 at 11:05 AM.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:34 AM   #31
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olson-for-Heisman
Too average? How do you explain the run of NE's three Super-Bowl wins in four years? The high-powered Rams' teams of the late 90's-early 00's? This year's SD Chargers?
It would be impossible to expect everyone to be average as its statistically improbable. There will always be exceptions in every system and these teams are it. Many teams in the NFL are very average and capable of good or bad years at the drop of a hat. Its why you see big fluctuations in records every year which you don't see from the top college programs. Some people like this and others don't but there is much more volatility in an NFL program than a college one. Parity is far more prevalent in the NFL which validates the average claim (not necessarily bad).

Fortunes take big swings from year to year in the NFL mainly because the difference in talent level from each team is very close. 15 teams in the NFL this year were between 7-9 to 9-7. Many teams went from losers to winners or vice versa (Jets, Fish, Baltimore, Philly, Washington, Minnesota, New Orleans, and Tampa Bay). Dominant teams of today's parity driven NFL still have major holes in their teams like Indy and Chicago have. How else do you explain the fact that over the last five or six years most Superbowl losers don't even have winning records (this year Seattle is the only exception I think). Pittsburgh only finished 8-8 and they won it all last year. Again, this may be viewed as a good thing but many NFL teams are clearly average.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-22-2007, 01:08 PM   #32
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olson-for-Heisman

I don't honestly understand how you can say that, when we've just witnessed a dynasty from the Patriots. At this point, I have no clue of what you are expecting. If you want 60-59 shootouts, or imbalanced team play, then college is your sport. I'll take the 17-13 score BTW. It holds true of the "any given Sunday" theory.

I kinda touched on that in my post above. I think the talent level is so diluted and not what it was in the 80's that teams win with superior coaching and not superior talent since it's such an even playing field.

IMO, the Patriots won those Super Bowls (and I went to college just outside Boston from '01-'05 so I saw every single Pats game for four straight years during their run) because their staff out coached the opposition (and Brady and Vinitieri were clutch) and not because they out-talented people like the 80's 49er's or Cowboys of the 90's,etc.

As for the "what do you expect" part of your post, basically for me I want to go back to the days when QB's job description wasn't "just don't lose the game for us." I miss the days of Marino, Elway, Kelly, Aikman, etc.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »