Home

Pro or College Football?

This is a discussion on Pro or College Football? within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
FIFA 21 Review
Tennis World Tour 2 Review
Doug Flutie's Maximum Football 2020 Review
Poll: Which next-gen console are you going to purchase? (Click to vote)
View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Pro Football 27 34.62%
College Football 39 50.00%
I enjoy both equally 12 15.38%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-24-2007, 09:36 AM   #49
Return of the Blake

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75
Re: Pro or College Football?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olson-for-Heisman
It's the way it should be. Dynasties and overloaded teams bring illegitimacy to the league. Again, you think there weren't any consequences for having multiple grossly-talented teams? Check Tampa Bay of the 1980's.

Nobody said that wasn't the case. Great dynasties are built on the backs of horrible franchises. Parity is good in many ways but dynasties are also good. NFL ratings are up so most people think the currrent format is great. I wouldn't change the format either but I also have no problem with a lack of parity in college football.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:45 AM   #50
Return of the Blake

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

That article does a good job of saying parity doesn't exist based on the number of close games or overall team records. However it completely ignores the impact the cap has had on the league (good or bad). Does the author really think nothing has changed?

Parity due to the salary cap is based on the premise of a fair playing field which results in quick turnarounds of teams. Fans no longer give up on a team since they can rebuild quickly just as they can fall from grace quickly (like most Superbowl losers in the last 5 or 6 years). Just because we have a similar representation over the last 30 years in terms of close scores and records doesn't mean the league is the same. Many more teams are likely to be great one year and bad the next. Just because we see two teams finish at 11-5 and 5-11 in two consective years doesn't mean parity is a myth. Twenty years ago the same team finished 11-5 while the same loser team finished 5-11. You are far more likely today to see teams flip flop like New Orleans and Tampa Bay did from 2005 to 2006. This is considered a good thing by many but it can't be denied either way.

Furthermore, the article doesn't prove that the talent levels of the top teams now is the same as the talent levels of the top teams pre-cap. The truth about the salary cap is it keeps teams from getting too great or too crappy. You can't stack a team anymore and most great backups will take off for greener pastures elsewhere. Again, this isn't a bad thing for most people but it is reality.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:50 AM   #51
MVP

funky_chicken's Arena

OVR: 37

I voted for both. I like the fact that the teams in the NFL are pretty much even which makes things less predictable. As many have mentioned all teams have a shot.

I like college football because there are plays and things in college football you are not going to see in the NFL such as the option (which I love to watch). A couple of bad things about college that many have eluded to already is the fact the BCS is a joke. Also, it seems it always the same teams in the polls every year. It was nice to see a couple of new teams in the polls this year such as Boise State and Rutgers but year in and year out it is mostly the same teams Michigan, USC, Notre Dame, Florida, Florida State etc.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-24-2007, 11:28 AM   #52
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olson-for-Heisman
It doesn't work both ways. What happens when you have grossly talented teams like the Bills, Cowboys, and 49ers? Using law of averages, you'll have teams of the exact opposite, teams with bottom-of-the-barrel talent by virtue of being swallowed up by the Cowboys and Bills of the NFL (the 1980's Tampa Bay teams), teams who could afford to buy talent when they wish. Maybe it has more appeal to you because of the star power or seeing wild games between two overloaded teams, but I like a level-playing field. I don't want this league to turn into the MLB or college football with a lack of balance.

I don't know, but for me, it creates an interesting playoff scenario knowing everyone has a chance. What about the Patriots over the Rams, Steelers over Colts, Broncos over Packers, Falcons over Vikings, did we see this during the 80's, more upsets? Weren't these games exciting? But no, you'll want to keep individual Yankees-esque teams.
I never said it does work both ways. But even though there is more parity now than 15 years ago, there are still absolutely awful teams in the NFL every year (Raiders, Browns, etc) who are nearly as bad as the 80's Bucs.

From my perspective, there are still god-awful cellar dwellers today without the loaded teams at the top.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Old 01-24-2007, 03:20 PM   #53
Pro

Greenevol's Arena

OVR: 7

Sometimes, I dont think people can see the forest for the trees.

You can bring out all the records and stats and everything you want to prove your case that parity is good.

But I know that for me (And I suspect for a large number of others as well), the NFL has lost something that it had 15 years ago.

Forget about gameplay, and records, whatever. The NFL was more fun when there was a couple truly stacked teams, and getting to that level and winning actually meant that you had accomplished something.

Sure, ratings and attendance is up, but then again, American Idol is the most popular show on TV. To me, that says more about the audience than the show.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:32 PM   #54
Total civic collapse

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenevol
You can bring out all the records and stats and everything you want to prove your case that parity is good.

Forget about gameplay, and records, whatever.
The NFL was more fun when there was a couple truly stacked teams, and getting to that level and winning actually meant that you had accomplished something.

Sure, ratings and attendance is up, but then again, American Idol is the most popular show on TV. To me, that says more about the audience than the show.
Well, I'm bringing a factual argument to the table. I'm not going on a limb and saying, "Well, the NFL was more fun back then." Why? Because the Buffalo Bills and Dallas Cowboys had 15 Pro Bowlers on each squad? The way you'll want it, 3-4 teams should be heads-and-shoulders above the rest of the leauge, and then you'll have the rest. If it requires talent-laden teams to draw your attention, then you shouldn't call yourself a fan. Take the perspective of a Tampa Bay Devil Rays or a Kansas City Royals fan if you want to understand the other side of the argument, because that's what you'll want in the NFL, another form of college football or the MLB.

I want every game to be competitive, everyone to have a chance, and for different varities of winning teams every so often. Let me ask you an honest question: don't you think it's more interesting to have a wide-open field other than an odds-on-favorite. IMO, it is. Look at last year's college basketball tournament. Who would have thought George Mason would have been in the Final Four? No one, that's what parity brings to the table, and they made it very exciting along the way.

Under parity, we've seen the likes of the Rams fall to the Patriots, Colts to the Steelers, Vikings to the Falcons, Packers to the Broncos, etc. To say the on-field product has declined under parity is laugable.

Old 01-24-2007, 07:46 PM   #55
MVP

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenevol
Sometimes, I dont think people can see the forest for the trees.

But I know that for me (And I suspect for a large number of others as well), the NFL has lost something that it had 15 years ago.

Forget about gameplay, and records, whatever. The NFL was more fun when there was a couple truly stacked teams, and getting to that level and winning actually meant that you had accomplished something.

im just the opposite, i love college football because of the passion and hardcore fan support, and the fact that it has more of a country feel to it

but i wish there was a lot more parity in college football, that would make it even all the more exciting to me
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-24-2007, 08:24 PM   #56
Fear Ameer

skitch's Arena

OVR: 32

I prefer college.

Always have, always will.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »